Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard a knock and decided to take it to a shop. They determined the noise was coming from the clutch but only way to know is to fully take the engine out and i don't feel like wasting 800 bucks just on labor. any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi. i have a 1995 zx6 ninja last year i changed my engine, i was really suprised how easy it was. took me one and half days to swap. so have a go takeing it out your self, and save some money, just get a good haynes manual (don't know if you have them in the USA). if you need any advice i'll try and help you. not sure what the knocking is though.
lee

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dude thats crazy i was told taking an engine out takes about 5 hrs and lots of tools and garage space..all i dont have lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
How could it take so much space? Its a bike? A single bay would be more than enough.

The tools however, you would definitely need tools.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pull the clutch cover off yourself and have a look I know a 16yr old that has repaced clutches on manny bikes so I'm sure you could do it. If it is truly a clutch problem then its easily fixed if you get it apart and cant fix it the pile it up in a truck and let them do it, why not try yourself and save some money first.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Heard a knock and decided to take it to a shop. They determined the noise was coming from the clutch but only way to know is to fully take the engine out and i don't feel like wasting 800 bucks just on labor. any ideas?
First thing, find a better dealer if you intend using one, as stated the clutch is accessed by removing the right side engine cover, NO WAY do you need to remove the engine to check the clutch :rolleyes Clutches rattle anyway & if that is all it is doing then it is not worth messing about with it apart from making sure the cable is adjusted right & the carbs synchronised to minimise any rattle (if that is what your knock actually is, need to give us more info to confirm. I would suggest getting hold of a workshop manual if you intend doing work yourself as this will give you the procedure & tolerances for servicing/checking the clutch over.

HTH

·
Registered
41 Posts
I bought my 94 zx6 in 95 and it came with no 2nd gear (ground off from wheelies). I've had the bike ever since and got used to almost redlining first gear and double shifting to 3rd. I decided to fix the 2nd gear issue 3 years ago and when the motor was taken apart, all the clutch plates and spacers fell out in pieces. I guess the shape of the motor kept the broken plates in place, and I'd been riding this way for years without even knowing I had a problem. Anyways my point is, it could get expensive, and time consuming, expecially if you don't have a manual. Oh, and stay off pot, it stinks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts