Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying the P/N 57001-1238 jack from Kawasaki for doing fork removal, setting steering head bearing torque etc. Anyone have one and how does it work? It apparently comes with an adapter set to work on acwide range of Kawasaki sport bikes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, I just got the 57001-1238 jack. It doesn't come with the 21 mm wrench needed to operate it, which I would have thought, for the extremely high price, would be everything you need. Now that I have it, I can't figure out where to attach it to the bike. If I wasn't trying to remove the swingarm, I could of course attach it there. But then again, if I wasn't trying to remove the swingarm, I wouldn't need it, since I have a rear wheel jack.
If anyone knows where I'm supposed to rest the two posts to support the bike while removing the swingarm, I surely would appreciate you telling me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
attachment points

I forgot to mention, I'm looking for attachment points on a ZX12R. I just found Kruz' unanswered question here on the ZX6R forum, doing a search under the tool number.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Answer found

Tool Number 57001-1238 Attachment Points (well, sort of):
Page 396 of the ZX-12R Service Manual shows the jack being used to raise the front wheel.

Page 461 of the ZX-12R Service Manual shows the jack being used to raise the rear wheel. Apparently for the rear wheel, the jack doesn't have any attachment points, so you have to use it as a starting point, then add foam or towels or pads of some sort to cradle the bike in front of the suspension.

You can get the ZX-12R Service Manual from www.garth285.com. Even if you don't have a 12, maybe this will help you use the Kawasaki specified jack for other bikes.

Certainly, if I had noticed those details before purchasing, I would have bought one of the cheaper generic scissors jacks. I paid extra for the Kawasaki part assuming that there was some sort of intelligent compatibility between the name brand tools and the same brand bikes.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Sounds unstable as hell to me...

Triple tree stand and rear spools all the way IMO. Granted, this of course doesn't help when you need to remove those parts...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tool Number 57001-1238 Attachment Points (well, sort of):
Page 396 of the ZX-12R Service Manual shows the jack being used to raise the front wheel.

Page 461 of the ZX-12R Service Manual shows the jack being used to raise the rear wheel. Apparently for the rear wheel, the jack doesn't have any attachment points, so you have to use it as a starting point, then add foam or towels or pads of some sort to cradle the bike in front of the suspension.

You can get the ZX-12R Service Manual from www.garth285.com. Even if you don't have a 12, maybe this will help you use the Kawasaki specified jack for other bikes.

Certainly, if I had noticed those details before purchasing, I would have bought one of the cheaper generic scissors jacks. I paid extra for the Kawasaki part assuming that there was some sort of intelligent compatibility between the name brand tools and the same brand bikes.
I looked into this long and hard even going so far as to contact several distributors and finally U.S. Kawasaki. That scissor jack is almost worthless, no one at U.S. Kawasaki had ever seen one, used one or knew what adapters to use or where to place them. I needed to get my front end up and free to adjust steering head bearings, triple tree stand won't work. Finally after much frustration I contacted several dealers and asked what they used. Floor jack and a two by four under the headers. Works great but don't rock the bike too much. I bough a two ton BlackJack at Walmart for $27.

This is an area that Kawasaki needs to rethink, they could easily design jack pads into their chassis like every other vehicle mfg. in the world does.

The only other way is to use a thick nylon strap with ratchet mechanism and secure to a celing joist and around the frame. Very stable but a real PITA in my opinion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts