Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so just yesterday i removed my cat and so it is now a straight pipe with an akra slip on.

my friend said that since i do not have a power commander, i will burn my exhaust valves due to the back pressure change. is this true?

right now i am running a bit rich without the cat so it is popping flames all the time which is what i like..i just really hope that what my friend said is not true.

·
Registered
379 Posts
As far as i have been told, with the bikes motor being made to such strength and high standerds, you only need to have 7 inches of pipe after the header pipes and you will not effect the valves.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Running lean can burn a valve up pretty easily. Everything inside a bike's engine is made to very close tolerances (how do you think we get the performance we do?). In my opinion, I would get the powercommander and have a shop make you a custom map.

Sure it'll probably cost you upwards of $700 but taking the head apart and repairing the damage caused by a burnt valve will be more expensive.

Straight pipes are defined as an exhaust system that has no muffler or baffles in it. Simply a pipe straight from the header out the back.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Man, how much does it cost to get a custom map???

G

·
Man, how much does it cost to get a custom map???
When you order the power commander just tell them how your bike is set up and for like $5 extra they will pre install the map you need.
And you can download maps off the power commander site as well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
When you order the power commander just tell them how your bike is set up and for like $5 extra they will pre install the map you need.
And you can download maps off the power commander site as well.
But these aren't custom maps. Each bike setup is slightly different and it may be that a pre-installed or downloaded map is almost perfect in your case but then again.....

It's unlikely to be too far out but you still can't beat a custom map done for your own bike. Not sure on prices in the US but over the pond here you'd be looking at up to £150 for a dyno / emissions run and custom map generation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the flame out of the exhaust and the popping on my DRZ400,turns out the exhaust valves had very little clearance in them.Did a re-shim and its never done it since.I know its a different bike but the same principle,also wouldnt taking the cat off and running a slip on make it run leaner rather than richer? Just a thought.:thumbup

·
Registered
78 Posts
There are so many guys who run slip'on without PCIII's that if it was melting exhaust valves you would hear about it. Go to some other sites and do a quick poll and you will see most do not get a PCIII with a slip on.

Most of the slip on add say you do not need a re-map.

If it was a full system I would say yes on a PCIII's.

And yes running crazy lean will do damage.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
again i said i don't have a cat now..
and some people say i am running lean and some say i am running rich...but i guess i am running lean rather than rich.

but imo..removing the car shouldn't do much harm. my thought is that the bike back fires no matter what even if the cat was there so the flames wouldn't make it out of the exhaust. cus before with the cat on and the flip on, i would hear poppings but no flames. now that the cat is out of the way, the flames are able to reach out of the exhaust.

also the back pressure shouldn't change that much due to the fact that i use a tube that goes from 3" to 2"...not a whole lot of difference...it is not like i used 5" or something. i think it would have been worse if i gutted out the cat leaving a large pipping difference in the exhaust.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Sadly most people aren't mechanics, technicians, or engineers. They might say they aren't having any problems, but considering the average life of a sport bike is only a couple of years, and most bikes see less then 2000miles a year problems are not as likely to crop up in a given amount of time.

Saying something like, "I haven't had a problem yet" is tantamount to jumping out the thirtieth story window and saying at about the third floor. "Hey I did it, and I'm still alive."

Really, if you want to make decent hp or torque gains from the slip-on besides a louder run you need to rejet, or remap even if you aren't concerned about harming your engine.

And more and more with newer sportbikes you'll see warranty declined because you're switching to an aftermarket exhaust. It alters the way the bike runs, and subjects it to stresses it wasn't designed for. So why should kawi, or anyone else for that matter fix damage their unit wasn't designed to handle? Not saying it's pervasive, but it's something to consider.

·
Registered
532 Posts
What you did, (removing the CAT and a slip-on), is similar to putting a full exhaust system on, and by having the slip-on muffler on, there should not be that much of a difference in the cylinder head temperatures that would cause premature valve burn.

In the flying environment, we are able to infinately adjust the mixtures on the piston powered aircraft, and we sometimes run them very lean without too much problems. The main thing to watch, is the cylinder head temperatures, which is difficult to do on a bike, but will show-up on your water temp as well. If it runs too lean, you should see your temp gauge much higher on average than with standard exhaust. If your temp. stay within limits, you should not have a problem.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sadly most people aren't mechanics, technicians, or engineers. They might say they aren't having any problems, but considering the average life of a sport bike is only a couple of years, and most bikes see less then 2000miles a year problems are not as likely to crop up in a given amount of time.

Saying something like, "I haven't had a problem yet" is tantamount to jumping out the thirtieth story window and saying at about the third floor. "Hey I did it, and I'm still alive."

Really, if you want to make decent hp or torque gains from the slip-on besides a louder run you need to rejet, or remap even if you aren't concerned about harming your engine.

And more and more with newer sportbikes you'll see warranty declined because you're switching to an aftermarket exhaust. It alters the way the bike runs, and subjects it to stresses it wasn't designed for. So why should kawi, or anyone else for that matter fix damage their unit wasn't designed to handle? Not saying it's pervasive, but it's something to consider.

Your posts lack merit, all you do is talk shit like you are all knowledgeable because you supposedly work at dealer, if you do you are probably the clean up boy.

There are thousands of guys running slip on's with well over 50000 miles and no PCIII. Vendors would get sued so fast your Harry Potter looking head would spin if slip ons melted exhaust valves.

Working at a dealer is nothing to be proud of. You are the fucks that everyone posts about doing shitty work and giving out bad information. You are one step above a car salesman, so shut the fuck up with your I work at a dealer and I am all knowing shit.

You are also a squid that has endangered your passenger life as I have read your link. You are a disgrace to all the non posers out there. I just hope your passenger had full gear on. It is also evident from your link that the only track time you have seen is playing a video game.

I knew I smelled a squid poser and I was right.

Do not even think of going to the track with your fuck up attitude or you day will end very quickly. Grow up and lean to co exist with others.

It is one thing to debate with others but to spew shit stating only you can be right just shows how much of a squid you are.

Stop spewing out BS choad boy and stop scaring people with your BS.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Wait what? Personal insults are the way to win an argument? Apparently I struck a nerve in the last thread.

You're welcome to whatever you want to your bike, it's your bike. But start asking around at any of the shops and you'll get the same answers - you're better off going with a remap then leaving things they way they are. As I said previously
Sev said:
You're not getting much benefit if anything by just dropping a slip on in place. But you knew that anyways, you're just pissed off because I called you a wanna-be.

I'm excited that you read my "link." My one link. Yeah, I've not been to the track a million times like you obviously have. I'd suggest you get over it and instead of tossing insults around like a 12 year old you actually say something that has some meaning. All I see is the tired rantings of someone who is themselves incapable of affecting the world around them. Give it up :p But you're welcome to continue to be the wannabe road racer I had you pegged as from the start.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wait what? Personal insults are the way to win an argument? Apparently I struck a nerve in the last thread.

You're welcome to whatever you want to your bike, it's your bike. But start asking around at any of the shops and you'll get the same answers - you're better off going with a remap then leaving things they way they are. As I said previously

You're not getting much benefit if anything by just dropping a slip on in place. But you knew that anyways, you're just pissed off because I called you a wanna-be.

I'm excited that you read my "link." My one link. Yeah, I've not been to the track a million times like you obviously have. I'd suggest you get over it and instead of tossing insults around like a 12 year old you actually say something that has some meaning. All I see is the tired rantings of someone who is themselves incapable of affecting the world around them. Give it up :p But you're welcome to continue to be the wannabe road racer I had you pegged as from the start.

Does you Mom know you are using the computer?

Struck a nerve, yes you did when you freaked him out by telling him he will melt an exhaust valve by installing a slip on. Clearly you do not know shit, if you think installing a slip on will melt exhaust valves clearley you need to go back and get certified on motorcycle repair that is if you are even certified in the first place, but I bet not. Than again what do you expect from the dealer. Next thing will be telling folks to grease their muffler bearings.

We are not talking performance just melting a valve so do not cloud the issue.

Go back to your basement and play with you dolls, ops I mean action figures.

I do make it to Canada once a year to visit friends and would very much like to stop by the shop you work at and meet you face to face.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Feel free, I live in Edmonton AB... so I mean I know Canada is a small place, but if you've got time. Stop by. We can hit up Stratotech raceway while we're at it. I'm not the fastest, but I'm not slow either ;) Hell, I'll pick you up from the airport if it's that important to you.

And I never said that he would, I said that he could burn up a valve. And despite what you seem to think insults don't make my points any less valid. So unless you've gone through and tested every possible pipe on every possible bike to confirm that it is running within a "safe" air/fuel ratio you can't exactly speak for what is being said.

Common sense, and decent advise dictate that you should be adjusting the bike's air/fuel ratio once you start altering intake and exhaust as you yourself have said. So I'd rather offer the "Safe" advice online where I would consider myself to be responsible for whatever happened to his bike afterwards. Just like I'll always advise a fullface over a 3/4 helmet. Opps, clouding the issue.

I think the real issue here is that you're still butt-hurt over me calling you a wannabe. It's okay, you'll get over it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nice backpedaling on the melting exhaust valve.

I could give a fuck what you call me and yes I am a wanna be. I wanna have the skills of Doohan and Rossi and wanna be banging Jessica Simpson.

To you I am a wanna be and to me you are just another looser squid fucking up the sport for the rest of us so lets call it even and move on.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts