Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
181 - 200 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
Glad you found the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
not near as glad as i am, tomorrow is the big day. 20 mile local run then back to the garage to check its all ok. if its ok i have to go see my little brother. he just bought a 2000 zx6r so i have to go check it out. its got aftermarket paint job kinda like the 2015 zx10r and a few other bits n bobs done to it, but "its not been crashed". front wheel looks a bit close to the fairings from the pics ive seen. its a nice looking bike its just not sitting right with me, its his first bike n he doesnt know much about them. i did offer to go with him to buy it but well you know what like, the money burns a hole in your pocket.

then its out to meet a couple of boys i know to go for a run, hopefully i get home in one piece without the help of a breakdown truck.

also super pissed at ebay boy, selling r7 gold spot calipers with pads and braided hoses on auction, finished Saturday at 5.30pm, got home from work to find them removed, i was winning at £3;25. guess there not selling as well as he expected n pulled the auction. my gen1 10r calipers are a bit wooden and fancied something a bit better

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·

thats the 6r he bought himself, its his first bike

on other news, i shorted out the SPA design seedo/tacho and will need to send it back to the manufacturer to get it repaired. ive put a stock J model rev counter in for the moment and will have to live with no speedo until mine is sorted or i get a new one.

the air box is still waiting on completion, it removed from the mold with no problems. ther is a couple of pin holes in it i need to sort, apart from that it almost ready to go. i just need to work out how to measure and cut the holes for the carbs

·
Premium Member
6,691 Posts
I hope this weekend is a great weekend of riding and relaxing for you. The R7 calipers thing sucks ass but what can ya do? I'm sure you'll find something that suits you.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
was out on it yesterday and got home on it. :)

handling wise it need set up, its ok of faster smooth main roads but its like riding a jet propelled pogo stick on bumpier back roads. still lots of fun but a bit too muck of a handful for my liking. its getting book in to a local race bike builder next weekend to get the suspension set up.

power wise, its awesome. it pulls from about 2000 rpm and has a huge top end rush from about 9000 upwards. it power wheelies in 2nd and 3rd without trying but i will leave that alone until i get a bit more used to it. its a completely different animal to the bike i have been running for the last year or so

there is a few gremlins i need to sort, theres something rattling and vibrating. think it may be the exhaust springs. it got that kinda sound from it. theres something behind the headlight under the clocks making a noise as well, the fueling needs set, the clutch is ok but not the greatest i have spares so thats not a big deal. im running a j model rev counter as its about right for the red line, the temp gauge doesnt work but i have 3 or 4 i can swap it with to get one that works. i still have no speedo

·
Premium Member
6,691 Posts
You might want to consider getting a ZX9B ecu for it. It limits the revs as compared to the L model ecu to avoid floating your valves.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
ive got the 900b ecu in it, if i fit the 750 double valve springs into the 900 head would that let me run the 750 ecu safely? the idea being to get a bit more power out of it with a higher rev range

·
Premium Member
6,691 Posts
ive got the 900b ecu in it, if i fit the 750 double valve springs into the 900 head would that let me run the 750 ecu safely? the idea being to get a bit more power out of it with a higher rev range

Yes, but you'll need to either restrict oil flow or fill it to a higher level.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Yes, but you'll need to either restrict oil flow or fill it to a higher level.

cheers again for the advice.

as far as im aware the P model sump fits and has a higher volume, would this work or would i still need to over fill it? if i fit the p model sump i guess i also have to run the p model oil pump?

im not planning on doing the valve springs until winter and will hopefully be going 950, with piper cams and some porting and polishing work on the exhaust side with the inlet side epoxy'd to increase intake velocity. if i can find one i would also like the close ratio gearbox out of a M model. since i have a spare 900 engine that needs a rebore i can do it slowly and not have to take the bike of the road which is a bot of a bonus.

·
Premium Member
6,691 Posts
cheers again for the advice.

as far as im aware the P model sump fits and has a higher volume, would this work or would i still need to over fill it? if i fit the p model sump i guess i also have to run the p model oil pump?

im not planning on doing the valve springs until winter and will hopefully be going 950, with piper cams and some porting and polishing work on the exhaust side with the inlet side epoxy'd to increase intake velocity. if i can find one i would also like the close ratio gearbox out of a M model. since i have a spare 900 engine that needs a rebore i can do it slowly and not have to take the bike of the road which is a bot of a bonus.

The problem with the 9B is the high rpm's empty the sump. There are race kit parts for the ZXR750R's that can cure this. Mainly the banjo bolt for the oil feed line to the head and the oil pressure valve in the sump. The bolt has a smaller feed hole which acts as a restrictor as compared to the stock one. The oil pressure valve opens at a lower pressure. Both work to feed less oil to the head and keep the main and rod bearings alive.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
The problem with the 9B is the high rpm's empty the sump. There are race kit parts for the ZXR750R's that can cure this. Mainly the banjo bolt for the oil feed line to the head and the oil pressure valve in the sump. The bolt has a smaller feed hole which acts as a restrictor as compared to the stock one. The oil pressure valve opens at a lower pressure. Both work to feed less oil to the head and keep the main and rod bearings alive.

ok, i will bear that in mind when i start to build the next engine. cheers again

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
well i cooked the lithium battery, used one of the alternators that came with an engine instead of the one from the 750 engine. i know the 750 one is good as i put new brushes into it and replaced the reg/rec with a NOS genuine one. a stupid oversight thats cost me 70 bucks.

was at a classic ish bike show when i realised the battery was dead, had to push start it with full gear on, infront of a crowd in the pouring rain. bumped into another classic sports bike

also finally got the sprockets i bought thru the post today, they only took 11 days to be delivered. i could have walked to get them faster

got them all for 40 bucks, so should have plenty of choice

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
Im reviving this thread because im back to working on the bike. A couple months ago i lost the use of my storage, a storm ripped the roof off it.
ive got thebike back with me, even had it running for a few minutes a couple of days ago.
ive got a muzzy can for it at last, changed the gen 1 calipers for zx6r monoblock nissin’s, showa rear shock from a zx6r and a new domino quick action throttle.
ive been working on this bike for years on and off and owned it for 10 yrs now. Even i have admitted defeat and stopped trying to fit the ducati discs, ive fitted rsv4 ones instead. Same offset as the rsv millie ones i had fitted so was a straight swap.
I am however back to chasing a vacuum leak
Once i remember how to post pics i will get some new ones

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

oh yeah, i also bought a J model as a winter project for when i get the other one finished. Was asked by the seller what my timescale on getting it back on the road was, i answered honestly
Sometime before i die, hopefully

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
4,573 Posts
View attachment 21807
oh yeah, i also bought a J model as a winter project for when i get the other one finished. Was asked by the seller what my timescale on getting it back on the road was, i answered honestly
Sometime before i die, hopefully
Then end of that exhaust looks pretty big in diameter. Too bad it's got a giant gash in the side of it. If you could, would you post up pics of the header, collector and the rest of the midpipe? Unless, you already know what manufacturer made the exhaust.

Reactions: Pyke13

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Plant
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

Micron 4-2-1 full system with a 62mm link pipe. Apparently micron made them back in the day.
the gash is tyre rubber where someone hit a previous owner while filtering thru traffic. Theres also rubber on the fairing panel.
no idea why it posts double pics or how to stop it

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
Last week i primed the fuel pump and it fired and ran, it got really hot quick but it ran. 1,2,3 ran really hot bit 4 was ok. It got so hot i couldnt touch the can after about 5 minutes, to the point the wool in the can was smoking for ages after i turned it off.
it ran fine but spat flames about 8000 rpm. The revs didnt hang and idle was fine.
ive stripped the carbs, cleaned the jets again, both pilot and mains. Good spark at all 4 plugs, fresh fuel, +4 advancer.
ive no idea what to try next

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
4,573 Posts
Last week i primed the fuel pump and it fired and ran, it got really hot quick but it ran. 1,2,3 ran really hot bit 4 was ok. It got so hot i couldnt touch the can after about 5 minutes, to the point the wool in the can was smoking for ages after i turned it off.
it ran fine but spat flames about 8000 rpm. The revs didnt hang and idle was fine.
ive stripped the carbs, cleaned the jets again, both pilot and mains. Good spark at all 4 plugs, fresh fuel, +4 advancer.
ive no idea what to try next
Do you have a temp gun to read how hot each header is running?

181 - 200 of 216 Posts