Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, FINALLY had a few minutes to pay attention to my poor old neglected 14. Been sitting lonely in the garage since forever, as I have been gone for work and such.

And I have a stack of some fun toys to add before getting her back on the road in a few weeks so thought I would start with something easy.

Decided to change out the stock turn signal bulbs for LED, and put in an electronic flasher.

Well, the frigging bulbs have a different offset on the pins. :headscratch WTF, instead of the pins being 180 degrees apart, they are about 120 degrees, who the hell thought that was a good idea? Easy enough to fix with a file, and seems to hold, but damn, now I will have to change them out again with some other ones if it does not hold tight enough. If anyone has a link to an LED bulb that is high intensity and has the proper offset pins, please post up.

Anyways, thought I would try a programmable flasher instead of a stock DOT rate. Picked up one of these:

http://www.baysideperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=325_563&products_id=2444 I am sure they are available elsewhere, but I got it there and those guys have always been good to deal with. Even when my wife ordered the wrong harness for my speedo healer, never charged a restock fee or even shipping on the correct harness. :crackup, ah well she tried to surprise me for Christmas........

Works PERFECTLY, direct plug in and make a ground connection. Easy for me as I had installed a PC8 from Eastern Beaver and have all connections right there.

Has 10 different flash patterns, including some decent strobe effect ones. Thought someone else out there may want to switch over as well, and so far this one seems to work easy enough.

Anyways, more stuff to do this coming week, once I cut down a few 100' trees from the corner of my place. They are threatening the house (mine and my neighbours) so it is time to make some firewood. :mfclap sounds easy enough, but I know it will be a LOT more work than I think. Good time for a bonfire I think. Anyone want to help?

OP

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello OP,

I think changing only bulbs is a poor idea .. I tried to do this a few times in each of my bikes, and each time the result was unsatisfactory.. just not enough space for leds, weak power of such bulb, lampshade not adopted to the directional light, ans so on..
so finally I've decided to buy a full set of LED indicators. these indis give a strong light visible even at a large angle..

think about such solution..

Regards,

Daniel

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
those look pretty good buddy. my worries on blacking out any of them is vision for the drivers. i did this on my cars, but not my bike. how are they during the day for visual effects?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same doubts the first time I installed it..
The signals has some kind of chrom reflector inside and they really shine so much - even during the day.
In the near future I will try to make some video in a sunny spot.. and you will see that these indicators are likely to be visible by the other drivers.

Regards,

Daniel

·
Registered
773 Posts
Yes the 1056 LED bulbs don't fit the bulb socket, they are a 1156 type. Filing off one pin is fine, not to worry because the bulb socket is spring loaded and the LED bulb is not going anywhere. My LED bulbs have 48 SMD LEDs and are quite a bit brighter than the stock bulbs. Worry about how bright they are?, the amount of reflection rearward, off center and to the side is not an issue. The LEDs are significantly brighter. Make your own decision on what ya want. I prefer to be a visible as possible, signals are a must to be bright and noticeable, brake lights too.

I know the music sucks

·
Registered
5 Posts
LEDs can last up to 100 times longer than incandescent bulbs. They draw 10 times less amperage and turn on significantly faster than standard factory bulbs. And, because they are solid state, there is no filament to burn out or be damaged by vibration.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Greg, thanks for the post up I was hoping you would chime in. I am going to just do that for now, as I tried one and there is no way it is going to fall out.

The LED's that I got are really high intensity, and are a linear type. I will post up some photos later. Put in a programmable flasher too, and what a difference. I will post up the flash pattern so you can see it, but there is NO mistaking it or claiming you did not notice it, the strobe pattern really stands out.

OP

·
Registered
773 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Greg, thanks for the post up I was hoping you would chime in. I am going to just do that for now, as I tried one and there is no way it is going to fall out.

The LED's that I got are really high intensity, and are a linear type. I will post up some photos later. Put in a programmable flasher too, and what a difference. I will post up the flash pattern so you can see it, but there is NO mistaking it or claiming you did not notice it, the strobe pattern really stands out.

OP
My only concern is if your signals flash in a pattern that could be misconstrued as a law enforcement vehicle you may be in for a ticket. I think strobe like light patterns, even in a turn signal is not allowed on non official vehicles.

To get my turn signals to flash at correct rate I got a replacement signal relay that was PnP.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My only concern is if your signals flash in a pattern that could be misconstrued as a law enforcement vehicle you may be in for a ticket. I think strobe like light patterns, even in a turn signal is not allowed on non official vehicles.

To get my turn signals to flash at correct rate I got a replacement signal relay that was PnP.
I see what you mean, but up here you can have construction and other vehicles with strobe, so long as it is not a color used by emergency vehicles.

OP

·
Registered
773 Posts
I see that you have the sw.motech rack. What do you do with the wires when you take of the rack?
The ADM-L kit has quick disconnects that I tuck under the seat when not in use. When I have them connected to the bags I have 3M protective film on the paint to protect from rubbing. I also use a small piece of thin carpet materiel as extra protection.

cell phone pics, poor quality.

Last one shows the Q-disconnect on the hard case

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
OK, guys you got me thinkin. oh, shit.

i spent a couple hours doing some research on the LED bulb replacement as far as zx14 turn signals. The City or Running light LED replacement is no problem. It's a #194 wedge light. i found a few. Here's the one I would try for the running lites:

about 26 bucks for 2. not cheap, but I find you usually get what you pay for. The more common 9 led in the 194 base you can get in more colors. The colors are cool looking. I especially like the blue. I think there are a few cops that would pull me over. Don't need that. So it's clear or amber for city lites.

How many of you guys with 14's have looked for the #7507 socket base European auto tower LED bulb? No one has mentioned this. this bulb is supposed to fit the 14 turn signal socket perfectly. There are no filing mods needed as with the #1156 socket. Seems to me that using a tower LED light would solve the directional issues and low lite output also. Am I wrong? These lites aren't cheap, but when compared to buying a complete set of European LED turn signal lite assemblies. these look cheaper. You can use the VHT nightshades paint to smoke the lenses as dark as you want. this would be my plan. Here's some pictures of the lights found. (4) of these suckers would cost from 60.00 to 105.00 dollars. Still cheaper than buying new signals.

Here's an 1156 base that would have to be filed a little. This looks like the brightest one of all of these.
Notice also that it's the most expensive.

You guys that are LED experts, whicone of these turnsignal LEDs would you pick for your 14?
Or none of them because they are too expensive? I'm just curious.

the fast blink rate is really a non issue also. Just pick up some 8 Ohm Resistors for Radio Shack. Four of them will cost you about $12.00 total. much cheaper than the ones the bike sites will try to sell you at 10 bucks a piece.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I use the last set you have pictures of. Also for $6.95 you can get a PnP flasher relay that works w/LED's.

Got that relay at superbrightleds. 3 relay versions, bare wire, pin and connector. Get the connector type, plugs right into ZX14 harness.

for the running I used 194 type LEDS from superbright.

PS: I'm not an expert.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Just remember that proper installation of resistors is to bridge from positive to negative placing the resistors in parallel, not series inline. Some people install them incorrectly.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts