Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday while riding my key came out of the ignition. My daughter's baby shower is tomorrow and I need my bike and order to get there after work.

I've looked up how to hotwire the bike, but the only post with images that I can find involve doing it from under the seat, which I can't open without my key.

Is it possible to unplug the connector from the ignition and do it there? From my understanding I just connect all wires together except for the white and gray, then connect the white and gray with a 100 ohm resistor, then attach those to a toggle switch.

If anybody can help it would be appreciated. I have to get this done tonight after work so that it's ready for tomorrow to get to the shower.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can jump the 100 ohms at the ignitor box .
Maybe a dumb question, but where is the igniter box located? Tried looking it up on Google but it only shows me the CDI / junction box under the seat. Can't get to that because I can't take my seat off.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Scratch that. I was able to get the seats off, and I now have access to the ignition harness, and the cdi box. Just stumped on where to go from here. The only post I can find refer to 5 wires, but my harness coming from the ignition has 7.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My key on my Kawasaki will not pull out when turned on. This is the 2nd thread I have seen in past 2 days where the OP states such happened. The other stated his key poped out when he hit a speed bump lol, and this guy while riding. I guess my Kawasaki ignition is designed different. What am I missing?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My key on my Kawasaki will not pull out when turned on. This is the 2nd thread I have seen in past 2 days where the OP states such happened. The other stated his key poped out when he hit a speed bump lol, and this guy while riding. I guess my Kawasaki ignition is designed different. What am I missing?
25 year old ignition. Probably a bit worn out.

Got it running. Still can't get the tank open, but there's enough fuel to get me where I need to go and back.

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
Without a key, how are you turning the ignition switch on and off? Also very strange that the key can be removed in ON position. Mine is original key, 22 years old and won’t come out. Are you sure the cylinder is not broken?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hotwired it for the time being, so the ignition doesn't need to be turned.

Was working fine last night. All I had to do today was plug my 2 wires to a toggle, but now I'm not getting anything. No time to look at it til later.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My key came out when my ZX7R was in the on position and the bike kept running. I put the key back in shut it to the off position pulled the key out and the bike kept running! Needless to say I replaced the ignition with an oem one. But just goes to show you these things are capable of anything

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mines pulled out in the on position since I got if 4yrs ago, but never had a problem till yesterday. I'm hoping it's the key that was worn, and that a new one will fix it, but I have a feeling that I'll be replacing all the locks soon.

Also found out why it had no power. For some reason there's not enough voltage at the 12v in now. Should be resting at battery voltage, but it's about 2.5v low. Bypassed the wire by drawing power direct from the battery, and it's working again. Got the tank open as well.

·
Administrator
58,375 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well, it was short lived. Starter solenoid decided to start smoking while I was warming the bike up. Would have been no big deal, but apparently the previous owner couldn't be bothered to use the spare 30a fuse, and just used a little piece of a paperclip as a bridge. Flames literally shot out of where the fuse plugs in when the bike was rev'd a bit.

I love my bike, but it's been one thing after another lately.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bike was driving me crazy, so I retired for the night before doing something I'd regret. Looked at it briefly this morning, and it's the starter relay that's smoking when power is applied. Going to have to get all new locks, and a relay, then hope that something else doesn't go wrong.

·
Registered
2 Posts

1 - 18 of 18 Posts