Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 zx6r 30K km, my battery is not charging. I checked the voltage across the battery while running and saw no increase in voltage, just slowly decreasing as it ran. Took off the regulator and measured the resistance based on the service manual and it failed so I know that's bad. Next, I tested the resistance of the stator. All poles have a resistance of 0.2 ohms which is very close to the 0.11-0.17 specs on the service manual, tested for a short through the ground and there were none on all poles. Next, I did a voltage test. set the meter to ac 200 and only got 3-4 volts for each pole. Now I'm confused because if the resistance is in spec and there are no shorts why am I only getting 4 volts AC? The manual says this is a bad flywheel but I've never heard of that going bad. I couldn't find anyone with the same problem as me, any ideas?

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
4,875 Posts
I have a 2012 zx6r 30K km, my battery is not charging. I checked the voltage across the battery while running and saw no increase in voltage, just slowly decreasing as it ran. Took off the regulator and measured the resistance based on the service manual and it failed so I know that's bad. Next, I tested the resistance of the stator. All poles have a resistance of 0.2 ohms which is very close to the 0.11-0.17 specs on the service manual, tested for a short through the ground and there were none on all poles. Next, I did a voltage test. set the meter to ac 200 and only got 3-4 volts for each pole. Now I'm confused because if the resistance is in spec and there are no shorts why am I only getting 4 volts AC? The manual says this is a bad flywheel but I've never heard of that going bad. I couldn't find anyone with the same problem as me, any ideas?
I don't know enough about the '13 zx6r to confidently say this is a known issue. However, when the stator and/or regulator fails, it is good practice to replace both of them. So, I would replace both and conduct the same testing that you just did. Jot down the numbers and refer back to the service manual to ensure the charging system is still within spec.

Reactions: KevA

·
Registered
88 Posts
I agree with the experts, and usually replace all 3 components at once, banish worry.

On troubleshooting electrics, you said: "tested for a short through the ground and there were none on all poles". Just wondering what kind of meter was used? A digital meter can be fooled by a slightly grounded stator; I always use an analog meter at high resistance reading, attach one lead to any one of the stator leads, then touch other meter lead to ground, watch for slightest movement of meter. You would be surprised how many times I diagnosed a grounded stator after another tech concluded the stator was okay because their digital meter registered infinity.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with the experts, and usually replace all 3 components at once, banish worry.

On troubleshooting electrics, you said: "tested for a short through the ground and there were none on all poles". Just wondering what kind of meter was used? A digital meter can be fooled by a slightly grounded stator; I always use an analog meter at high resistance reading, attach one lead to any one of the stator leads, then touch other meter lead to ground, watch for slightest movement of meter. You would be surprised how many times I diagnosed a grounded stator after another tech concluded the stator was okay because their digital meter registered infinity.
Thanks for the suggestions, il be sure to try that. I was using this multimeter: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07SHLS639/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and tested for a short by setting it to continuity.

·
Registered
80,81 GS750L, 81 XS1100, 85 FJ1100, 96 GPZ11 (1200 EFI PROJECT), 03 VT11, 06 VT600, 12 ZX14R, 67 C20
151 Posts
If its not charging across the battery at 5k rpm, replace stator and reg/rec 2gether. If it still doesnt charge replace the flywheel. Test ur battery before u replace anything and charge it up if its good. If not, replace it too

1 - 6 of 6 Posts