Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm looking to buy my first bike and found a Ninja 500 a guy is selling on Craigslist for $500. I think the price is great and am interested in it. I would naturally take it somewhere to get checked out before finalizing anything but in the ad the guy mentions that he thinks the engine is suffering from a "low compression on one cylinder".

I have no idea what this means so I'm just wondering what your all opinions on this are in terms of how bad this would be and how much money this would be to poor into fixing if it is just this one problem. Like I said, I would only purchase this if I could get it looked at first by someone to determine what else if anything may be wrong. If anyone could offer any suggestions or insight, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
Low compression on anything could mean it needs a valve adjustment, or it could mean it needs new rings.

If you take the head off, you have to lap the jug and the head, otherwise you will blow a head gasket every time you start it up because they NATURALLY warp due to so little material being there.

Good news is that motors for them are cheap, just make sure you get a 2nd gen motor as the first gen has serious issues. You could buy the bike, sell the motor for parts, and buy a good working engine and have a good bike for a under a grand.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks for the input. If I decide on just fixing it if the problem is just the adjustment or new rings, is that expensive? I'm really hoping to pull the trigger on this bike soon as its the perfect color for me in orange as it'll go great with my orange '11 Camaro. I was looking at the 250 before this one, is 500 still a good fit for a beginner? I've never ridden a bike before but I will be taking a motorcycle safety course offered by the state. I'm open to all suggestions. I just think $500 is too good to pass up on this bike though.

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damn, you're right. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I think I will pull the trigger on this bike as soon as my tax refund check comes in. I emailed the guy to make sure it was still available so hopefully I'm in luck. Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
Just stick around here and post.

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
Yeah, 500R motors are dirt cheap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.