Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i lost the key to my 05 zx6r and i was wondering ifanyone knewabout how much its gunna cost to get a new one, or if it would be cheaper to replace the ignition switch.

·
Registered
165 Posts
think he said he went to the locksmith
since the gas tank lock is the same key took tht peice to the locksmith n the locksmith made it for him
dont go 2 any key cuttin place cuz they cant do it
go 2 a locksmith

·
Registered
101 Posts
IIRC you guys don't have the immobilisor built in (KISS system). If not then thank your lucky stars else it'll get expensive - new ECU required :scared

If you get a locksmith to pick the lock on the tank you should be able to take the tank cap off. Somewhere on the underside of the tank cap should be the serial number for your key and armed with that you will be able to get a Kawi dealer to supply a new key.

Can't remember everything exactly but I'm sure that's the process someone else did which kawimaniac is referring to.

Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
494 Posts
You should have gotten a little tag with your keys that has a 5 digit number on it. That number corresponds to the key number that'll let you order a new set of keys through the dealership. No idea what they cost though.

If you don't have that key anymore it may be possible for them to look up the keytag number for you with your serial number.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i had the same problem a while back. luckily i found my key. if you cant find your old one then you are basically screwed, unless you have the red master key that came with the bike when it was originally purchased. you will have to but a whole new ecu, gas cap, ignition switch, and maybe some other misc parts. if i were you i would try to think real hard about where i might have lost that key. good luck to you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
almost there

well i got a blank kawi key from my deal, i found a guy who says hell deffinmitly cut it, butttt i have to bring him the ignition. when i looked to see how to get it off, theres two almost like rivets holding the ignition on. how do i get them out with out fucking up my bike? would it be easier to just have him pick my tank and cut the key from that?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I removed an ignition from a kawi before. There are four screws holding the ignition in. Two at the top (easy access), two at the bottom (not so easy). The screws are some type of security screw without a head to put a socket or screwdriver on. I used a small chisel and hammer to turn the top ones out. The bottom ones required removing the front cowl and using a drill or dremel to cut the heads off. gl

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
almost

well i had a lock smith pick the gas tank lock in hopes of being able to cut the key that way, turns out the gas tank key only has 4 cuts, the ignition key has 6 cuts soif you loose a key you have to take the ignition out, the gas tank isnt enough:banghead

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
this is getting old

got the ignition out and called kawi to find out where the code was, and they say there is no code. so i say F it and im just doing a bypass for now so i can just ride it, and ill find a new ignition later, plus im just getting the vortex racing fuel cap with blue center. now i need to figure out how to bypass the ignition

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
finally

well i was getting sick of not riding the bike so i took the electric ignition housing, zipties it to the orrig key slot(i took it out and sent it to the lock smith) and use a screw sriver to turn it on. As far as the key goes this is the process.

FIRST remove the gas tank. and loosen/remove all fairings on the left front. You will also have to remove the right side plastic peice just under the handle bars(i dont know whats its called).

-Take the triple tree clamp off the bike( the two allens on the fork clapms and the steering stem nut)

-next take a grinder and gring the heads of the nuts holding the ignition to the triple tree until their just past flush with the washers. You will see a faint circle start to form where the screw treads are coming through. Once their off you can separate the ignition.

-on the bottom side of teh ignition there is a plastic clip with one screw, take the screw out and remove the cover. youll see a bunch of wires and another screw holding the metal bracket on. Remove the screw and the actual ignition peice will come out.

-THERE IS NO CODE ON THE BIKE ANY WHERE FOR THE KET CUTS, you have to bring it to a lock smith, they disassemble the lock and figure the cuts out that way. After they cut a key write the code on the under side of your seat.

*NOTE* the tank lock only has 4 cuts the ignition has five or six so you cant just have a key cut for the tank lock, it wont work on the ignition.

you can how ever take the electrical ignition peice(has a T space in it) and mount it some where so you can turn the bike on and off using a screw driver.

and that is it, the easyest way to getting a new key.

and thanks everyone for all the help, and i hope this comes in handy.:rofl

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
sorry to hear that, if u still have that little code chip they give u u are ok. If not talk to ure dealership. Keys made my local locksmiths arent the same quality.

·
Registered
3 Posts
well i was getting sick of not riding the bike so i took the electric ignition housing, zipties it to the orrig key slot(i took it out and sent it to the lock smith) and use a screw sriver to turn it on. As far as the key goes this is the process.

FIRST remove the gas tank. and loosen/remove all fairings on the left front. You will also have to remove the right side plastic peice just under the handle bars(i dont know whats its called).
Sorry to grave dig, but I have searched everywhere and can't find the answer. I have also lost my only key to an 03 Kawi 636.

How did you remove the gas tank? When I look at the manual you have to remove the front seat and in order to do that you have to remove the rear seat, which requires the key. How do I get the gas tank off without being able to access the bolts under the front seat? Or better yet how do I get the front seat off without being able to get to the bracket under the rear seat? Thanks for any information you can provide.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts