Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my killswitch to replace my throttle cables, and the tab on the back side of the kill switch looks like it broke off. The insert looks to go into the back side of the handler to stop it from rotating. When i installed it back on it just rotates with handler. Is there a way to fix this, am i installing it wrong. I got another kill switch and the tab is also broken off of this one. This is the only thing stopping me from riding at the moment. Its a 99 zx7 if that helps any.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Not sure what you mean. Got pics?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cant get a picture of right not because my phone conveniently overheated. There is a tab on the back cover of the kill switch.It is between the two bolt holes. It looks as if the tab goes into a hole on the back of the handlebar. This is the first time Ive removed the kill switch so It may not be necessary and I could be installing it wrong. It seems pretty straightforward, so I dont see how, But the kill switch is rotating with the throttle grip. If I tighten the screws to much it doesn't allow the grip to move freely. So this is the only thing I can see as my problem.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Interesting, I had to break that tab off when I did the ZX10 conversion and it holds tight without it and the grip rotates freely as well.

Josh

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you roll up a piece of tape on the handlebar where you close the kill switch, it should stay fixed though the the tab is broken.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea no matter how tight the grip is, or how loose it is, the kill switch will just rotate with the throttle grip. I don't see how it would work without it.

This is the part that is giving me problems. The tab is between the two screw and it fits into the handlebar and holds it into place. The new one I just got and my old one both are broken off. I wish I could get a better picture but I cant find my camera at the moment. Its getting really frustrating.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you roll up a piece of tape on the handlebar where you close the kill switch, it should stay fixed though the the tab is broken.
How much tape? Enough for it to bite down on to? Ill give this a try because this is getting annoying, and I cant find another time. Any particular type of tape? Is electrical tape fine?

·
Registered
7 Posts
You have to do tests: if you have only electrical tape try with that, if you have a more rough tape it should work better. I can't say exactly how much, cause it depends on the thickness of the tape. You just have to try.
I hope I was helpful.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Drill through what is left of the nub and use a small screw as a locating pin for the hole. The electrical tape trick is a good idea too, and less work.

After installing ZX14 masters, I had to pivot the control housings to make everything fit at the right angle. Ground off both nubs and both housings still stay put if I tighten the screws enough. Too tight on the throttle side will bind the cables though, so it takes a bit of experimenting.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Drill through what is left of the nub and use a small screw as a locating pin for the hole. .

do the above. easiest way unless you find another one.. the tape way works but the return on the throttle tube gets all screwed up.

replacement right hand controls can be had for $30-100 at a breaker.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
do the above. Easiest way unless you find another one.. The tape way works but the return on the throttle tube gets all screwed up.

Replacement right hand controls can be had for $30-100 at a breaker.
+1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts