Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess longevity is really taking a backseat to all out performance. I was told by a dealership the other day that the new 10Rs and the 14 as well are only designed to last 25k. That was coming straight from the factory. I thought it would be shorter but not THAT short. They said the pistons on the 10R need to be replaced every 18k. I dont know about you folks but I would put 25k on one in 2 years easy. Not much time from a 12 thousand dollar bike. Ouch.

Oh well, the new 10Rs are SO damn fun to ride! :crazyloco

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seriously. I asked the dealer guy where he heard that and he said straight from Kawi. When he saw that my 12R had 41k on it he said he had never seen a 12R with that many miles. Apparently the 25k thing is only for the new 10s and 14s. But i agree. I'd wear one out quick seein as i dont own a car

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
was he trying to sell you a suzi??.

Think about it tho ...... all those new small 4 pot cars do 300-k plus, why build a bike that cant do that?....... would you buy a Kwaka again if it only lasted 2 yrs?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
slim1100 said:

Think about it tho ...... all those new small 4 pot cars do 300-k plus, why build a bike that cant do that?....... would you buy a Kwaka again if it only lasted 2 yrs?
lol no it was a Kawi dealership that i was at. hehe. Ive been riding kawis since i started riding. When they're in tune i LOVE kawi powerplants. I own a zuk too, but i will always love a good ninja!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have a 93 ZX-11 with 75,xxx miles on it.

how many of you just daid you never heard of one with that many miles on it?
I was told the same thing several times.

I work at a Kawasaki dealership, I haven't heard anything like that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I call BS on the part of the salesjerk. Sounds to me like he was just trying to scare you into buying a new bike and didn;t really know his head from his asshole. I could see a full on race bike living for that long but a regular street bike? Please, 25k and its barely broken in. Thrash the thing until it dies and then take it back to the dealer that said that and show them the 100k+ that are on it in a few years time :crazyloco

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
06ZX-10R said:
I have a 93 ZX-11 with 75,xxx miles on it.

how many of you just daid you never heard of one with that many miles on it?
I was told the same thing several times.

I work at a Kawasaki dealership, I haven't heard anything like that.
Thats why i asked and was told that only applied to the new new ones. I had an '89 ZX10 and when i sold it it ran like new with 64k on it. I've never heard that before either, but of course i havent talked to a dealer about the new ninjas either. They could be wrong!

·
Registered
23 Posts
The 25k story is definetly bull$hit.. I do aprox 1250 miles per month..that gives you 30k in two years.. The zx10 warranty period (2years unlimited mileage).. so if the 25k story is true, then I need to thank Kawasaki for replacing my pistons etc..for FREE!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds like a load of crap to me as well, I have 51,000 on my 93 ZX-11 and it runs like a top!

So Ninjaofdoom, is Kawi going to fix your motor under warranty?

·
Registered
138 Posts
What a load if shit!!! I've worked on 1985 V-65 Magna's with 86,000 km on them that still ran great and they were absolute junk right out of the box! I'm pretty sure I got a 4 year warrenty on my 14 and I highly doubt that the folks at kawasaki are dumb enough to put a 2 year unlimited milage warrenty on an engine thats only good for 25,000 km. See you at 100,000 km!!!:rant :nana :thefinger :runaway

·
Registered
138 Posts
If they only wanted the engines to be twisted 6000rpm the red line wouldn't be 11,500:evil but your right you still have to take care of them (oil changes,etc.):clap

·
registered member
523 Posts
BS,,,BS,,

Plenty of 12's with over 25k and still going...

maybe if the 25k was 1/4 mile at a time, then i would believe it..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Buz said:
It also all depends on how you ride it and take care of it.
This is really the issue. As has already been referenced, there are many examples of people getting over 25k and I suspect they performed the critical maintenance.

It's true the new ZX's are tweaked to a high level, but at worst, I suspect they will very gradually lose power as the miles pile up -- possibly moreso than say a tourer or sport-tourer would -- but I doubt it will be noticeably different than other recent ZX's. It's not like the thing is gonna go "ka-boom!" at 25k. I just don't see it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can't believe what most of the sales people tell me anyhow...why in the world would I believe in some crap like that??!! It's like Buz said, it's all how you take care of them! I also had a '92 ZX-11 with over 50,000 miles on it before the thief took her from me! I ran her hard...but she just kept going just like new. 25k....HAH!

·
Registered
77 Posts
slim1100 said:

Those cars have 7:1 compression ratios, not 14:1, and aren't spinning 6K on the freeway, taking it easy. Bike motors are simply more sporting than any factory car motor, and modded car motors to the same spec are lucky to get 25K. I too think that it at worst will lose power, but not like a boom or a switch. IMO, spend 12K OTD for a new one, three years later sell it for 5K with however many miles (sell for more if low miles) then you've spent 7K to use a bike to its fullest for three years. Repeat.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I now have a ZX14 and will never worry about getting only 25K on it. My ZX11D-7 had 126,000 miles on it without having the head off... I feel safe in saying that the ZX14 will do the same with proper maintenance and ridden within limits...
Salesman who don't know their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to motorcycles should sell cages or better yet farm tractors...

·
Registered
8 Posts
That is the biggest load of crap that I have heard also. I had a 91 zx10 and it had 23K on it. I did my fastest speed on that bike 170MPH. Bike ran fine no issues

1 - 20 of 30 Posts