Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys don't get around these parts of the forum much i'm actually working on a friends bike he dropped his 2009 250r from what i can tell his rear brake pedal smashed up against the oil level gauge and its very slowly leaking oil. i checked bike bandit and to replace the hole case cover i believe its 112$ is there any way that you can just replace the glass and or do you guys no of anyone parting out a bike where i can get this cover for chearper?? thanks for you help in advance :rolleyes

· Registered
1,891 Posts
I'm pretty sure that to change the site glass, the whole cover has to be replaced.

Why not try taking off the cover, and seeing if you can somehow fix the glass from the inside? Maybe it just came a off it's seat a little and can be popped back into it's seat. Then maybe some high heat silicone gasket sealer around the edges. That's what I would try first.

Good luck. Let me know how you make out. I'm curious about this one.

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
When in college:

Ghetto fix. Pull cover, inspect.

Caulk the shit out of that thing.

· Registered
1 Posts
I did the exact same thing. You can definitely buy just the glass bit. On bikebandit, it's part number 52005 for $12.66.

Here's what it looks like:
http://www.gpzzone.co.uk/acatalog/52005-1057.jpg

To remove the old one you should smash the rest of the glass then with some needlenose pliers, remove the rubber ring that holds the glass in place. Then after cleaning everything up, pop the new one in. I didn't even need any sort of sealant.

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright this was fairly simple and hopefully if others come across this problem in the future you can direct them here.

so i drained all the oil and pulled the case cover. in order to get the cover off you'll need to remove the clutch cable.

after that use some leverage to get the cover off

with my caveman skillz i punched out the class with a screwdriber and mallet. BYAAH!

then i pried out what was left of the gasket with a stardard screwdriver

i applied a honda gasket sealant/grease that is supposed to resist oil/water etc to the new oil level

then i i applied the same gasket grease case cover and made sure that the clutch lever was properly ingauged wala the bitch doesn't leak anymore!

now that i think about it pulling the case is unnecessary because as long as you don't lose the glass bits into the case after you smash it in you can easily pry whats left out with the screwdriver and install the new piece. either way i was getting paid by the out ;) hope this helps a numpty in the future

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
Oh cool. There was a thread about this on ex500.com where nobody knew how to replace this. They had the guy buy a new cover.

I would post this there, but I got myself permabanned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.