Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I’ve just bought a new leather jacket and was wondering if its worth treating the leather with some kind of waterproofing or something to help it last longer? Does anyone do this? If yes what do you use?

Cheers

Shrapers

·
sénior BBQ Master
22,270 Posts
I use the carcasses of dead bugs. The more the better.

·
Premium Member
13,118 Posts
I use Tuf Stuff upholstery cleaner to clean the dead bugs and road residue off my leathers. Leaves a semi-shiny finish that makes it easy to keep clean with a damp rag.

Nikwax Glove-Proof is a good product for treating leather for moisture resistance. I have not had to use it on my jacket and pants, but I coated my Gerbings leather heated gloves with it and it seems to work fairly well.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Leather care

The correct answer is LEXOL cleaner and a good quality LEXOL conditioner/preservative.

Instructions cleaner:
1. Test small inconspicuous area first.
2. Apply a small amount of cleaner to a clean, wet Lexol applicator sponge or cloth.
3. Rub gently into leather to work up lather.
4. Use a clean damp cloth or sponge to wipe away foam and dirt. Towel dry.
5. Follow with Lexol Leather Conditioner.

Instructions conditioner:

1. Clean leather first with Lexol Leather Cleaner.
2. Shake well. Test small, inconspicuous area first.
3. Apply a small amount of conditioner to a clean, wet Lexol applicator sponge or cloth.
4. Rub into leather in a gentle massaging motion. Wipe off excess and repeat if necessary.

Remember, a little bit of Lexol goes a long way. Multiple light coats are better than one heavy coat.

I really like Icon brand conditioner and cleaner for all my leathers!!

·
11,782 Posts
I went to a local leather shop and pickup up some cleaning/conditioning wipes. Use them twice a year. Jacket looks great.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Wash cloth with some hot soapy water. Just tab the cloth in and scrub lightly over the jacket. Have another wash cloth with just water only to wipe off. If you want have a dry towel for it.

But it gets it clean, gets the dirt off and doesn't require any chemicals so you won't bleach it.

·
sénior BBQ Master
22,270 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
How is the nixwax waterproof when it is water based???? That makes no sense at all. If it is water based then water will wash it away!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts