Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i experienced terminal failure today. the connecting rod for #4 cyl decided it didn't want to stay connected to the piston. and exited the block thru the front. this was very interesting to say the least. so now i'm in search of a new motor.

:banghead Or should i start selling parts on ebay?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Ouch.... sorry, condolences, best wishes. Don't know what else to say other than I feel your pain.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ima second beans statement...not too sure about the whole zx-11 motors going to carts but you'r better off parting out the bike on ebay now before season really starts and while people really want or need the pars...and again im sorry for your loss...R.I.P. 99 ZX-11

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm in luck, johnny cash gets a transplant

:thefinger i struck paydirt today. i found a motor outta an '01 with 4200 on the odometer. $1750.00 + exchange (i told him mine was crap). i've put it on the mastercard today. gonna pick 'er up friday. Lol is that waylon jennings i hear in the background..........on the road again, just can't wait to get back on the road again

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zx11 motors

i guess the zx11 powered cart thing must be a west coast thing. (ya gotta love the internet search engines) no prob finding motors in alabama,georgia, tennessee, so. carolina. as i stated above. i've talked to 25 m.c salvage yards, and everyone had motors for zx12 ,zx11,zx10 zx9 , zx7 . i'm driving about 4 hrs. to get mine.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Git R Done. ... and isn't "on the road again" Willie Nelson? LOL

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i installed the motor last weekend. it was a whole lot easier than i thought it would be. i had it running in about 3 hours. ran kinda rough. i figured carbs needed adjusting. so i drove to the local dealer on tuesday and asked them to look it over and do some fine tuning.....
I picked it up friday. the vacuum switch was bad and the carbs needed a little help, wallet is $300 bucks lighter but, WOW now thats the bike i remember. it feels good to be on the beast again.

p.s. i sold the ducati last week, nobody local knew how to work on it, and closest dealer (70 miles) closed up shop. now its someone elses problem.:evil

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
that is awesome. i think it was dino that made mention to me that zx-11 motors were hard to come by because of the go-cart comment. there was some guy making carts for track racing and zx-11 motors were used in them.

how many miles was on the old motor when it went?

was the zx-11 ever fuel injected?

can it be done...can a zx-12r motor fit into a zx-11??

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
41,159 when she blew. lol, we get alot of nice riding days here in georgia.

fuel injection?? not that i know of. i guess it would be possible, seems costly, and above my mechanical apptitude. thats been the one thing i've noticed about newer bikes. my riding buddy has an 03 gsxr750. he aboslutly kills me on take off. and up until i get to 3rd, theres no contest. however from 100 to 150mph i go right on by.

zx12 motor ?? again that probally gets into strange area for me. not sure about motor mounts, electronics, ect... it sure would be a kick in the pants. if i had a choice i'd stick the 04 zx10-r motor in her. man that beast had real power.

i think i've talked the misses into letting me get new bike next year. i'm liking the black zx10 alot. everytime i visit stealership for parts i must stop & stare.(lol)

·
Registered
43 Posts
beansbaxter said:
that is awesome. i think it was dino that made mention to me that zx-11 motors were hard to come by because of the go-cart comment. there was some guy making carts for track racing and zx-11 motors were used in them.

how many miles was on the old motor when it went?

was the zx-11 ever fuel injected?

can it be done...can a zx-12r motor fit into a zx-11??
According to what I've read over on bigbikeworld.com, the ZZR1200 motor is almost a direct drop in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
1750 is a lot for a motor, did you check ebay?

You can get FI, but you need to buy the whole turbo kit to have it (like me...ha ha ha).

I hear stock rods are good for over 350hp, did you have a bolt failure? WTF??

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yep, when i disassembled the motor for knowledge, i found the conn rod nutz in the oil pan. and being the original owner , i knew no one had been in there.
yes i checked ebay, @ the time i was looking there were 2 motors on. one had a weld on the block, the other was blown too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
with a little over 41k hard miles on the clock, i figured i had got my moneys worth outta her. and $1750 for another heart beat the crap outta $11k for a new ride. the zx 11 may not be the best cornering ride out there, but it will run just about anything down on the straghtaways. i have 4k on the new motor now. last saturday we went to steel alabama to the bike drags. I ran against a friend of mine on a turbo blackbird. he won but i ran 10.68 @ 149mph. not bad for a bike with a full muzzy exhaust, and a poor launch.(lol)

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
polished zx11 said:
will a zx11c motor fit a d model ?
where are all the zx11d motors ?
:crazyloco
Yes, ZX11 motors are interchangeable. I think most are gone into car kits and/or into T-Rex.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i got a 94 zx11 motor , 5k on it professional rebuild not sure wat they did to the lower half since the original owner had it done but i do know they put in better cams and redid the carbs and jetted the carbs
so if ne one knows ne thing looking for a motor let me know

1 - 20 of 21 Posts