Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, the GTR has a smooth gear box but I am getting a clunk when go from neutral to 1st gear. Still using dino oil but going full synthetic in 800 miles or so. My dealer who happens to be an ex-roadracer and current drag racer with many zx-14 engine tear downs under his belt suggested the delay on immediately going to synt from new, also says that the full synt will lessen or cure this issue. Has anyone noticed a marked difference when the change was made?

·
Registered
10 Posts
changed to motul 5100 15/50 @500km made transmission smoother and quieter as it usually does. more important than that it does not give the short rattle on startup that it did before. try it!

·
Registered
93 Posts
loud clunk

I get a clunk going from neutral to 1st aswell but I thought it was because the tickover was too high.I have just had my 600 mile service done and it is exactly the same as before. To me it is exactly the same as a chain drive when going into 1st as I always got a clunk but after serveral shaft drives this is the 1st time as most shaft drives just go in smoothly. What is the correct tickover anyway ?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I get a clunk going from neutral to 1st aswell but I thought it was because the tickover was too high.I have just had my 600 mile service done and it is exactly the same as before. To me it is exactly the same as a chain drive when going into 1st as I always got a clunk but after serveral shaft drives this is the 1st time as most shaft drives just go in smoothly. What is the correct tickover anyway ?
If you are referring to idle speed, I believe the manual says right around 1050 rpm. Mine was set way to high when I picked it up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am reasonably sure that my clunkiness comes from light clutch friction even with the clutch all the way in. I found that at times when the clunk is most noticeable, if I were to walk the bike backwards (with engine running, in 1st gear with clutch pulled all the way in) I get a fair amount of engine resistance. The same process in neutral takes significantly less effort. Dealer says that there is no clutch adjustment. Again he spoke of the synth oil fix. By the way the word is that the Kawasaki full synth oil is made by Motul.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Loud Clunk

I have had my first service done also and the clunk is also still there. I asked the dealer about this but they don't seem to think there is a problem, although it appears to me the dealers still don't know alot about this bike.
People are talking about this Motul synthetic oil but I am finding it hard to buy here in the Uk.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Almost all bikes I have had have some kind of clunk to verying degrees when shifting into First from neutral. I have always assumed it is normal as it doesn't seem to do any harm and only happens from a standstill when first engaging bottom gear. I honestly don't think it is anything to worry about.
You should try BMW. They actually move:scared when engaging first gear. and the clunk is noticable when changing to other gears as well. The 1400GTR gearbox is by far the smoothest I have ever ridden with.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Be happy with the loud clunk. This to me is a sign of a solid transmission. I promise you will never worry about a rolling false neutral after a loud clunk. My bike has the "loud" clunk from N to 1st and I hope it NEVER goes away. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
93 Posts
clunk

I have eliminated most of the so called clunk by adjusting the tickover when the engine is warm.I found my bike has been running at about 1400 rpm since new and was not adjusted on the first service.I have now turned it down to slightly over 1000rpm as the book suggests 1050rpm. This has made a significant improvement and am now happy with the MINOR CLUNK.:rofl

·
Registered
14 Posts
i switched to fully synthetic today. bike seems to ride smoother, shift smoother and sound better. i highly recommend it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Always had the clunk. Same after changing to fully syn. I ride lots of different bikes at work and they all do it. I find that if you pull the clutch leaver in and out a few times before going into gear it helps a bit. Does kinda feel a bit "damage being caused" thou !

Sp

·
Registered
13 Posts
Loud Clunk

Hi Guys'
I've owned two of these GREAT bikes now a 2009 and a 2011.
I've talked to the service mechanic more than once about the clunk and
says it's normal, but to keep an eye on the revs. as the book suggests it should be around 1000 and when the bikes are new they have them up deliberately as things are a little tight, they check revs on first and second service. I only readjusted mine again this last weekend and my bikes now up over 10,000k's. It still clunks, but if the revs are managed it doesn't seem as bad. Just thought I'd throw my tuppence in for you that worry. Enjoy the bike and keep the rubber down.
Bruce

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
But since we are here im glad im not the only one. I was worrying I might be facking up my transmission on the 500 with that clunk. My uncles road king does it too but between you guys and the wall he clunks into every damn gear anyways.

My 650 did it, but it had like 30k miles. Good to know its not damaged.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts