Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
cheap whore
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nephew bought a 2000 250 without a key. Is there anywhere to get the key code via VIN, or or anywhere on the bike besides the helmet lock?

·
cheap whore
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called the local dealer, and they couldn't even give a price for a key, the idiot box didn't display it. I doubt they're equipped to handle that. It's a we sell everything including BMW dealership. Kind of useless.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
You might have to get a new ignition. That or check the wiring diagram. More than likely there is one hot coming from the battery or fuse box and the ignition just connects it to the rest of the wires. So if you cut all the wires going into the ignition and wire nut them together the bike will run. That will at least let him start learning to ride. I had to do it once when my ignition got a short in it. You could wire in a toggle switch and hide it instead of taking the wire nut on and off.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Any locksmith can do it. You might have to provide the blank, which you can get at the dealer or cheaper on ebay. Call around and price the locksmiths. You should be able to get it done for around $50. And pardon me for asking, but how do you buy a bike without a key? I don't know about anyone else, but I show up at someone's house and they're selling a bike with no key, it just sets off all sorts of alarm bells in my head. (But then, I have all sorts of stuff going off in my head all the time so maybe it's just me).

·
cheap whore
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shot in the dark that it is what the fella says it is, and even if it isn't, it was the right deal. We could put $1000 with and still sell it for a profit.

Not having the key cost him $300 off his price right off the top, and then a little more for nit picky stuff.

We've called 9 locksmiths, and without the key code they want $145. Used I can get a lock set for $125 off eBay. If I had the code I could cut the key myself at work, and only be in that for the price of the key.

·
cheap whore
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There aren't any dedicated Kawasaki dealers in Georgia that I've seen.

·
cheap whore
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If they're the same ones I've found, they're general dealers, not kawi only. If that matters.

Took the upper triple clamp off, and removed the ignition switch today. Bike runs, sounds good, my guess is that whoever did a bunch of work to didn't need to work on anything, or only did it after several too many beers. It idles around 5000 rpm because the cables aren't fully secured to the throttle.

Now to get the cylinder off to get to the tumblers to cut the keys. I'll get vids and pictures up soon. It's a little rough, but for $500 I couldn't pass it up.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
I don't think there are any kawi only dealers. I think the only exclusive dealer I have ever seen was a BMW dealer.

·
cheap whore
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good to know.

·
cheap whore
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We just ordered 5 blanks for $16. I have disassembled the ignition lock cylinder and there are no codes anywhere on it. Not even the tumblers are numbered.

All we need really is the ignition lock, helmet and seat lock. Gonna use a keyless gas cap. Found a set for sale online for $75 with key. So we'll have plenty of spares.

·
cheap whore
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wouldn't go with a low rated cap. I first have to drill the old one out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts