Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '05 ZX6R has a weird problem and I'm hoping some of you might have some insight.
I was practicing wheelies the other day in 1st gear and after a while my bike started acting funny. Whenever I would set the bike down around 10k rpm and let of the gas the bike would start to buck....almost like the clutch was catching and releasing. Shortly after, it started to do this when I was on the gas starting the wheelie. For a moment I thought it might be the clutch slipping but the rpms don't climb when it happens. It only does this in first gear too. I tried pulling the clutch in when it happened to observe the tach and the motor falls back to idle smoothly...no hiccups or hanging rpm's and the bike stops bucking. I'm confused....tranny? clutch? electrical?

The bike only does it above 5k rpms and the bucking occurs at 1k rpm increments on decel.

·
Registered
92 Posts
maybe u lost a tooth in 1st gear in your tranny, try accerating hard all the way through 1st to 15 grand(with the front wheel on the ground), then let the rpms come down to about 4 grand or so, and if its skipping one or both ways i'd say its your tranny. Can't see it being your clutch if it only happens in first. Try a wheelie's in 2nd if you can just to be sure. As far as the ECU goes, only way to tell with that is to swap it for another one. Hopefully its nothing to serious:scared

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wasn't clutching up the bike as I've seen how that can be murder on the clutch over time. I was just rolling on the throttle around 10k to get the bike up in first gear.
As for the slipper, I'm starting to think that might be the problem. On decel it does feel like it's freewheeling and then catching, over and over. The rear isn't locking up at all or dragging. I'm guessing the reason it only does it in
1st is because that's the steepest gear and the slipper is weak to the point that it can't handle that particular gear anymore. 2-6 gear is fine, it's only on decel in 1st.

·
Registered
151 Posts
that sounds like what it is if all your other gears were fine. one more quick question. were you shifting durring your wheelies, and last question if not when you came down from the wheelie and your front wheel touched did you normaly have the clutch in or still on the throttle?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I wasn't shifting during my wheelies, I'm nowhere near that yet, they were all in 1st gear. When I came down from the wheelies and my tire hit the ground I was off the gas and I didn't have the clutch in. I simply let the bike just decel under engine braking and thats when it does it. Whenever I pull the clutch in on decel the bike is fine and the motor drops to idle just like you'd expect. Now it does it every time in 1st gear on decel no matter if I'm wheeling or not. I have an appointment on Tuesday to bring it in to Kawasaki. Hopefully it's just the clutch and not the transmission, they're quoting at least 8 hours for a tranny problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts