Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

Low rev problems

868 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  IRL bikes 
#1 ·
Hi all

My 99 zx9r is very sluggish up till 2k revs then it's perfect in high revs, if you rev it to hard it will die.
Bike was lying up for a year, just got full service and cleaned the carbs.

Any ideas ??

#3 ·
If carbs were cleaned b4 u parked it uve got plugged pilots. If it was running fine b4 u parked it n had thrm cleaned just recently to ride again, check w the shop that cleaned em. If u took the whole bike in they did something poorly. But still sounds like plugged pilots.. hold the throttle bout 7-8k rpm n plug the air intake w ur hand. When its about to fully die let it breathe again. Let it clear out n do it a few times. Might b enough 2 clear out the carbs. Make sure u got fresh fuel too. If u havent drained the bowls yet start w that

#4 ·
Hi all

My 99 zx9r is very sluggish up till 2k revs then it's perfect in high revs, if you rev it to hard it will die.
Bike was lying up for a year, just got full service and cleaned the carbs.

Any ideas ??
I had a 99 ZX 9R for many years and never ran it at 2K revs, rarely at 3K, usually 4K to 6K, with occasional runs to 10K. Put 46,000 on it and sold to a very happy buyer. Your problem is not at 2K revs, but at high revs. i.e. full power, fuel pump?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.