Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 5"11 and 29 inch leg so I don't consider myself too short but can't help but kick the top of the panniers when getting on and off the GTR. I have had an ST1100 and ST1300 Pan European and did not have this problem before.
The GTR panniers appear to be mounted a little high and can't possibly see how to alter this. Does anybody else have this problem ? I have so far been fortunate in the 1100 miles I have clocked up in only marking the top of the panniers slightly being able to polish off any marks. I know you can get a clear protective covering for the bike to stop marks/stonechips etc but I always think they look a bit naff.
My Daughter is into dancing and ballet so I am now looking at her moves to try and get my leg to pirouet over the bike without touching the panniers. The other option is to use the engine hoist in the garage and lower myself onto the bike.:banghead

·
Registered
228 Posts
No, your not on your own, I have a 29.5" inseam and also sometimes catch the offside pannier with the side of my foot, as with you I have been able to polish it out so far.

·
Registered
160 Posts
There are a couple of techniques I have seen used that might work here.

You can use the method the adventure tourers use; that is stand on the left of the bike facing it. Bring your right knee up as high as you can. Kick your right foot out and then fall forward onto the bike.

The second method is like mounting a horse. Using your left foot stand on the peg and then swing your right leg over and sit down.

Failing that always park with the left side against a curb.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Jonathan, those are some great ideas and I've always found that a lot of grunting and groaning always helps. I'm 66 yrs. old, 6' tall with 31" inseam and I groan when getting out of bed and off the C14. Works every time!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm right there with you guys....six foot.. 30in inseam. Here's another thing you can try...

As the bike is on sidestand IN gear. :) Now all in one smooth fluid motion (we all have to look good doing this.. I mean we have an image to keep up, right?) Standing on the left side of the bike reach and grab the bars, now envision a bike thief standing just outside your right pannier. Raise your right leg at the hip and do your own Bruce Lee impression side-kicking that sucka in the head, bringing your leg down at the last second to miss the bag, and your on the bike looking stylish. No marks on the luggage. Practice slowly and methodically.. until you have your Brown belt. :clap

If i'm on the centerstand I put my weight on the left peg climb up and step thru, when settled, push the bike down off the stand and go.

Getting off?? :eek:hno Same thing in reverse.. :)

If I set the bike on the sidestand, and try to dismount on the right side.. I have trouble not catching something on the way off too.

Not really a big deal...

I'd crawl thru a small drainage pipe for 50meters everytime if thats what it took to ride this bike..:crazyloco :thumbup

See you on the road,

Jerry

·
Registered
5 Posts
<snip> Raise your right leg at the hip and do your own Bruce Lee impression side-kicking that sucka in the head, bringing your leg down at the last second to miss the bag, and your on the bike looking stylish. <snip> Jerry
I do something very similar to this. I raise my right knee, grab my ankle with my right hand and hold onto it as I swing my leg over the bike. Once clear, I let go and drop my leg down. It's like doing a side round-house kick while holding onto your ankle (not so flexible anymore).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi

i'm 1:89m (6"20) and i also sometimes kick the panniers of the bike. But i think i will get used to it paying attention the way i get on / off my bike.

regards

marc

·
Registered
451 Posts
Run at it and attack it like a hurdler. Hurts your nuts but saves your bags :rotflmao

1 - 10 of 10 Posts