Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, i got in an accident about 3 weeks ago, and most of the damage was on the left side. The left rearset was broke, the tie rod from the shifter to tranny....and my left clip-on dragged on the ground a bit where it screwed up my bar end cap. I was getting my bike ready to put on the new plastics, both front upper, and tail. And i noticed that the bars, turn a little more to the right, say by about the width of a finger then the left clip-on. The positioning screw is still in tack and wasnt damage, and i cannot figure out why its off a little bit. The left side clip-on does not look bent or damaged other then the end cap. Any other Thoughts or ideas? Forks are straight as well.

And secondly, when i shift from neautral to first, it sounds a little loud and jerky then it was before. Also when i start it in gear, it jerks a little forward on that initial time i start it. If i start it a few min later it seems fine? Why does is it Jerky and loud when i shift into first? Possible Damage?

Thanks Plenty

·
Registered
990 Posts
A clip on can twist around on the fork leg, also the fork legs can twist around in the yokes if there has been any sudden impact. Check aligments of everything thoroughly. If there is any doubt remove the fairing/cowling.

If the oil is cold the first shift of the day can be a bit clunky, this is caused by clutch drag normally. Make sure the clutch cable has the correct slack. Unless the release mechanism had some damage there is no reason it should be any different.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i took the forks to be rebuilt...before i layed it down it had a little leak, afterwards it was worse. Everything checked out with the forks. And after inspecting the clamps and other areas, i cant see anything that seems abnormal. I drove it around the block several times, and it seems like it drives straight going 45, its just the clip-on on the right gets about 1/2 inches closer to the tank then that on the left side.

And for the shifting, i drove it around a bit and it shifts fine when driving, its that intial engagement into first that is a bit loud/jerky. When i parked it and shifted into first a few times, it still jerked a bit, to where i can see a slight movement in the back wheel.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Check under the clip-on. I think there may be a pin or bolt that comes up into the top triple clamp. If its tweaked a bit this could account for the misalignment. Also have a look at the stops to see if one has been peened a little by the impact.

gammac

·
Registered
54 Posts
first look at the clip on at the clamp after my wreck it was bent a little really had to look close to see it may even need to take it off and roll it on a flat surface to see it if that doesn't work loosen the tree hold the front brake and bounce the forks if they are out of alignment this should put them back in place hope this helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts