Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A rider pulled up next to me on a mint v-max at a red light bragging about how fast his shiny bike was and how he said it was turbo charged(pointing to the intakes that run along both sides of the tank. When I told him my bike was considered the fastest bike in '86 he through his head back and said HAH!! So we made our left turn, him quircking the throttle on hard then off. Not realizing he had gained nothing on me keeping a steady keep pace throttle on him. I was in the right lane so he was clueless. Taking our right turn onto the get on ramp to the freeway he through me a peace sign across hiss chest as if he wouldn't see me anymore. I had enough! Now I had never been up against anything on this bike but that was all I needed to see. On the right turn (him on the left) I hear him rev then look at me on the right side. I was on his tail light when he let it go(full throttle). I only rolled 2nd let off the throttle for a click(no clutch) and slammed 3rd. I passed the V-max with my front wheel only 1 foot off the ground. I was being pulled hard from the H.P. that I didn't expect from this older machine but was loving it. Doing the same type shift into fourth when my front tire touched he was toast. After trying to catch me by quick shifting his into fourth That was all she wrote. If a bike's turbo or so called can't keep up. GIVE IT UP!!!!!!!!!!! My bike had 18,560mi at this encounter. K&N filter kit, System-K Kerker. MY POINT!!!! NEVER count an old cow out.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
125 hp and weighs about 520 ish pounds full. The fact that you beat that vmax is because the vmax is a heavy pig or (more likely) the guy riding it was an idiot. It sure as hell wasn't turbocharged.

The P-model ZX7R is about on par with your bike, and people walk all over me with newer bikes.

But any new ZX-6R is going to be faster than your old bike lol. If that is the fastest you have ever ridden you are in for a surprise if you buy something newer.

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
125 hp and weighs about 520 ish pounds full. The fact that you beat that vmax is because the vmax is a heavy pig or (more likely) the guy riding it was an idiot. It sure as hell wasn't turbocharged.

The p-model zx7r is about on par with your bike, and people walk all over me with newer bikes.

But any new zx-6r is going to be faster than your old bike lol. If that is the fastest you have ever ridden you are in for a surprise if you buy something newer.
+1

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Gibber you have got a fast motorcycle and turbo charged V-Max's are very rare, all had those ram air tubes.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
If I remember correctly, V-Max RAM air scoops were fakes and air was drawn in from somewhere else.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree!!!!

The P-model ZX7R is about on par with your bike, and people walk all over me with newer bikes.

But any new ZX-6R is going to be faster than your old bike lol. If that is the fastest you have ever ridden you are in for a surprise if you buy something newer.
My old bike's clutch was slipping and I only was teaching the guy a lesson. I know those intakes by the tank are only for top of the head cooling. On a different encounter I did out H.P. a GSXR-1000. I am not sure what year it was but he did get the jump on me. My bike is showing a weight around 550lb. I can say for sure that my old dog still after 25 years had a good powerplant. I think I could have taken him through any winding road. That is really what I love. You will not find a street bike with a 16 inch front wheel with the power of this model anywhere but the track. That is why no one could keep these bikes on two wheels. The 16 on the front is a strait up superbike setup that I love. Which is where I agree with you. It is mostly the rider.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The clutch on my bike is toast. I engage first before anything. From there nothing under 900cc will even stay near me. I have footage! Get a bigger bike. You have obviously never pulled up beside a ZX1000A-1(1000r) NINJA. I raced a R-1 Yamaha that a friend of mine owns (who is a very skilled rider) and that yami only beat my old bike by a tires length. No shit!! We were both all over it! No 1/4 no 1/2. Till we ran out of real estate that is. If there is a bike under 750cc out there that will even come close, I want to see it to put it into guiness. Try again my friend because big bores will prevail. You may get a jump off the line for a sec. But then it is all over. And usually, if you are next to me on a swing machine, I will be pointing at you as I go past on my rear wheel. Get a big bore before putting yourself out there like you did.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You have never seen or could even feel the power of the '86 zx1000A-1. I owned one off the showroom floor and have seen more than 4 of my friends die trying to hold onto them. Raw power and 0-150 speeds do not change. My bike still to this day wil burn 85% of it's competitors in a strait line. So, let's see how many people can take it through curvy roads with the power. I gaurantee you I can run with the latest out-of-the box bikes with experienced riders with no problem on a 25 year old bike. Don't kill yourself trying. But step up. Then call me.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Have you ridden any of the newer literbikes? they weigh 100lbs less than your bike and have 60 more horsepower, not to mention the suspension and other technologies they have that make them handle better and move quicker.

The newer 600s put down the same if not a little more power than your bike and weigh 100lbs less, which equates to at least a tenth or so quicker in the quarter mile.

Not saying your bike isn't fast, but bikes have come a long way in 25 years.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
EPIC
-Cody

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a 2000 929 Blade, which thought was the fastest bike in the world. I traded my GSXR 1100 for it, so bare with me. Then I bought my ZX10, and holy crap have they improved bike over 4 years. Just imagine 25 years. Go test ride a new ZX10, just take it easy, she's a bit of a animal if you don't know her...

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Gibber if you try to run with a late model 600 in the real twistys, you'll soon be pushing up daisys.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
I see you think the world of your late bike, and I dig it, but I am straight up telling you that bike can't hold a candle to anything made in the last 5 years.

For starters, the size of the front wheel has absolutely nothing to do with the power of the bike. Second, that thing weighs a ton. An 09 600R is faster than my ZX7R by a longshot, and my 7 is lighter and makes more power than your bike. Not by much, but it does.
A 2011 ZX-10R weighs 434 wet, and... well, according to this particular thread makes 188 HP at the rear wheel with a slipon and a power commander.
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/general-sportbikes/439433-2011-us-version-zx10r-dyno.html

Based on HP and weight alone, I see no reason why a P-model ZX-7R with a good tune can't easily keep up or beat your bike. Surely if it was regeared. Let alone any new 600 thats pushing 130 hp at the motor.

If you have a little coin to spend, go take a newer 600 for a test ride, or even any zx10 built since 2000. You will be surprised. You talk about slamming it into third and clutching it up a foot - I am reasonably sure a new 10R with the same gear ratio as your bike could easily power up third.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
and weigh 100lbs less, which equates to at least a tenth or so quicker in the quarter mile.
It's not like a car man, 100 lbs isn't a tenth on a bike, thats a difference of 1/5th the weight. That 100 lbs takes a 550lb 125 hp bike from 4.4 lbs per hp to 3.6. Less considering the bikes actually weigh a decent amount less than 450 lbs.

With, say, a 3500 lb car with 300 hp... thats 11.6 to 11.3 @ 3400. As you can see, weight loss is even more valuable as the weight decreases, and 3000 lbs makes it even more important.

There are cars out there that make less power than our bikes. A 2010 ZX-6R is 383 dry, and 107 hp (at the wheel, couldn't find crank HP, must be around 120 because previous years are listed as about 128). Which works out to 3.58.

And keep in mind, I was comparing kawi's rated crank HP with the previous post's bikes. And hell, the ZX6s actually lost power since 2005.

Annnd I'm bored with the airmchair racing. Would have just posted stock 1/4 mile ETs for both bikes, but I can't find shit on the old 1000.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you wanna take a drive up to Pa, I'll let ya take a spin on my gen 4.
I'm pretty confident you'll find it a perspective changing ride.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Yup, top speed was 143, or so it was claimed. Which means the 1000 is geared much lower than the ZX-7R with a top speed up around 158 or some shit like that.

Gear the 7 down to match the 1000 and the 7 wins.

And that link claims the 1000 is 588 lbs with a full tank, which is even worse.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Top speed of 143mph, I've had my 05 636 up to 146mph before I lost my nerve to keep going. Don't think that 86 can hold a candle to a newer zx10r. Also comparing the weights, your 86 at 533lbs dry compared to my 05 636's 362lbs dry, 170lbs difference, and I weigh 170 so my bike with me on it is the same weight as your bike with you standing next to it, sorry hard to believe your 86 is all that. Also the 05 636 has 5hp more and a top speed of 160 over your 143.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
y'all are just jealous. The '86 is faster than a busa and more nimble than a 250.
-Cody

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
lul

1 - 20 of 26 Posts