Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'm getting ready to ride 2 rallies this year but almost every weekend for the past month, I've gone on long rides equaling about 200 miles round trip. How many of you have gone for distance, and how do you feel on the sport bike. The only thing that I have to keep thinking about is keeping the pressure off my hands, other than that, I feel pretty good. I'd like your guys/gals opinions, and other that stopping often, how would you combat fatigue.....esp in the behind :crackup

·
Premium Member
13,118 Posts
I rode over 5000 miles on a trip to new Mexico and Colorado Fall before last and around 2000 to Texas and back last Spring. on top of 2500 to West Va. and back last summer. This was all on my late, lamented ZZR 1200. I am still working to adapt the ZX-14 to ST duty. If your riding position isn't comfortable and your wind protection isn't adequate, long trips will beat you like a drum. No amount of stretching and hydrating at stops will change that.

I have left here at 6 a.m., met a friend for breakfast and went riding, got back here by 2 p.m. with 400 miles on the clock.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Sometimes I have to worry about too much weight on the bars myself. What I'll do is usually just tuck in and put tits to tank and life is good. If I start getting tired from that, I'll put my passenger pegs down and stretch out my legs on those and just do the "Super Girl" thing all laid out on my bike. I've gone about 400 miles in a single day a few times but thats about it. After that I am pretty tired. Wind protection isn't bad on my 7 either so.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I did a 5600 mile trip on my VFR, 1500 miles on my RC51 (!) and am planning a several thousand mile trip on the zx14 this june. Taking weight ofF my wrists, especially on the RC was easily accomplished by packing my tankbag tight with gear and then basically just layed on it. I've done a couple 800 mile days on the interstate using this method along with the suggestions above. Touring is about personal endurance, so you must be prepared for some discomfort, but for me the reward far outweighs the pain. Just be sure to know when your mind has had enough; mental fatigue can lead to mistakes and tragedy.

·
16,062 Posts
Depends on what you consider a "long" ride.
Anything over a few hundred miles, one way, sucks on a SS, period.
The only thing you can do is to to stop frequently.
If you have wrist and/or neck problems, it sucks real bad.
There was zero consideration for long interstate trips in the designing of these bikes.
It will suck a little less if you:
Are in really good shape and have enough core strength to support your upper body.
You get a taller windscreen.
And you use a tank bag and/or strap a bag to the tail, instead of a backpack.
The extra weight of a backpack, putting weight to the wrists will take it's toll after a few hundred miles.

·
Premium Member
5,064 Posts
My longest day was 500 miles when I rode to the dragon and back in one day. On other rides I normally do 3-400 miles mostly back roads and twistys. Just build your way up to the longer rides, they can be comfortable.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
My longest ride was 220 mi 1-way to Charlotte. Most fun I had on 2 wheels, stopped once only for gas.

My advice? Stay loose and relax (for interstate cruising)...esp your butt lol. I support my weight mostly with my chest on the tank, less on my feet, hands, knees. Heels on the pegs instead of toes and hands open on the clipons, not a closed grip and I can ride for miles and miles. Throwing feet over the passenger pegs helps stretch the legs a by taking the weight off.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I did the Iron Butt 1000 miles in 24 hours on my 93 ZX7. I think the best thing to do is just build up to it. If you're used to only 50 miles a day, jumping to 500 is a bear to handle.

200 miles in one day is a cake walk IMHO.

With sportbikes it has a lot to do with neck strain, wrists and lower back it seems. If you're not used to having a helmet on for 8 hours straight, it takes a bit to get used to.

Same with riding position, there just isn't much room to reposition yourself. Adapting a cruise control might help with wrist strain as well.

Of course I did the 1000 mile marathon when I was 22, now being 34 and wanting to go ride 750 miles to visit my mom is making me think twice. Getting older sucks.

But I wouldn't think twice about 400 miles...

Josh

·
Registered
66 Posts
Longest ride(s) I've personally taken were from Boise, ID all the way up through the twisty mountain roads to Canada. Hit the border, posted up for the night in a cheap-ass Inn, and then came back the next day. Was one of the best trips of my life.

Also have done the big loop around Idaho several times, from Mountain Home, to Sun Valley, to Lowman & Stanley, and back around to Horseshoe Bend and into Boise. It's a healthy 6-8hr ride, especially if there's traffic (and not riding like an asshat).

Good times for sure. I just took my time, made sure my tires were properly warmed up, and took plenty of "scenery breaks" along the roadside up in the mountains. Such a good experience.

Nothin like draggin' knee on mountain roads.

Just watch out for Elk. :crazyloco

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
I have ridden about 600 miles in one day, I pull over once an hour irregardless of whatever..........I walk, stretch and bend the knees. I also use my "core" strength in my mid/upper torso to take weight off my wrists/hands.........basically my hands are loosely gripping the grips and just resting there mostly. I also hydrate at each stop, to combat the loss of time, I do some booty hauling to make up for the lost time, but, I don't go crazy with it........I also prepare for the possible weather conditions, not just what I "see" or might "see" on radar, packing a rain jacket/heavier rain type gloves and of course shield cleaners.........though that's a different thread altogether!

Lots of good tips in this thread, try them and see what works best for YOU. What works for one person, may not work well for another........certainly doesn't hurt if you build up to a long ride as opposed to just going cold turkey! LOL

·
Premium Member
13,118 Posts
A good pair of bicycle shorts with the gel pads on the sitting bones under your riding pants helps quite a bit. Riding LD in jeans is not good because they tend to bunch up in your groin area and smash your junk.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
I regularly do 200 odd miles at a crack. I had a 500R and thats what I started doing the long stuff on, then when I got my 7 I did it again and found it less stressful on that thing for some reason. Probably just used to it.

·
Administrator
58,569 Posts
I've gone one way 160 miles and stopped halfway so I guess 80 miles at one time to stop and get a drink. Now I have a hydration backpack and can get a drink anytime.
I've been reading about what guys do in one day and it's very impressive. The only thing I don't get is what's the hurry? Riding to the dragon, cool. Putting on 1000 miles in 24 hours?:dunno
I went for a week long ride riding 2 up with my wife. I think we did 150 miles one day and stopped to see the sights. The least we went was about 50 miles and stopped again. Didn't want to miss anything.
Main thing is to relax and get in a comfortable position but make sure to move around once in awhile to get the blood pumping. And a good exercise program helps too.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Well if you count stopping, then technically I only ride about 100 miles at a time because I run out of gas shortly afterwards...

Should be able to get 130+ now though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'e ridden for 200 miles round trip as well. My thing was to loosen the grip on the bars and use my core for support instead of sagging. When I found myself slouching in the seat, I became tired and found myself leaning in on my arms and wrists. I also would rest one arm on the tank to get a little rest on the way back.

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
A good pair of bicycle shorts with the gel pads on the sitting bones under your riding pants helps quite a bit. Riding LD in jeans is not good because they tend to bunch up in your groin area and smash your junk.
Great tip! Very true!

+1

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've ridden 225 that's the longest on a bike for me period, wasn't too bad until on the stretch back, my booty was tired, I work out in a gym for a living and have for about 18 yrs, so I at least have that under my belt. We are going to hog rock in IL over 300 miles, music helps for me, I just didn't know how people felt riding a sport bike long distance vs. a cruiser. Thanks guys/gals, I enjoy your input

·
Administrator
58,569 Posts
I have a cruiser and the 14 is way more comfortable.
Haven't been on a long ride on the 6 yet but I would bet it's still more comfortable for me than the cruiser. The cruiser is hard on my back, go figure.

·
16,062 Posts
On a cruiser, you sit upright. Your spine gets compressed with every bump.
On a sportbike, your legs are bent and underneath you.
They absorb all the shock.
The trade-off is that you are supporting your weight with your arms/wrists.
The 14 is a nice middle ground between a cruiser and a trackbike like a 10 or 6. Especially with a small tweak like the 1" bar risers.
I have a bad neck and wrist. 1500 mi on the 6 was a lotta work.
I have a bad lower back too, but it actually felt better while riding.
I'm sure it was because that position relieved compression.
Cool story, huh? :thumbup

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
I've done over 400 miles in a day with only one break on my old cbr and it was brutal . I've also done over 400 miles on my zx and I've learned to take more breaks so it's not as hard all the way around . The moral of the story take more breaks and ride a bigger bike:crazyloco.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts