Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey, im looking at an 06 zx-6r used in that amazing flat blue, with about 2 k miles

i have a few questions as i am looking at the bike tommarrow

first, what should i look for at the bike while im there ?

what are some common problems with this bike, ( at low miles, and later in the bikes life)

hes asking around 6k with 2k miles on it , it looks great but is that too good to be true ?

and lastly are all zx-6r's also 636s ? ( excluding the zx-6rr 599cc bike)

also, what are some of the quirks with this bike ??

also where do i run a VIN # ( carfax type thing) i wanna check to see if the bike is ok)

thank you very much for your time and reading this post

Jay

·
Registered
92 Posts
Basically these bikes are quirk free. Unless it has been thoroughly abused 2000 miles is really nothing. Nada book gives the '06 a $6500 price tag.

Things to look at? First look at the stock tires. If they are not stock ask why? Do they look abused? Is the rear badly squared? Could be a burn out tire? Check the brake rotors for rust or heavy pitting/scoring/ Lots of brake dust at 2000 miles could indicate a track day or road racer.

Check the plastics for any sign of drop damage. The fasteners are soft allen wrench heads so if the body has been removed they will have slight scarring and rounding inside them. Check the ram air tube. If it has been wheelied hard the tube is prone to crack and droop. The insulating foam should be right against the frame all the way around.

Check the chain for signs of rust. Could have been left outside in the rain? Check the oil color thru the sight glass, ask how often it was changed. How was it broken in?

Test ride it and check clutch engagement and shift feel. Does it stick in any gears?

Look for any aftermarket parts and how they are installed. Could they be crash repair or just for show?

Ask why he wants to sell it? Chance are it's just peachy and the owner wants something bigger or maybe he just wants out of it for personal reason...

ps if it was a 600cc RR model it would be Kawi green. It is blue so unless all th ebody was swapped it is a 636.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kool, thanks for your help, now all i have to worry about is insurence ( i have a few a bunch of points, and one accident)

( but im lookng for just liablity)

·
Registered
92 Posts
No such thing. The matte blue finish is the only thing special about it. The 2006 "special edition ZX6R" was a titanium with flame graphics. Unless it is the 600 cc race only RR Version it is the same ZX6R as the '05 - '06. The owner may have installed a Dyno jet quick shifter but you can up-shift any sportbike without the clutch with practice. Always use the clutch for downshifting though...

·
Registered
26 Posts
just a thought, but you can buy a new one for $7600 and save money on interest and not have to worry about the bike's past.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just a thought, but you can buy a new one for $7600 and save money on interest and not have to worry about the bike's past.

i sure as hell couldnt find a new one for that . . . and i checked it out and it was fine, got a good deal on it and has alotta xtras, hids, stabilizer, rear led tail/ turn signal kit Suede custom seats ( i love them)

·
Registered
26 Posts
i sure as hell couldnt find a new one for that . . . and i checked it out and it was fine, got a good deal on it and has alotta xtras, hids, stabilizer, rear led tail/ turn signal kit Suede custom seats ( i love them)
congrats on the bike.

i just did the deal on my soon-to-be-finalized-sale zx-6r for $7600.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts