Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I dont race my 14 enough, but I never seem to see the shift light. So I came up with an idea. About a year ago I bought strands of 12V LEDs, and wired them up above the windows in my Home theater room as back lighting. Well, I still had about 3 feet left over. So I had an idea. Put a short strip of them behind the bump on the top of the gauge cluster so you cant see them, and just reflect the light off the windscreen. I just finished this about 10 minutes ago, so I havent ridden with them yet, but honestly I rarely get close to redline, so besides testing them out, it might be awhile before I "need" them.

I took the gauge cluster apart, and started testing the board, and finding spots I could wire up. At first I just wired up the Positive lead to the OEM Shift light LED, and used a ground outside the cluster, and that wouldnt work, you have to use a grounding spot I found inside the cluster itself. After a little more testing, it works great.

Disclaimer: If you mess up your bike, or dont test this first, and mess your bike up, its your own damn fault.
Once you take the cluster apart, there are 4 pins on the LED, K,K,K, and A. I used A as the positive for my new LED strip. And about 1inch to the left, there are 2 solder points marked R60, I used the Left solder point as my ground.

LED strip across the back of the Gauges

LEDs turned off, you cant see them

Shift light and LEDs on Dim

Shift light and LEDs on Bright

And a quick Video, Shift light and LEDs set to Flash

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
Nice idea , I really like the fact that you can't see it until it activates.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
very nice work, looks like something i would do. lol. also nice write up in case someone else wants to follow.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another UFO sighting to phone in.

Nice share.
Its a shift light, it only comes on for about hopefully 1/2 a second or less, and then it turns off.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Very nice. where did you get the led's? not looking for the same ones but it looks like a stick strip type. how many watts? I might steal your idea, just for my bike not to sell lol. Thanks.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ledwholesales.com they sell all different types, some color change, some double wides. Mine was like 300 LEDs for like 16 feet. They also have 150leds for 16 feet and so on. Then you just cut to length. They are all 12volt so after you cut then you just solder on 2 wires for pos and neg. You only need the converter if you plan on running off AC in your home. I think my whole kit with 300 LEDs for 16 feet, converter box and dimmer switch, was like 30-40$. Like I said, I bought mine for mood lighting in my home theater room.

This is all 3 strips on, and at 100% brightness. FYI that's a 50inch for size reference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts