Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's been about a week since i been on a ride, so i thought i would start her up to give the batt. a quick charge. i went upstairs and proceeded to play my guitar for close to an hour before realizing i forgot to turn my bike off. and so i ran to the garage and the fan is roaring, temp gauge reads 216. i jump on and cool her down riding across town and back. she sounds and rides good. man am i lucky it was a cool day! i dont want to ever do that again, but do you guys think i did any damage? would the bike have started spewing coolant and oil if i waited any longer to catch it? im not mechanically inclined at all.

·
Forum Leaders
19,944 Posts
A dumbass move no doubt. But I don't believe you would have done any damage at that temperature in that time, good thing your fan was working :rolleyes

Just make sure your coolant is topped up.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Bah, as long as it isn't way too hot out, you can probably leave the bike idling all day long without issue.

And by too hot, I mean anything less than 100 degrees, assuming the bike is mostly stock and not running lean as hell. Idle isn't exactly a huge load on the cooling system.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You're fine... 216 is minimal. I've come in from a race one time on an R6 bubbling at about 255 or so... bike was fine... but my leg wasn't when the overflow blew all over it and burned the living SHIT outta the inside of my knee and thigh area. I literally about tossed the bike to anyone that would catch in in Pit Lane so I could jump off and strip from my leathers. Still got the scars to talk about.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
You're fine... 216 is minimal. I've come in from a race one time on an R6 bubbling at about 255 or so... bike was fine... but my leg wasn't when the overflow blew all over it and burned the living SHIT outta the inside of my knee and thigh area. I literally about tossed the bike to anyone that would catch in in Pit Lane so I could jump off and strip from my leathers. Still got the scars to talk about.
dude chicks dig scars....just say u got int a bar fight that had a fryer in it

·
Registered
59 Posts
dude chicks dig scars....just say u got int a bar fight that had a fryer in it
Then chicks will really dig that handful I've received over the years :runaway

I'm still thinking a racing story is up there with a bar fight story though :headscratch

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Had to idle mine until the fan came on today because i changed the coolant and that was part of the process. It took a good 20 minutes to reach the point where the fan came on. Maybe get yourself a battery tender for times when she will sit.

·
Premium Member
15,095 Posts
It is fine. That's why liquid cooling was invented and why they have a fan on them.

If your bike was air cooled it probably would have overheated and ate itself for lunch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts