Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

lowering

15K views 38 replies 24 participants last post by  emmygeez 
#1 ·
Just some info in case you didnt know .stock links off of the zx14 fit
perfect without removing the center stand.They drop the rear about 2 inches
i made up some spacers to lift the bars and was able to drop the front 3/4 inches and wow .30 inch inseam here and was not comfortable backing now I
can say what a bike confidence level went up 100 points in one ride.now i know it would be nice to be able to drop both ends equal .But until they make us some parts this will do just fine.if your havin probs with hieght try the zx14 stock links you will be glad you did!:clap

#4 ·
Oil bolt looks high enough(will get some specs).Put a few miles on steering takes ever so slightly more effort in turns but nothing bothersome and prob more stable on the superslab(interstate).I hope someone makes a link for this as its lower than id like but way better than 2 high.As for pics ill work on that.centerstan havent tried yet backs hurtin from yardwork.stock connie link is 6 and 1/4 in length.stock zx14 link is 7 inches.I think 6 and 1/2 is what us 30 inseam guys need.and 1/2 inch spacers up front.

#6 ·
30 Inch inseam here but reluctant to lower the bike though I am tempted. The last bike I did it to I lost some lean angle and ended up low siding it in a corner. I'd love to see some pictures. I am a bit concerned about lowering the front as the travel upwards towards the radiator may get close. it would be nice to get 2 feet firmly on the ground again.

#7 ·
I too replaced my links with stock ZX14's. Worked absolutely perfect. Did not, and will not lower the front end. Gets the oil plug to low for one. I have ridden the bikev over 1000 miles since then, including 4 trips on Deals Gap. The bike handles superbly. I can now flat foot the bike and enjoy it even more. visually, not one person has noticed the lowering and trust me, the stock 14 links really lower that rear. Lastly, I put my 250 lb son on the back seat and tried to bottem it out but didint.... Completely,,, 110% satisfied.

#9 ·
Center stand still worked after I lowered the rear end; however, it was a bitch compared to the ease that the bike used to mount on its rear. Thus, I removed the stand, took it to work, cut 2" off its length, (be careful since the spring mount and the pipe bumper still have to be in the same place) and rewelded it back together. It now sits back as easilly as it ever did. A real pleasure. If your considering this let me know and I will measure my stand so you will know exactly how much to cut.

#10 ·
wow, sounds a good idea but don't you affect the design of the bike doing this?, it seems to ride ok for you I suppose.
I haven't got mine yet, but have ridden a GS1150 for the past 5years, you think the GTR is tall, try the GS:eek:hno .... but, I've adapted by not wheeling back staying on the bike - I've always gotten off, kept the sidestand down if its on flat ground and pushed it to where-ever.
might suit you but I'm also 5'6 with 30inseam, and rarely have feet on the ground, need to slide sideways at lights and can easily hide beside the bike:rotflmao

#12 ·
You guys all have long legs!! I'm 5'8" but my inseam is 28"!! I ride the same way and have the same problems as already stated.
My zx-14 dogbone links are on order.
I also installed a Heli Bar riser which put the bars up 1.5" and back 3/4 ". With the 6+ Calsci shield it makes the ride much more comfortable for me.
I may be asking for those measurements on the centre stand mod. The only problem i see with that is it is somewhat irreversable.
Just my 2 cents

ICBM

#15 ·
Hi Aviator
Just changed my links to the ZX-14 units. Wow! Dr Jekyl & Mr Hyde as far as seating height and feeling of control for my short legged self.
How much did you shorten the centre stand? You stated before it was 2" i beleive. How much did you shorten the side stand?
Handling seems just fine, slightly slower steering response but coming from the cruiser ( Mean Streak) it seems perfect. With the Heli Arc risers & 6+ shield it now fits MY Frame and i don't feel i'm riding up on top of the bike anymore.
I'm much happier now, which is hard to beleive!!!
ICBM

#16 ·
Newbie Here

Hello all. I am new to this forum. I have been having my C14 for about 3 weeks & 2000 miles now. I am a Sales Manager for a Kawasaki dealership here in Louisiana. I put the ZX-14 adjustable links on my bike and they work great, but you do have to lose the center stand. It dropped my bike about 2". I am 5'5" w/a 27" inseam. so I don't suffer much from high altitude oxygen deprivation:crackup Anyway, the height is just right for me as I have always ridden knowing I could just put one foot down. Until this fantastic machine came on the scene, my bike of choice was a Suzuki DL1000 which is a great bike in its own right. I am in a position to ride just about anything on the market as we get several trade ins. Nothing, & I mean NOTHING compares to my C14. For me it is the perfect bike.

#17 ·
Boy that's hard to read..made my eyes go funny

Anyway..I bought these and they work great...Just got to ride everywhere in 3rd gear:rotflmao

#26 ·
Hi Steve
Just the 2 outside links are req'd. I did mine on the centre stand with the help of a floor jack to lift the rear wheel to help align the bolt holes when reinstalling the new longer links. Very easy job. Torque spec on the bolts is 44ft/lbs i think ( from memory )
The differance in seat height is dramatic!!
ICBM

#28 ·
Words of caution for all who would lower the C-14 with ZX-14 links. YOU WILL HAVE TO SHORTEN YOUR SIDESTAND (MINOR JOB) & your centre stand(not so minor job)after you lower . You need to be or know a good welder!
Just thought you should know before you start.
ICBM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.