Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Kawasaki sport Accessories catalog in the mail yesterday. I flipping through it and what do I find?

Adjustable ECU
Allow the fine tuning of fuel, igniton timing and many other critical performance parameters.

Ninja ZX-6R (05-06), Ninja ZX-6RR (05-06)

P/N 21175-0074
Price 423.29

What does a PC iii usb with ignition timing go for these days? $300? Whatever it is I think I'd pay the extra coin for the Genuine Kawasaki part that just plugs right in and comes with Kawasaki factory race tuning software.

Oh, wait.......it says for close course competition only.....damn, foiled again :runaway

·
Registered
102 Posts
I got my Kawasaki sport Accessories catalog in the mail yesterday. I flipping through it and what do I find?

Adjustable ECU
Allow the fine tuning of fuel, igniton timing and many other critical performance parameters.

Ninja ZX-6R (05-06), Ninja ZX-6RR (05-06)

P/N 21175-0074
Price 423.29

What does a PC iii usb with ignition timing go for these days? $300? Whatever it is I think I'd pay the extra coin for the Genuine Kawasaki part that just plugs right in and comes with Kawasaki factory race tuning software.

Oh, wait.......it says for close course competition only.....damn, foiled again :runaway
sweet...how do you get the catalogue?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so I'm a dumbass.

It pays to read the fine print. The ECU is $423.29

The ECU - PC laptop cord is needed to program it is 599.95 for a total of $1023.24

I thought it sounded to good to be true.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Not to mention - how good is the software, and which dynos are gonna connect to it for custom mapping? For the hard-core racer I'm sure this is an easy answer, for me a, joe nobody, I'm sure happy with the ease of use of my PC3 and once I get my map - it'll be plenty good enough for my road and occasional track day.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Are you really concerned about the "closed course" thing? Do they moniter that where your at? Here in Small Hick Town, Missouri, I run a rich tune to match my exhaust. Thing is LOUD and it still passes inspection. My friend has a Yosimura pipe on his 6r without the "street" baffle and no one says anything. At my inspection all they checked was that the lights were in "working order" and that I had some kind of tread on my tires and let me go. Living in California with all the emissions and noise control must suck.

I of course, don't have fuel injection on my bike, so I'm curious what advantages an OEM PC would have over the Power Commanders PC. Seems like the PCIII would be more convenient seeing as everyone uses it so there must be a million downloadable maps for all kinds of setups. Can someone explain this to me? Why would you pay a grand for the OEM over the aftermarket (and proven) PCIII?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was joking about the closed course thing.....half the pipes out there arn't street legal.

On your other question. On a bike with a PCiii the stock ECU is still making all the decisions. The stock ECU looks at the throttle, the air pressure, temp, RPMs etc and decides WHEN to fire the injector and for what duration and when to fire the coils (timing)

The PCiii does not replace the stock ECU it goes between the ECU and the injectors. The ECU says turn on an injector for say 1.00 mS but that signal goes to the PCiii instead. The PCiii turns on the actual injector when it sees the ECU signal but when the ECU says turn it off the PCiii waits a little bit more then shuts it off. Leaving the injector on longer means more fuel and a richer mixture. When you map a PCiii your telling it how much fuel to add to what the stock ECU decides it needs. Your control of the fuel map with a PCiii is limited to adding or subtracting from the stock map.

These adjustable ECUs for a grand replace the stock ECU. They allow you total control of the engine. You can up the RPM redline. You can change the throttle sensitivity. The throttle map I looked at for a ZX-12 had 1/3 of the map used for the first 10% of throttle travel. Great for making a nice docile street bike but maybe you want something different in a drag bike. A lot of these bikes have different maps for different gears. A PCiii doesn't. Plus it has data output. You can log throttle position, rpm, speed, etc while the bike is running.

On the downside yes there are a lot of PCiii maps out there to share that would save you a trip to the dyno. Plus dialing in a ECU will take more dyno time than a PCiii and not all dyno operators may know how to use your software. I guess my point was that if they were $400 and not a $1000 that more people would buy them, there would be more maps to share, more dyno guys who knew how to use them.

DynoJet does have inertia on its side......for now.

·
Registered
184 Posts
as it was asked before where did you get a kawi catlg? Was it free?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got it in the mail. I assume they sent it to me because I recently bought a '06 ZX-6R and got on their mailing list.

On the back it says P/N: K906SB-CAB Retail $3.95

I'm sure your dealer can hook you up. You can also find this stuff on kawasaki.com under motorcycle accessories, zx-6R, performance.

They have all kinds of race stuff from cams, fork springs, velocity stacks, carbon fiber parts, etc. I did notice however this catalog does have some stuff not listed online and vice-versa.

·
Registered
462 Posts
OIC.

Those ECU's are pretty neat. If my bike was injected and I was rich I would definitely spring for one, but I'm neither...

Thanks for the explanation though, someday I'll move onto and F.I. bike and I like to know as much as possible about everything, especially if I'm interested in it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
if you where going all out track bike, then i'd look into something like this. but for now, my PCIII is awsome and really woke up the bike. It was also ALOT easier on the wallet

1 - 12 of 12 Posts