Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK i am interested in buying a leather jacket. Now i went into the shop ready to throw money at them...but the sales girl talked me out of it! Anyway i'm still keen on the leather jacket but i do have a few questions.

1. are they hot in summer and cold in winter?
2. are they only really good for sliding?
3. does rain ruin them?

:runaway

·
Registered
990 Posts
From experience I use leathers in Summer & textile in Winter.

1. Upto about 25 degC the leathers are fine as long as you are moving. Over that & any protective clothing will feel like an oven. I undo the zipper a few inches to get some air circulating when really hot. Some jackets have a double zip to allow extra layers in Winter. I have ridden in sub zero (-4 C) & it's warm enough on a 35 mile trip. Textile is more convenient for Winter as you don't have to mess with an oversuit if there is a chance of rain. The makers say that textile breathe in Summer but I found my textile suit more sweaty than leather.

2. don't understand the question

3. treating the leather with a leather oil or saddle soap, etc will keep it in good shape for years. If it gets wet it need to be allowed to dry naturally, excess heat will ruin the leather, re-treat if washed out. I carry an oversuit in case of rain - pretty much all the time in England.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts