Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested in lowering my ZX11 an inch.. maybe two. I see these polished lowering links on ebay, what about the front?

Besides ground clearance, are there other cons to this?

I like the lower look, and wouldn't mind a little more foot on the ground when stopped etc..

Any input would be great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lowering changes things. Ground clearance, lean angle clearance, suspension travel, steering geometry, static sag in some cases, etc. If you lower the front and not the rear it reduces the rake and can make the bike turn into corners too quickly and respond twitchy to steering input. Sometimes this is the desired affect. The ZX-11D has 26.0 degrees of rake I believe and that's pretty relaxed as far as sport bikes go. Then again, I have yet to actually ride mine, so keep that in mind as you read on. ;) If you lower the front and rear together.. it should preserve the basic steering geometry pretty good... leaving you with only the other issues I mentioned. A good way to lower the front of the bike is moving the forks higher in the triple clamps. The ZX-11 I just purchased is a 1997 and still has the stock handle bars for now. It appears that it would not be possible to move the forks up in the triples until I have install different clip-on handle bars.. which I ordered and am waiting to arrive. BTW, I am lowering my ZX-11D as well.. I plan on drag racing it only and the lower the better.

On a side note, this ZX-11D came with spacers under the OEM handle bars which raise the handle bars by about 45mm. As near as I can tell.. the purpose of these are to achieve a more comfortable riding position by moving the bars up and closer to the rider. I think something like that would allow the forks to be moved up in the triples and still use the stock handle bars.. would need to look at it closer as I have removed them and soon the stock bars too.. which are bent up pretty bad anyway.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
...On a side note, this ZX-11D came with spacers under the OEM handle bars which raise the handle bars by about 45mm. As near as I can tell.. the purpose of these are to achieve a more comfortable riding position by moving the bars up and closer to the rider. I think something like that would allow the forks to be moved up in the triples and still use the stock handle bars...
There's no spacer under OEM handle bars. The tubular bars are inserted into a casted part that is bolted directly over the triple clamp. However, the way those castings are made allows a small "drop" (~10 mm) of the forks into the said triple clamp.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There's no spacer under OEM handle bars. The tubular bars are inserted into a casted part that is bolted directly over the triple clamp. However, the way those castings are made allows a small "drop" (~10 mm) of the forks into the said triple clamp.
I realize there were not any spacers in the stock setup. Maybe these pictures will help explain what came installed on my ZX-11.

Returned to stock.. at least until my new clip-on arrive.

Riser I removed.

Riser placed back on and holding the stock bar with my hand.

The point is that with either setup there is not a lot of room to raise the forks in the triples. I measured the stock bar and the riser. The stock bar will allow the forks to come up past the top of the triple 16mm and still be able to mount the stock bars flush on the triple clamp. The riser I have actual provide 18.5mm of space.. so that gets you another 2.5mm. Neither are very helpful in lowering the bike. I'm thinking that after market clip-ons are the answer.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
The "shims" are Genmar bar risers and are after-market items. If you want to lower your front while using the Genmars, you can remove the aluminum cylinders and chrome caps. That way, you could theorically move the fork up for the whole 32 mm the Genmar give as a raise AND the ~10 mm the casted OEM part allows. 42 mm is way too much but, at least, you will be able to lower the front.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The "shims" are Genmar bar risers and are after-market items. If you want to lower your front while using the Genmars, you can remove the aluminum cylinders and chrome caps. That way, you could theorically move the fork up for the whole 32 mm the Genmar give as a raise AND the ~10 mm the casted OEM part allows. 42 mm is way too much but, at least, you will be able to lower the front.
"Shims" your word not mine. I know they are after market risers.. um.. and said so. And no.. you could not go past 18.5mm because they are machined in the same manner as the stock bars.. the fork tubes can not pass all the way through them. They have a machined shoulder or ceiling. Do I need more pictures on this?

I get the feeling you did not read this thread from the beginning Claude. :headscratch

Thanks for the brand name info though.. should make them easier to sell on eBay.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
The Genmar I had on my bike for a while had no shoulder inside; I suppose they modified their design somewhere...
I once read about a guy that had his OEM casted bar support machined to allow more displacement for the fork tubes. But I would not do this on mine because of weakening effect.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Found these. Pretty old though, if they are still around I will take 'em.

·
Registered
65 Posts
OOh, I quite like the look of that. What clip ons are those and is it a simple mod? I assume you just slide the forks up and attach the new bars?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yep, stock cowling.

Pacman, I honestly can't remember the brand name of the clip ons, but I got them from an ebay store - Sum of All Parts. I did have to remove some material from the clamps and relocate the bolts that connect the bars to the clamp. I had to do that to make the brake and clutch fluid reservoir fit correctly. After that was done, it is a simple matter to move the fork stanchions up and down in the triple trees. If you mount the clip ons too low you sacrifice some steering turn angle, but you notice that only when doing u-turns.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts