Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all was riding today when i geared down the back wheel locked slightly and the bike stalled luckily i wasnt going too quick.any ideas what would cause this dont think it was a botched gear change think it was third to second but could have been fouth to third.thanks for any help.oh by the way its a zx6r g2.

·
Registered
29 Posts
whats a g2 zx6 the new zx6 which i have has a slipper clutch basicaly when you gear down in the old ones the clutch kicks in hard and fast and locksthe rear wheel with a slipper clutch it partialy kicks in so there for you gt no rear wheel lock bit like absbrakes in cars

·
Registered
275 Posts
whats a g2 zx6 the new zx6 which i have has a slipper clutch basicaly when you gear down in the old ones the clutch kicks in hard and fast and locksthe rear wheel with a slipper clutch it partialy kicks in so there for you gt no rear wheel lock bit like absbrakes in cars
i knew my bike had a slipper clutch, and that it was awsome to have. Know I know why is so great about it :) thats a really great feature. Ive only had the bike for 3 days and I have got a chance to read the manual but it impresses me every day

·
Registered
101 Posts
hi all was riding today when i geared down the back wheel locked slightly and the bike stalled luckily i wasnt going too quick.any ideas what would cause this dont think it was a botched gear change think it was third to second but could have been fouth to third.thanks for any help.oh by the way its a zx6r g2.
This doesn't sound like a lack of slipper clutch to me. The 6R is the first bike I've had with a slipper clutch and fast down changes on my previous bikes would lock the back wheel but it would just hop and skip around - certainly never had it stall the engine.

My VFR800 sometimes used to stall coming down the gears fast but that was down to poor fuel injection not the shifting. If it was shifting from high revs quickly it would lock the back wheel and hop and skip like any other bike.

I suppose if you let the revs drop too low for too long a fast downshift could stall the engine but the locking usually happens because you've changed down a couple of gears at high revs quickly so the engine is spinning too fast to stall.

What sort of revs / speed were you doing at the time?

·
Registered
582 Posts
I had a ZX6R '99 G2 and mine would get a bit snakey with heavy braking and downshifting. Even managed to do it to my '06 ZX636 with a slipper clutch because some dumbo (me) forgot to count and went down on gear too many.
gammac

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
was braking from about 40 ish not going for it or braking harshly.had just tightend the chain though but deffo not too tight allingnment marks are equal at each side and i checked the distance from the swingarm piviot to the center of the hub nut so im sure its straight.when i say the back wheel locked it was only very briefly more of a skip i suppose

·
Registered
29 Posts
if the rear wheel is locking as you shift down then its because you have not got a slipper clutch on it its impossible to lock the rear wheel onj the new zx as thats what the slipper clutch is for so you can race it and be aresive with down shifts so it doesnt lock back wheel

·
Registered
144 Posts
I wouldn't say it's impossible, you can lock it up still if you shift down several gears at high speed before dropping the clutch.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I wouldn't say it's impossible, you can lock it up still if you shift down several gears at high speed before dropping the clutch.
You are rite when you say you can still lock it up. All the slipper does is allow the wheel to not lock up and slide for a long time but you can still chatter the back wheel

·
Registered
649 Posts
With out a slipper clutch you just need to blip the throttle for downshifts, that keeps the rear from jumoing around as much. it takes some practice but once you get it down you will wonder why you waited so long to master the technique.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts