Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003, Stock engine / RS3
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
This is my first forum question so, be gentle. There will be many idiot questions from me in the future.
I bought new rotors and pads, tires and bearings for my 2003
Removed front wheel, tire and rotors.
The rim bolt holes at the top where they flare out have what seems to be red loctite on them.(?)
They came out with not much resistance. (?)
I did buy some blue, as the red seems overkill from what I've read.
I've read blue, red, and just torque it properly.
What to do? Thanks in advance.
G
I'm not changing the bearings because the rim spins whisper quiet.;)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I use primarily Blue 242 for Rotor Bolts which is easily removable with hand tools but will prevent the Bolts loosening.
If you want to double down on fastener retention then the Red 271 is excellent but may need some application of heat when trying to remove the Bolts in the future.
Remember always Torque the Bolts to the correct setting.
Or if your feeling adventurous with your wallet then replace the Bolts with new ones from Kawasaki that come with the Locking compound already applied.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use blue on pretty much everything.

The only thing I have red on are engine and trans internals.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
I have to agree with KevA and KB here. I stick mostly to blue so I can remove them later if needed. I haven't delved into the internals of the motor but would most likely go red for the deep parts such as rod bolds. I wouldn't use red on anything aluminum though.. You'll never get it out nicely. ;)

·
6,736 Posts
I run red on my track bike and blue on my street bike. If I screw up a bolt while using red, to me it's a better option to replace it to make sure I don't have something rattle loose while I'm riding closer to the edge. I use red in lots of places on the track bike, like rearsets, damper bolts (I've had bolts loosen so many times I also safety wire the bolts at the damper).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts