Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This forum is for the Kawasaki ZX-11 Ninja sportbike, which was from 1990 to 2001.

The Kawasaki ZRX-1100 was from 1999 to 2000.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I love this board! I would like to thank those who make this site possible, I find it really helpful and worthy of both thumbs up! Thanx~

·
Registered
32 Posts
Changed out my rear tire from a battlax to a dunlop Qualifier today and did a really nasty long burnout with the ax before dismounting! These bikes just plain rock! The north end of shop looked like it was on fire when I opened up the doors. What a DORK eh?:crazyloco

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hey Beans!!! Thanks for the welcome! Remember me from the 12 board? I got a 2001 zx11 that I am going to build into a sport touring machine this winter. Ordered the Givi bags today and pick the bike up this weekend. Lots of work to do so I will probably start on it in a couple weeks. I will have to get my "fix" with my 12 untill I am done. I am shooting to be done with it in Jan. Its maiden voyage is hopefully going to be Daytona. Hope all you guys can help with advise, Thanks, crash

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey guys, now that my bike is running well I was thinking about a 4 in to 1 full exhaust.
I'm looking at a VANCE & HINES for about $400.00 bucks.
What can I expect from this upgrade noise, performance ?
Will I have to re-jet the carbs and get a better air filter ?
Is it worth the $400.00 for the V&H or should I look at other brands
for my 90 Zx11-C1

One last question, I don't know if my low fuel sensor lights work.
When I fill her up I re-set the trip, when with somewhat normal
driving should the lights come on and how many miles past that
number will I be pushing my bike to the nearest gas station ? :banghead
As always.
Thank you.:mfclap
Frankie Zee...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Frankie, my sensor lights come on between 270 and 290 kms, depending on speed etc. Have never run dry, so don't know for sure what the max is. I know I've travelled about 50 kms with the lights on.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks, I have been getting about 35 MPG and I have pushed the 5.5 gallon tank to 170 miles with the FUEL lights on for about 50 miles.
This bike must have a JET kit in it from the last guy
also I think this confirms that I do have Competition Cams and the guy who sold me the bike wasn't bull$hitting me.
Then again I like to blast threw the gears. :)
Thanks for your intel.
Frankie Zee...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Stuff I want

My Zx11C fits into the 1990-1992.
Everything changed in 93 with tons of after market parts to find.
Well I figured with this board and the rest of fellow ZX brothers maybe you can point me in the right direction for the goodies I want.
LIKE. :angry

A carbon tail hugger.
A fender eliminator kit ( I think I can do this myself )
Wider mirrors or 50 less pounds on my ass.
Clear front and or rear tail light lens covers.
Ditto on the brake lens.
Center removable luggage rack.
I think that's about it :headscratch

I really need to work on the wider mirror thing.
I have to tuck my elbows in every time to look back.
Anyone have a solution for this or any of the above ?
Thanks All.

Frankie Zee...

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Q- A carbon tail hugger.
A- I've never seen a hugger specifically made for C model. But I'm pretty sure you can use one made for a D and fit it. I think the only modification required is drilling another mounting hole (OEM chain guard's mounting holes are not spaced the same on D and C)

Q- A fender eliminator kit (I think I can do this myself)
A- Yes, you can do it yourself. But very V-E-R-Y careful at not weakening the plastic structure holding the taillight (kind or hard to not...). If not, the taillight molding W-I-L-L break. It is extremely thin LH and RH of taillight and way too easy to break.

Q-Wider mirrors or 50 less pounds on my ass.
A- I can't help much for your ass but here's what I made many years ago on my mirrors (glad to see I'm not alone to think they sucks). I modified the OEM stems by having a piece of aluminum welded to make it longer. I then used putty to get back OEM shape and had them painted black. Now, about 50% of the glass surface can be actually be used to see behing me without having to move my arms or elbows. Prior to this, about 10% of surface was useful. To have more than 50% of the surface to be useful, I think the mirrors will need to be elongated to much that they will become butt ugly or will be too heavy and constantly loose their adjustment under their own weight at each road bump. It was very time consuming but worth it (at least for me...). I think I could have another set already welded but not puttyed/painted...

Don't try to find mirror spacers to be bolted between mirror base and fairing; they are inexistent. I first thought at building some but the angle at which they are mounted make this impossible.

Q-Clear front and or rear tail light lens covers.
A- I suppose you mean clear lenses for the four turn signals? None are available for C model.

Q-Ditto on the brake lens.
A- Here too, no clear brake lens is available for C model.

Q- Center removable luggage rack.
A- Dunno. The only ones I saw where one (nice) home made ones; they where bolted to the grabrail or to the foldable bungee hooks. They probably are after-market sources though but I ignore them. Here, I'm using two Givi bags and a soft seat trunk bag (Chase-Harper).

Q- I really need to work on the wider mirror thing. I have to tuck my elbows in every time to look back.
A- See above

Hope this helps...

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Mirrors

I don't know much about other accessories for the C models, but I agree that the mirrors are pretty much useless for seeing what is behind you. My solution it to add a bar-end mirror on the left side. This lets me look down to see what's behind and use the stock mirrors to see to either side. It doesn't look terrible and the look is far outweighed by the usefulness. I'll try and attach a photo, but may screw that up.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Followed BeansBaxter's simple steps and figured out how to do this. Here's a shot showing the mirror.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, now that my bike is running well I was thinking about a 4 in to 1 full exhaust. Frankie Zee...
I have a 4 into 1 Yoshimura exhaust on mine (had the bike for a month) and it kind o stinks that the center stand has to be removed for it to work. Just keep that in mind if yoiu need the center stand.

·
Registered
1 Posts
just bought 91 zx11 ninja

Gidday guys,just purchased a 91 zx11 ninja yesturday.
She looks really sweet.Has a new clutch,new tires,brakes and spark plugs.
She has 39400 miles on her but seems to have PLENTY of life left.Any suggestions on the zx c series apparent 2nd gear issues? Should i ride her a certain way being careful in the lower gears? I know that the clutch and at least most of the zx11 gears are VERY strong. Help....
It is actually my second zx,owned a 93 zx11 back home in aussie land..
Rode it pretty hard,but respectfully if that makes any sense.Never had any issues with 2nd gear..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Me and my ride

Hello to all in the forum! I'd like to say thanks for the input i have recieved on my couple of threads so far. Here are some pics

I really like the color differences from day and night...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Farnkiezee,
I've installed a Ventura rack system on my '01 D-model- perfect fit. They are available in different removable/interchangeable styles with a choice of bags/backpacks that fit resting on the seat or turned around over the tail light. The hardware and the packs are of very good quality and come with clear instructions. I bought my set at a bike show three years ago and everything has proven to be very durable.
http://www.ventura-bike.com/default.aspx
you won't regret it!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts