Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im currently looking for a kawasaki ninja thats 600cc but I know nothing about motorcycles and as I am looking through craigslist, and I am confused by the naming system of the ninja's what is the differance between a zx6 and a 600ex and stuff like that.

· Registered
484 Posts
If this is your first bike, I would strongly suggest getting a 250R for at least a few months to get used to riding on the road, etc. BUT! What you would be looking for is a ZX6R, which is the 600cc Kawi sportbike.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
why do you say that? do u think a 600 is to much for me to handle?

I feel like a 250 might not be enough for me, my car is a 2006 gto with about 475 hp... Im not looking to do anything crazy but I dont want a bike thats gonna bore me either. Is there anything differant between a 250 and 600 besides the engine?

· Premium Member
4,818 Posts
a 600 isnt too much to handle if you respect the bike and know that it is powerful and can kill you in a second. a 250 can kill you just as quickly as the 6. i started on a 6 and it has worked out fine. depending on you build and size a 250 may be better but if your a bigge person the 6 would be more comfortable.

to answer your question the ex is more of a sport touring i believe. the zx6r is the sportbike with a more aggressive riding style. you will be able to tell by the pictures.

· Premium Member
4,818 Posts
do you go to/live in clemson. i live in spartanburg and ride down in pickens a lot. also 28 in wallhalla is a great road that will lead all the way up to 129 the dragon

· Registered
80 Posts
why do you say that? do u think a 600 is to much for me to handle?

I feel like a 250 might not be enough for me, my car is a 2006 gto with about 475 hp... Im not looking to do anything crazy but I dont want a bike thats gonna bore me either. Is there anything differant between a 250 and 600 besides the engine?
Honestly,kind of an ignorant statement..The power to weight ratio on these bikes is far be on that of cars. The actual power doesn't have as much to do with things as the power-to-weight, that's what really tells the story. Being able to drive a powerful car is no where near a bike nor does it mean you'll be able to handle the 6. I'm not saying you won't just that the car you drive has nothing to do with the bike you want. I too started with a 2006 zx6r cuz that's how I do things, I just jump in both feet. Also you have to remember jsut because your car has 475 hp, it's not going to do a wheelie when you pull the throttle a little too much and buck you off.. Im all for the zx6r but you can't use your car to prove your point. just my .02

· Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Honestly,kind of an ignorant statement..The power to weight ratio on these bikes is far be on that of cars. The actual power doesn't have as much to do with things as the power-to-weight, that's what really tells the story. Being able to drive a powerful car is no where near a bike nor does it mean you'll be able to handle the 6. I'm not saying you won't just that the car you drive has nothing to do with the bike you want. I too started with a 2006 zx6r cuz that's how I do things, I just jump in both feet. Also you have to remember jsut because your car has 475 hp, it's not going to do a wheelie when you pull the throttle a little too much and buck you off.. Im all for the zx6r but you can't use your car to prove your point. just my .02
+1

waiting for a whiskey throttle on this note if this is his thinking

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I understand what you are saying and I didnt mean it like that, i just ment I dont want to be dissapointed with the amount of power a 250 has...

· Registered
6,392 Posts
Start shopping for helmets. Try some on at some close by bike dealers like cyclegear. You will need a helmet when you take your state's licensing learner's course. You will be doing 1 day in the classroom and one or 2 days on the range. you will get some basic training that will prob save your life when you are riding in traffic. If you do buy a helmet first, you can get a gloss black or matte black one. Maybe for graphics a silver and/or white stripes or something. This color scheme will coordinate with everything. You will need some boots that at least cover your ankles. Use some work boots or combat boots for the motorcycle course you are going to take. You should also have some kind of gloves. I saw a couple low speed lay-downs when I took the course quite awhile ago. You can get by WITHOUT a proper riding jacket for now. Use something with long sleeves. Since this is your 1st riding apparel you will be using, don't go out and buy expensive stuff. What is important is that it FITS !!! Let the salesperson help you with a helmet selection. you will find riding bikes is kind of a brotherhood. we all share a common bond. Until you ride, you won't understand.

So, buy a helmet and take the course. since you have a high powered car, I think you may know something about throttle control. A 600 would be fine. if you're a big guy at 240 lbs. or heavier you might consider a bigger bike. The 600 is a better bike all around though. If the 600 Kawasaki has an "R" in the name, it is the supersport model. It will be the lightest with the better suspension and higher output motor. It will also have a more aggressive riding position. Of course it will look the coolest. So buy the 600R or 6R or 6RR when you find a good used one. Low mileage is not as important as bike condition. Look for almost new tires, a non rusted or shiney gold or silver chain and all the lights and horn working correctly. The brakes HAVE TO BE GOOD or you may die out there.

Good luck with your new hobby/sport. Many of us are addicted to riding. you will know you are too if after your first get-off or crash, all you want to do is fix the bike and ride as soon as you can walk OK. Get the picture?

· Administrator
57,861 Posts
a 600 isnt too much to handle if you respect the bike and know that it is powerful and can kill you in a second. a 250 can kill you just as quickly as the 6. i started on a 6 and it has worked out fine. depending on you build and size a 250 may be better but if your a bigge person the 6 would be more comfortable.

to answer your question the ex is more of a sport touring i believe. the zx6r is the sportbike with a more aggressive riding style. you will be able to tell by the pictures.
+1
After owning a 6, it's a very tame bike especially under 11k rpm. I actually retract all my statements about starting out on a 250. You'll be selling that bike in short time.

· Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Start shopping for helmets. Try some on at some close by bike dealers like cyclegear. You will need a helmet when you take your state's licensing learner's course. You will be doing 1 day in the classroom and one or 2 days on the range. you will get some basic training that will prob save your life when you are riding in traffic. If you do buy a helmet first, you can get a gloss black or matte black one. Maybe for graphics a silver and/or white stripes or something. This color scheme will coordinate with everything. You will need some boots that at least cover your ankles. Use some work boots or combat boots for the motorcycle course you are going to take. You should also have some kind of gloves. I saw a couple low speed lay-downs when I took the course quite awhile ago. You can get by WITHOUT a proper riding jacket for now. Use something with long sleeves. Since this is your 1st riding apparel you will be using, don't go out and buy expensive stuff. What is important is that it FITS !!! Let the salesperson help you with a helmet selection. you will find riding bikes is kind of a brotherhood. we all share a common bond. Until you ride, you won't understand.

So, buy a helmet and take the course. since you have a high powered car, I think you may know something about throttle control. A 600 would be fine. if you're a big guy at 240 lbs. or heavier you might consider a bigger bike. The 600 is a better bike all around though. If the 600 Kawasaki has an "R" in the name, it is the supersport model. It will be the lightest with the better suspension and higher output motor. It will also have a more aggressive riding position. Of course it will look the coolest. So buy the 600R or 6R or 6RR when you find a good used one. Low mileage is not as important as bike condition. Look for almost new tires, a non rusted or shiney gold or silver chain and all the lights and horn working correctly. The brakes HAVE TO BE GOOD or you may die out there.

Good luck with your new hobby/sport. Many of us are addicted to riding. you will know you are too if after your first get-off or crash, all you want to do is fix the bike and ride as soon as you can walk OK. Get the picture?
if he lives in sc (the clemson name makes me think so). all you have to do is take a test for a permit then you can ride specific times of the day (daylight usually). after youve had the permit for 90 days you can go try for the liscense. there are no classes or anything else needed. sc doesnt really care.

· Registered
6,392 Posts
if he lives in sc (the clemson name makes me think so). all you have to do is take a test for a permit then you can ride specific times of the day (daylight usually). after youve had the permit for 90 days you can go try for the liscense. there are no classes or anything else needed. sc doesnt really care.
Good information to know about SC.
In Florida you don't have to have insurance either if you wear a helmet. You can ride your bike without an endorsement too. Just go to the dealer and buy it. They will put a temp tag on it. Some of these brand new riders don't even make it off the dealer's lot before they crash. they've never been on a bike before. before I jump out of a perfectly good airplane I would want to learn how to skydive from a professional. Sportbike riding is at least as dangerous as skydiving; probably more so. I was just thinking back to when I first started riding when I was 16 years old and crashed hard when a drunk hit me head-on and I spent 5 months in the hospital. I left the sport for a few years and jumped back in at 22 years old. Had another crash that totaled the bike but not me this time. Left the sport again for 10 years.

This next time I went through the learner's course. I was definitely older and maybe a little wiser. I've been down a half dozen times since then and most of the get-offs have been my fault. They were all speed related for one reason or another. Just riding too fast for conditions or on an unfamiliar road. i was just suggesting the OP learn the basics of riding from a professional instructor before being subjected to cage drivers who could care less about maiming or killing another sportbike rider.

· Premium Member
4,818 Posts
i understand what your saying there are motorcycle saftey/beginner courses all over the area. they hold one every month 5 miles from my house at a local college. they have four different stages of lessons that they off also. the advanced course is the only one that you can ride your own bike on.

· Registered
6,392 Posts
i understand what your saying there are motorcycle saftey/beginner courses all over the area. they hold one every month 5 miles from my house at a local college. they have four different stages of lessons that they off also. the advanced course is the only one that you can ride your own bike on.
That makes sense for the advanced course.
If I'm a new rider I want to ride someone else's bike to learn with. I can practice stalling the bike, pushing it around the track, running over cones and off track. I can practice skidding the rear tire and trying not to run into the rider in front of me. Hopefully I will learn the basics of counter steering so when I'm out canyon riding I won't run wide in corners and bounce over a guardrail and fall over a 2,000 foot cliff to my death.

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
OP, and everyone else here...

Best first kawi would be a 500R, or if you have a little more coin, a 650R.

A 650R is JUST capable of a power wheelie in first gear, but you have to give it a small bounce. A 500R has less power, but is still faster than 90% of the honda ricers - and can still do 120 mph (actual).

The 650R has a higher top speed, more power, damn good torque down low, and is fuel injected with a modern look. The 500R is carbed, hasnt changed since 1987, but costs less.

They are also both under 100 HP, are comfortable, and have enough power to still be damn fun. A 250 struggles on the highway, while these two are both more than capable of passing without being REQUIRED to downshift at highway speeds.

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
Thats how a lot of states are. You do not need to take the course. You can get your "temps" then take a state road test (which sucks). However, the course can be the difference between making it around a turn, or failing to negotiate it and becoming a statistic.

Plus, with rare exception, you get an insurance break for taking it.

· Registered
6,392 Posts
OP, and everyone else here...

Best first kawi would be a 500R, or if you have a little more coin, a 650R.

A 650R is JUST capable of a power wheelie in first gear, but you have to give it a small bounce. A 500R has less power, but is still faster than 90% of the honda ricers - and can still do 120 mph (actual).

The 650R has a higher top speed, more power, damn good torque down low, and is fuel injected with a modern look. The 500R is carbed, hasnt changed since 1987, but costs less.

They are also both under 100 HP, are comfortable, and have enough power to still be damn fun. A 250 struggles on the highway, while these two are both more than capable of passing without being REQUIRED to downshift at highway speeds.
the 500R is the best bike for the job for the reasons you said.
IMO, it's so damn fugly. The 650 looks better, but it's still no 6R. I think the OP is buying used. I'd suggest a 636 for under 4 grand.

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
It isn't a 6R, but that was the point.

I still don't think a new rider needs a 100+ HP motorcycle, even if you really do have to wring it's neck to get the power out of it.

There are plenty of people who buy the 650R and never look back. Unlike the 250, it isn't a bike you just outgrow and sell in two months. They make very capable sport touring bikes, and have more than enough power for any on-road use. Hell, I would make 400 miles trips with my 500, and the 650 is more comfortable by far.

Plus they get 50+ mpg. I managed 58-60 on the 500 more than once.

And 650Rs are easy to find under 4 grand. The dealer I got my 7 from has several. You can get a 2009 with very low miles for about 4 grand. For 4700 they have one that has under 500 miles on it right now.

· Registered
6,392 Posts
It isn't a 6R, but that was the point.

I still don't think a new rider needs a 100+ HP motorcycle, even if you really do have to wring it's neck to get the power out of it.

There are plenty of people who buy the 650R and never look back. Unlike the 250, it isn't a bike you just outgrow and sell in two months. They make very capable sport touring bikes, and have more than enough power for any on-road use. Hell, I would make 400 miles trips with my 500, and the 650 is more comfortable by far.

Plus they get 50+ mpg. I managed 58-60 on the 500 more than once.

And 650Rs are easy to find under 4 grand. The dealer I got my 7 from has several. You can get a 2009 with very low miles for about 4 grand. For 4700 they have one that has under 500 miles on it right now.
I agree, really.
the OP drives an almost 500 Hp cage. I think power is pretty important to this guy. I wonder if he cares at all about ergos. I believe cool looks are very important also. The 650 is an excellent 1st bike even for a heavier rider. I think if the bike got anywhere close to 40mpg, he'd be tickled. Where is the OP btw?

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
In that case he should just go buy a 14 and a life insurance policy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.