Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Basically it will slow down steering response by altering the geometry of the bike, causing you to run wide through a corner. To keep steering response similar you need to lower front & rear the same amount but lowering too much reduces the ground clearance. 50mm is a large alteration on a sports bike like the 6R.

Why have you lowered it?

Very good site for info on setting suspension up. The effect will be similar to squatting (see Altering Bike Geometry notes)
http://www.gostar-racing.com/club/motorcycle_suspension_set-up.htm
Useful for most supersports or bikes with adjustable preload & damper settings.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The affects of lowering a bike are....

...it doesn't seem to corner or handle right...
Sorry... had to do it. Useful information in the 2 posts above this nonsense. Be cautious. Changing the setup of the bike will obviously change the way it rides. To gain one thing, you must always give up something else. IE: more torque, less top end, more top end... less torque. Your bike was designed to give you a balance and by altering something... something else has to give. It's the law... of physics.

You either have to deal with it the way it is, or learn to stand on your toes (or lean on one foot) at stop lights.:banghead

·
Registered
62 Posts
hmmm?..maybe jus lengthin your legs!..just kidding...im kinda short too, i gotta zzr-600..im only like 5'7 maybe 5'8..totally straight up on the bike with both legs even i tiptoe but i got use to it...its no big deal at all. i can dance all over that bike now..im a stunter also...i dont know how much your talkin about, but maybe u can get use to it...i know this doesnt sound like much help..but i had a real issue with my bike but its ok now..at a stop lite or stop sign is no big deal either..only gotta lean jus a hair to one side, to put my foot flat..good luck buddy,

·
Registered
785 Posts
Hay Bro.
I just got a 2001 ZX 6R about mid summer.
Im 5.9 and the first thing I did was drop it 2.0 in the back and 1.75 in the front.
I REALLY think Im going to go back to stock.
I will more than likely give it a lil more time to get used to, but, I dont like the wider cornering.
Swoosh is very right, "To gain one thing, you must always give up something else."
Im not very sure I want the trade off.:angry
Good luck to ya.

·
Premium Member
4,453 Posts
lowering the seat is be best bet mate ...... then work from there

·
Registered
1 Posts
mook99ta, does it affect your comfort a lot? I'm 5'5 too... and getting the new zx6r soon. Just wondering if you don't lower it, could you tiptoe when the bike is stationary?
Any input from other vertically challenged riders?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm only 5'4" and dont have any problem standing at a light with stock height bikes. well most bikes anyways. Suzukis I cant handle because they're a bit tall. I like the ZX6's because they're almost PERFECT height.

As has been said, for everything there is a tradeoff. in this case, seat height for handling. by lowering the bike, you're changing the things that the engineers designed to perform so perfectly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am a future green zx6r owner. I am in love with the bike, I have the same concern about being able to plant both my feet flat on the ground. Currently I can plant the front balls of my feet, I have test sat on one at the showroom.

My question....has anyone shaved off the stock seat to gain seat height for us short people, and how much?

I am 5'7 as well

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am a future green zx6r owner. I am in love with the bike, I have the same concern about being able to plant both my feet flat on the ground. Currently I can plant the front balls of my feet, I have test sat on one at the showroom.

My question....has anyone shaved off the stock seat to gain seat height for us short people, and how much?

I am 5'7 as well
I am 5'7" also, I do not have a problem reaching the ground, I am almost flat-footed and I ride an '05 ZX-6R. I have ordered lowering links just so I can be flat footed (I am a new rider) but I do not have any problems riding stock height.:nana

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm comfortable riding the 07 zx6r even though my feet arent flat on the ground when I stop (depending on my choice of footwear). When the wind is blowing more than a breeze, I wish I could flat foot the pavement with both feet. I feel people are looking at me in traffic thinking I'm gonna tip it over.
I'm affraid that if I shave the seat cushion, I wont be able to get the cover tight again. I might try it though. Not sure.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Okay. I took the front seat apart. I cut the foam straight across from side to side(so the seat looks flat mostly now except where it goes up near the tank). Anyways, I went to JoAnns fabric and got some foam and leather like material. I got the 1" thick foam. I ended up trimming that in half so that its 1/2" thickness. The leather like stuff is awsome. Not slippery at all. When the seats together I have wrinkles in the JoAnns leather like cover since the material doesnt stretch a great deal. I may put some foam back in the middle of the seat just under where ,if your a guy, your balls are. Sorry. I can put two flat feet on the ground now. I may even trim the plastic on the sides of seat tray cause now the hard plastic hurts the inner thighs. The plastic seat pan is alittle wide. half inch trimming would be ideal. LOL.

Update: I took the seat apart again. I trimmed the side plastic of the seat pan about 1/4 inch on both sides, then took the foam(1/2" thick I bought) and stretched it tight across the plastic seat pan and stapled the foam around the entire thing. Then stapled the original seat cover back on. It looks perfect. No wrinkles and since the seat is slightly narrower on the sides, the plastic sticking into the inner thigh is non-exisistant. Yeh...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Okay.
I bought a factory 07' seat off ebay for $20. I test fit both. I prefer the shaved seat over the stock seat 100%. Bike is more comfortable, I can flat foot the bike (with bike boots), and bike looks more sleek with shaved seat (my imagination probably). :smile Pauly

1 - 20 of 23 Posts