Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here but I was hoping someone could help. My 05 zx10r is not circulating the water correctly through the radiator. It has 7900 miles. First, any idea what could be the problem (anyone had this happen b/f)? Second, were is the code sending unit on these bikes? My buddy is pretty knowledgeable about street bikes but all his exp. is with Suzuki's. I'm on a budget so I'm trying to avoid the dealer. Any would be awesome, thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking thermostat but the water isn't making it's way into the radiator? Does the thermostat regulate this?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm not sure about the ninjas, but on most cars, when a thermostat goes, you'll usually have trouble getting the engine to warm up. Thermostats usually break open not closed, to prevent overheating when they do go. But thermostats are usually cheap and should be replace when you change the coolant if there is any doubt. Overheating because there isn't water in the radiator means either the pump is gone or you need to add water. Check the pump and if you change the thermostat, make sure the old gasket is cleaned off completely, new gasket is coated with sealant, don't over tighten the bolts (they crack the aluminum like sparkplugs), and most importantly, install the thermostat in the right direction. Lastly, buy a clymer manual.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is plenty of Coolant in the bike. Is there any way to tell if the water pump is gone without actually replacing it?

·
Registered
151 Posts
You have to drain the bike. Then disassemble the pump. Try to move the impeller up and down or in and out, if it moves, you need a new one. Although it should spin. If the blades are corroded you should replace it too, but then you should also check the inside condition of the radiator.

You should also get the radiator cap pressure tested. or just replace it, they're cheap.

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
go the cap first

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright, we drained the radiator and put new fluid in. took the hose off that runs to the pump. My friend held his hand over the hose and I throttled it, result was my friend now has a hicky on his hand. I'm assuming that the system had an air bubble in it. We put everything back together and warmed the bike up to 205 and it held for quiet sometime (never did come close to over heating). It would run up to 205 and then back down. Seems like everything is working properly now. Thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts