Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well kinda...I bought the two bros slip ons for the sound factor and the visual appeal (I love the dual look)

Looking to buy a used header off ebay. Options are, buying the 06-07 header with NO cat in the collector (but possibly smaller diameter piping???) or the 08-11 header (larger diameter???), cutting the collector off, gutting the cat and re-welding the collector.

So far, ive read the larger piping on the 08-11 header was used to offset the cat in the collector. Using the supposed larger piping with a gutted cat would provide more gains then the smaller tubing.

So that leads me to the question. Is it worth the time to cut, hack and weld a 08+ header to make an unknown gain in HP over a 06-07 header?

Also, if a 06-07 header is used on a '11 bike, are the exit ports on the header the same for all years? Meaning, will it line up with my 08-11 slip ons?

Im buying a used header instead of the hacking the one on the bike to avoid down time on the bike.

***After all is said and done, a custom tune on the pc5 will be made to take advantage of the the catless system***

·
Registered
132 Posts
'08 slip ons will not fit 06-07 header the outlet on the header is smaller on the 06-07 and there is no reason to cut and weld the header just take it off and break up the cat with hammer and chisel, screw driver, wooden dowel whatever will reach.

·
Registered
262 Posts
u myswell just look for a good used set of aftermarket pipes.. 4-2-2 system.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I'd listen to Conn-E.I had the 2 Bros slipons for my 09,still have them in a box.
When I installed my Alienhead I took my stock pipe and looked at the stock header.I was shocked at the cat.Couldn't figure how anything flowed through that thing.I'd take the midpipes and mufflers out.Take whatever you have and beat that thing in til it breaks.Pull it out with mechanical fingers or pliers.

Craig

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
the stock cat is just fine to flow your 164+ horsepower machine, it's built for it. truthfully you could push 180+ horsepower that the engine is rated for no problem. the dual exhaust with two 2inch outlets is way big. you could probably run 250hp through that system. A full system optimizes the flow and optimizes how the cyilinders "scavenge" off of eachother. In other words how the exhaust pulses from one cylinder helps pull the gasses from the next cylinder and so on. most of this happens in the header so realistically the muffler inner diameter can be a lot smaller even on full systems but they wouldn't sound as cool.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
'08 slip ons will not fit 06-07 header the outlet on the header is smaller on the 06-07 and there is no reason to cut and weld the header just take it off and break up the cat with hammer and chisel, screw driver, wooden dowel whatever will reach.
i was going to cut and re-weld bc i read that trying to smash the guts without cuting the collector off was very hard. ill try to smash it out first.

u myswell just look for a good used set of aftermarket pipes.. 4-2-2 system.
ive looked for a few weeks and no luck

the stock cat is just fine to flow your 164+ horsepower machine, it's built for it. truthfully you could push 180+ horsepower that the engine is rated for no problem. the dual exhaust with two 2inch outlets is way big. you could probably run 250hp through that system. A full system optimizes the flow and optimizes how the cyilinders "scavenge" off of eachother. In other words how the exhaust pulses from one cylinder helps pull the gasses from the next cylinder and so on. most of this happens in the header so realistically the muffler inner diameter can be a lot smaller even on full systems but they wouldn't sound as cool.
id just like to pick up another 12-15hp with a dual catless setup and a custom tune. if all the brand name exhaust systems (brocks, yoshi etc) can make those numbers then i dont see why i cant.

i know the power is in the header/tune and ill just have to experiment and see if the stock gutted header can make it happen.

picking up a used header on ebay for 50$, gutting the cat and installing can be done in a few hours. if i dont like the sound then all i wasted was 50$ and ill put my original header back on

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have to gently disagree with one of the posters on this thread......

I have a 2009.

I installed a 2006 catless, jet hot coated header.

I cut down the stock mid pipes and installed after market Tsukigi carbon race canisters.

The mufflers from any 14 up to the 2012s are identical, it's the OD of the slip connector on the headers which are different. To us a early non-cat header with a later exhaust, you must order the early gaskets which have a larger wall thickness.

Part Number 11060-1971

So my combo, 2006 catless header, 2009 mid pipes with mufflers cut off, twin Tsukigi race carbon mufflers.

Good luck!

Clic the pics!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey sportsman, that info is going to help me greatly. Any dyno runs with the new exhaust? Are you using a power commander also?

Those little gaskets you mentioned are 21$ each lol. I can buy a used 08+ header for a few bucks more and beat the cat out lol...Decisions

·
16,062 Posts
I can buy a used 08+ header for a few bucks more and beat the cat out lol...Decisions
That's kinda silly.
The 06/07 header is designed to flow without a cat.
The 08+ header is designed to flow with the cat in place.
Bigger doesn't mean better flow.
There's a lot of other things involved, like velocity and scavaging, etc, that goes into the diameter/design of an exhaust.
You cant counter changes like hacking out a cat and making a big empty chamber, by adjusting fuel maps.
Fuel maps can't correct improper exhaust flow.
They don't just grab any ol' pipe off the shelf and throw it on.
Exhaust is a whole science in itself and the engineers put a lot into it.
You should get the 06/07 header, if you don't want a cat.
Better yet, if you're seriously looking for 15+ HP, you should invest in a full race system.
They're designed from the ground up, to flow properly from start to finish.
Otherwise, it's anyone's guess, how the bike will actually run through the entire rev range, in every gear, with a frankenstein job. Even if the fuel maps are tuned.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
That's kinda silly.
The 06/07 header is designed to flow without a cat.
The 08+ header is designed to flow with the cat in place.
Bigger doesn't mean better flow.
There's a lot of other things involved, like velocity and scavaging, etc, that goes into the diameter/design of an exhaust.
You cant counter changes like hacking out a cat and making a big empty chamber, by adjusting fuel maps.
Fuel maps can't correct improper exhaust flow.
They don't just grab any ol' pipe off the shelf and throw it on.
Exhaust is a whole science in itself and the engineers put a lot into it.
You should get the 06/07 header, if you don't want a cat.
Better yet, if you're seriously looking for 15+ HP, you should invest in a full race system.
They're designed from the ground up, to flow properly from start to finish.
Otherwise, it's anyone's guess, how the bike will actually run through the entire rev range, in every gear, with a frankenstein job. Even if the fuel maps are tuned.
+1 every once in a while I hear a story about someone's frankenstein job making more power in some rpm range than an aftermarket pipe but... Usually not or if it does it is in a very narrow band of the whole rpm range . I'm all for simple mods that make power but as far as exhaust goes you usually get more from the tuned full system but if you get that thing on a dyno and make some power post up and share your experience .:thumbup

·
Registered
97 Posts
Glad to be of some help!

Shop around for the gaskets, better prices can be had.

Yes, I have a Power Commander. With a Jeffo map it made 171 HP with the cat header. A final dyno tune is coming soon to make adjustments for the catless header..

"rrzxter's" post is spot on, there are many factors that go into designing an exhaust system. Velocity, reversion, flow are all factors that some folks don't appreciate. Cost was an object to me, and the petty need to have the same canister on the 14 as well as my REX. So buying an used '06 header for $40.00worked. Picking up a used mid-pipe and muffler set for $50.00 worked for me.

I read of folks hammering out the cat, and as rrzxter had commented, then you'll have a chamber that will cause unneeded turbulence that will hurt performance.

Good luck with your choices.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
hey sportsman,

I picked up those gaskets you were talking about. They are quite thick. They fit perfectly on the header but are too thick. The muffler pipes do not fit over the gaskets. The muffler pipes themselves fit over the header but they are not snug.

**Edit - just re-read your post sportman and i guess i mis-understood the first time around. The oem muffler pipes from my 2011 fit perfectly with these gaskets and the 06 header. I have the two brothers pipes and they dont fit***

Anyone have any suggestions here? I guess ill be looking for gaskets that are thinner but im not sure where to start.

**Edit - i believe these gaskets are called "graphite exhaust gaskets". Guess ill have to find one that will fit which will probably be a huge hassle. Do you think something like this would work? wrap it around the outlet a few times until I get a good fit?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-5961/

·
Premium Member
13,120 Posts
Factory graphite exhaust pipe gaskets are much thinner than that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Factory graphite exhaust pipe gaskets are much thinner than that.
I dont follow you?

These are the gaskets from 06. Yes, the 08+ gaskets are thinner then 06-07 but neither will work with the 2 brothers pipes. I need to find a place that sells gaskets like this and try a few out. Hopefully ill get lucky and find one that fits.

If not, im thinking about just wrapping the outlet tip on the header with some dei exhaust wrap or something similar to make a snug fit

·
Premium Member
13,120 Posts
hey sportsman,

I picked up those gaskets you were talking about. They are quite thick. They fit perfectly on the header but are too thick. The muffler pipes do not fit over the gaskets. The muffler pipes themselves fit over the header but they are not snug.

**Edit - just re-read your post sportman and i guess i mis-understood the first time around. The oem muffler pipes from my 2011 fit perfectly with these gaskets and the 06 header. I have the two brothers pipes and they dont fit***

Anyone have any suggestions here? I guess ill be looking for gaskets that are thinner but im not sure where to start.

**Edit - i believe these gaskets are called "graphite exhaust gaskets". Guess ill have to find one that will fit which will probably be a huge hassle. Do you think something like this would work? wrap it around the outlet a few times until I get a good fit?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-5961/

Those are not the correct gaskets. The correct gaskets are about 3/32" thick at most and would work for the gap shown in your pic. If you like, I can post a pic of the correct gaskets, because I still have them on the stock exhaust cans. The thick gaskets shown look like they could adapt newer cans to older headers, but I've never seen them before. Older headers are 3mm smaller diameter than the newer, 3-cat versions. If you make some, don't use pipe wrap, use thin sheet meal. I have used strips of beer can aluminum to sleeve exhaust pipes together and it works just fine. I wouldn't use anything that could burn, move around or disintegrate under pressure, heat and vibration.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the suggestions. Im going to try this thin aluminum sheet I found at home depot. I should be able to wrap it around the header outlet enough times and make a nice snug fit for the mid pipe to rest on. Ill update after the pipes get back from ceramic

·
Registered
262 Posts
LOL dude take your pipes to a muffler shop and they would have them fitted together for ya ina few mins! my place in town would do that for me for less the 10 bucks.. they have a press like the harbor fright one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts