Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that any of you guys down south would care, but I heard a rumor from a couple of friends of mine that are pretty heavy into the sleding that Kawi is working on a new sled for 08. Has anyone got any info on if this is true? When Kawasaki packed in it's sleds in 1982-83 they were building one of the fastest sleds on the planet, the 550 Interceptor. I own one of these sleds and at present time it runs dead even with a new piped and clutched F5 Firecat in 500 ft.

Maby,just maby Kawi is paying close attention to a struggling Polaris lineup and has plans to be King of the Hill in more than one area. New for 08 the Kawasaki ZX14 Mountain King Turbo. 300hp out of the box!!!.Makes the Yamaha R1 sled look like a Kitty Kat! :fingersex :mfclap :crazyloco :king

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Why did Kawi get out of the snowmobile business in the first place? What's their history in that particular powersport??

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:headscratch Both are good questions. I'm going to do some research myself. I have my own theory [rumer]. Artic Cat is working hard on 4 stroke development, maby a Kawasaki / Artic Cat partnership. The colors sure do match!:clap

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kawasaki sold out to Polaris for 1983. When sales like this are made they will usually state a time inwitch the seller cannot manufacture the product that it has sold,such as 20 years. I'm fairly certain that this time has passed and if Kawi wanted to they could build sleds again. Another interesting fact is that Kawasaki has produced engines for some Artic Cat quads.
With that being said, there isn't a huge market worldwide, it is mainly NorthAmerican so it is quite unlikely that this will happen, but stranger things have happened.
Oh, by-the-way I just heard that Yamaha is about this close to dropping it's snowmobile line. If this happens you just may get to see a 1400cc 200hp Artic Cat.:crazyloco

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
crowdpleaser said:
...Oh, by-the-way I just heard that Yamaha is about this close to dropping it's snowmobile line. If this happens you just may get to see a 1400cc 200hp Artic Cat.
Hmmmm... Yamaha have been gaining market shares in the last 2 years like they never did in the 20 years before this. Now that the snowmobile market is going toward 4 stroke engines, I would be extremely surprised if Yamaha was to leave...

And why do you think Yamaha have to go for Arctic Cat to introduce a high HP sled??

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not saying that Yamaha would have to go; I'm just saying it would really open up a limited market. I think a Kawasaki / Artic Cat partnership to build a sled based on the ZX1400 engine would be awesome for the sled industry and would be great comp. for Yamaha.Yamaha builds a wicked 4-stroker. If Cat and Kaw would get together maby Artic Cat and Yamaha could have the same kind of battle on the snow as Kawi and Suzuki are having on the street!? The consumer would be the winner.:mfclap

1 - 8 of 8 Posts