Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
Someone smarter than me can hopefully give me some advice. I am in the Army. Our new age ID cards have an RF(?) chip in them that we need to log on to PC's, and some other stuff. I have to hand my card to a security guy at the gate every morning, so I keep it in the "glove box". Yesterday I was unable to log on to my laptop, and ended up having to get a new ID card. Can KIPASS cause this?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi Reese, I'm a network manager and an electronics enthusiast, so whilst not an expert in this I do have a fair knowledge, just to set the scene.
I my opinion it is highly unlikely that the kipass system would have caused any issues, the radio wave that it emits is very low power, less rf energy in fact than the background "noise" caused by radio and television transmitters. A more likely candidate might be heat or vibration if the card was a little flakey in the first place, but normally it should have been fine unless left in the sun for any duration. Hope this puts your mind to rest, but if anyone knows any better please feel free to correct me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have my remote right next to my RFID building access card right now - like it's been for the last month. No issues with it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Like everything else in my field, it was probably made by the lowest bidder and was doomed to fail anyway... Sail Army! <smirk>

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yup, I agree with ReaperWales. Standard cards using F2F Aikens Biphase protocols and modulation require that the reader "reads" the strip and creates spikes which the reader interprets as digital 1's and/or 0'2. If you leave your card unprotected in the glove box the vibration in the glove box makes the card rattle around it will get tiny scratches on the strip which will confuse the reader and cause it to fail. plus the heat and plastic combination of card and glovebox could cause a build up of static. Bit like keeping it in your wallet and in your back pocket although it is protected from scratches there a bit better...That's why the wife's card always seems to work :eek:hno 'cos she has it nice and safe in her purse. Best to get a new card..and keep it in a soft cloth or similar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts