Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went ahead and opened up the key switch and got my 03 running tonight! Talk about one happy man! Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone here has upgraded the wire size in the key switch to help combat the heat across those wires? Or, is there anything else I can do to combat this issue. I'm also wondering if an ignition switch from a 95 or earlier model will work with the 96-03 models. They seem to be much cheaper and more abundant than the 96-03(my guess is they're cheaper because of the security in the 96-03's but I'm not sure and it can't hurt to ask.).

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
never heard of such upgrade on the wiring, just replacement. but that doesnt mean much. however the p/n's are different between the two model years

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for input. I was hoping to hear a different answer but I guess things are just the way they are unfortunately. I really appreciate your help man.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I believe the actual switch is the same, but the plug connector is different.

Josh

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe the actual switch is the same, but the plug connector is different.

Josh
Now that would be awesome, I could make that work no problem as far as the connector goes as long as the switch is the same. I'll get my hands on one from a local guy and see if it'll work and post my findings.

·
6,878 Posts
The internals are quite different. You may be able swap the internals from one to the other, but they use a different board inside, and obviously a different number of wires. It would not be that hard to make an adapter harness to use the early switch on a later model. K&L is remaking the switch for the 91-95 and it is only about $60. Not sure why they have not made one for the 96+.

One of the main failures I see inside these that I have takes apart is the board inside degrades from heat. I have not seen burned up wires but have seen many burned up boards.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I got it started last night and let it run for about 20 minutes after resoldering the wires to the board again, I still hadn't put everything back together. I noticed that the white and brown wire's shielding started fusing together a bit and both were hot as hell. I don't know if it's just my individual problem with the wires getting this hot but from what I've read, other's have the heat issues across those wires but I haven't read that the jackets are melting together.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The internals are quite different. You may be able swap the internals from one to the other, but they use a different board inside, and obviously a different number of wires. It would not be that hard to make an adapter harness to use the early switch on a later model.
The wiring is different, yes, but the boards are the same physical size and the switch contacts are the same. So, you can take the wiring harness from a 96+ and insert it into the bottom of the older style switch. The circuit board just drops right in.

I bought a 93-95 reproduction switch for $45, transferred in the OEM wiring harness and it's worked fine for 3 years. If you buy the one with the same style key as OEM, you can take the barrel apart and rearrange the tumblers to fit your existing key.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The wiring is different, yes, but the boards are the same physical size and the switch contacts are the same. So, you can take the wiring harness from a 96+ and insert it into the bottom of the older style switch. The circuit board just drops right in.

I bought a 93-95 reproduction switch for $45, transferred in the OEM wiring harness and it's worked fine for 3 years. If you buy the one with the same style key as OEM, you can take the barrel apart and rearrange the tumblers to fit your existing key.
That's a good tid bit to know, thanks. My issue is when I got this bike, the guy I got it from was trying to find out why it wouldn't start and ended up putting a resistor inline to get it to start and what not. The problem is he cut the plug at the end of the harness on the switch side so I don't have that harness. I got it all running and what not with the resolder but I'd feel more comfortable if I can get my hands on the plug for that switch as right now I have spade connectors going into the plug for main harness.(if that makes any sense. lol) I guess now that it's working I'm just looking for piece of mind ya know.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It looks like it would except I see one issue. There's no orange wire in my harness and there's a white wire in my harness that's not in that one. I'll look at the wire locations tomorrow after work and also compare the plug to see if they're compatible. If all signs say yes then I'll order one and hopefully find a new cheaper solution to one issue for those that don't want to open up their switch. Thanks man!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts