Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monday im picking up my 1st bike and im wondering what you're opinions are on the best helmets, im ok spending 200-300$ but id rather not spend 500+ You guys can rate ur favorite by comfort and style if you like.
Also apparel like jackets and gloves and all that.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Congrats on your first bike remember to be safe and all that jazz
I would definitely recommend spending that bit more on a nicer helmet, I got a shoei rf1000 when I started riding and still wear it and its a lot more comfortable then the cheaper ones ive tried and helmets last so its a good investment I would say. Mine was only like 350 I think and I like it more then the 250 range ones but Im not sure if like the 500+ arai's are really worth that.
Depending where you're from you'll probably want a leather jacket and a mesh one for hot days. I like Alpinestars, name brand but still pretty affordable. But again I would say pick something on the fact that youll wear it for years since thats how its turned out for me.
hope that helps

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
I personally can't bring myself to spend more the $150-200 on a helmet, because as soon as you have a collision and it scrapes the pavement, it's done for. I've had two. the one i wore in my accident was a Z1R Phantom. It was a little heavy, but it was nice an comfy, not much for vents, and was a little noisy. It also held up well in my crash. I replaced that with a scorpion exo-700. Much better vents, looks to have better areo and the anti-fog shield is going to be a godsend. Can't wait to try it out.

As for leathers, get yourself a full set and wear them. You never know when a deer is going to be standing in your line as you come around a blind turn going way too fast, and when it happens, you'll be glad you had it, I know I was.

So, I'm gonna recommend my crash tested gear because I know how it holds up. I was wearing a Icon overlord jacket. I will recommend that if you go with one of these aggressive fit jackets, zipper it to your pants. Mine pulled up a little while sliding across the pavement and got a nice little patch of rash on my side. Jacket held up really well.

I was wearing AGV sports willow pants. Held up beautifully in the crash. No injuries to my legs at all, and with a replacement of a slider, a couple little scuffs are the only clues I was down.

For gloves, Anything the covers the wrist, reinforced palm is a plus as are hard knuckles.

Boots should have some sort of ankle support, whether they'regood work boots or GP racing boots, that's up to you.

·
16,062 Posts
Monday im picking up my 1st bike and im wondering what you're opinions are on the best helmets, im ok spending 200-300$ but id rather not spend 500+ You guys can rate ur favorite by comfort and style if you like.
Also apparel like jackets and gloves and all that.
You have to rate the comfort and fit for yourself.
Other guys can rate their own helmet till they're blue in the face.
It won't do you a bit of good.
You have to go try them on.
#1 is that it fits you perfectly.
Can't go by name alone.
It has to fit your head shape and be snug, but not too tight.
It can't flop around at all.
Also, keep in mind that the padding will break in after awhile and the fit will loosen up after a few months. Although, not by much.
Take that into account.
If it's so tight that it hurts or feels like your head is in a vise, it's too tight.
If you can shake your head back and forth and the helmet slips back and forth, over your skin, it's too loose.
Doesn't matter if it's $100 or $800, as long as it fits perfectly and has at least a DOT cert.
Go try a bunch on.
Once you find one that fits, then look for that helmet in the paint/graphics scheme you like.

·
Registered
272 Posts
i agree alot with watson 29. i have bought 2 helmets. one was a $40 cheapo and did ok for getting something wrapped around my noggin but keep in mind it was to learn in and my very first bike was a 82 virago 750 (molasses). it was windy and even my ears got cold on a night ride but otherwise it was fine. the other is a Oneal Tirade - they run about $175-$200. very nice and snug around the ears. its a bluetooth helmet so if u have friends u can link for the ride or open riders with bluetooth. has a radio and can sync to ur phone for ur own music or voice calls. looks nice too and functions well. dont know how it holds in the loong run but optimistic. i couldnt ever seeing myself spending more than that for a helm.
whatever u purchase remember ur buying it in case u hit/slide on harshground and ur more than likely gonna slide (worst case scenario). in short, padding is ur friend and open flesh is like fair game in the laws of physics.
i like icon for the green and comfort. i have the icon gloves and a joe rocket jacket. the jackets got padding but i wear a seperate lower back brace just in case. kevlar jeans gives me the appearance im in street jeans but those work great for me. and yes get something to cover those ankle bones.
i seen this smart guy in flip flops, no socks, thin shorts, and no shirt. but at least he had his backwards baseball cap on. <-- makes me cringe with fear for the guy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been looking and for a full outfit helmet, jacket, pants, gloves, and boots it looks close to around 1100$ with tax!!! pretty dang expensive but if itll save my life its well worth it... but my question is about the full body suits, i see them for around 500-600$ seems pretty good to me, do u guys have any opinions on them? also with a full suit how does the boots on the suit work? do u need something under them?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/42/29845/ITEM/AGV-Sport-Willow-One-Piece-Leather-Suit.aspx

·
Registered
106 Posts
Dress for the crash not the ride is what I like to quote. Having said that I try to buy close out products that are of high quality whenever possible. My Shoei TZR was $400 but I got one for $220 shipped. They still make them but not in the color/finish I bought. I recently bought a Bell Revolver in gloss black for $129 shipped and I also have a Zoan (Spain) modular which I like quite a bit for around $130. The Shoei has a fantastic fit and feel but I like modulars and have found some good deals out there.

I do have a cheap $40 Ebay helmet for chick passengers that I wouldn't wear on a daily basis (too noisy and the fit is poor) if my girl rode with me all the time.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
I personally can't bring myself to spend more the $150-200 on a helmet, because as soon as you have a collision and it scrapes the pavement, it's done for. I've had two.
I was with you until I found the $250 dollar 100% CF one.

Unless the helmet is extremely light, I won't pay more than $150. Good news is that this one weighs 1200 grams. When you spend as much time in the seat as I do (or more like some of us here) you really appreciate the light helmet.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
I was with you until I found the $250 dollar 100% CF one.

Unless the helmet is extremely light, I won't pay more than $150. Good news is that this one weighs 1200 grams. When you spend as much time in the seat as I do (or more like some of us here) you really appreciate the light helmet.
1200 grams equals approx. 2.6 lbs. That is definitely extremely light. I hope it fits you well if you decide to buy one.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
1200 grams equals approx. 2.6 lbs. That is definitely extremely light. I hope it fits you well if you decide to buy one.
I did buy it, and if it fits anything like their other offerings, it will be extremely comfortable. I should be getting it Tuesday when the shop opens back up.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Icon gear

I really like Icon gear and helmets. I have 6 of there helmets and 3 textile jackets and 1 leather jacket and 5 pairs of gloves some mesh some leather.

I also try to buy closeout high end stuff.

I have a icon skull jacket that is $600.00 new and i found it for $480.00 shipped.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
yeah most of us on this site wear icon. so as far as jackets go go with icon, helmets are more of a personal thing u have to do trial and error on, i wear an HJC helmet that i love, im looking at other but still i love it, its sentimental as well cause my aunt got it for me as a gift when i rebuilt my first bike....so yeah but make sure u wear boots and gloves and whatnot

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Just get the best quality, best fitting gear you can afford and wear it. That you wear it is the most important thing. :smile

1 - 13 of 13 Posts