Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

Kawasaki GTR 1400 and Concours 14

127K views 180 replies 54 participants last post by  Motogp 
#1 ·
This forum is for the 2007 2008 Kawasaki GTR 1400 and Concours 14.

#4 ·
Ozzy said:
IF I get a GTR1400 / er I mean Concours (cough cough) I will have to get the Euro emblems for it. I just cant hardly say that other name, LOL!
Gotta say I am 110% in agreement here.... the "Connie" or Concours moniker has a lot of, um, unique attributes associated with it. :lol Fortunately, I really don't think the current typical Concours pennypincher is going to flock over to this bike; I expect an entirely new generation of riders will gravitate to this machine... those that are into speed, power, and modern-day performance.

Hey there, Warchild -- we know each other already ;-)))
Heh.... hello, Stef, glad to see you over here... and I'm not surprised you are interested in this platform... :thumbup

#180 ·
Gotta say I am 110% in agreement here.... the "Connie" or Concours moniker has a lot of, um, unique attributes associated with it. :lol Fortunately, I really don't think the current typical Concours pennypincher is going to flock over to this bike; I expect an entirely new generation of riders will gravitate to this machine... those that are into speed, power, and modern-day performance.

Heh.... hello, Stef, glad to see you over here... and I'm not surprised you are interested in this platform... :thumbup
I know Kawasaki is releasing it in North America as a Concours 14, but is it confirmed that it will be called the GTR 1400 overseas? Is it listed on the Kawi websites over there yet??

#8 · (Edited)
Teerex51 said:
The name "Concours" is all but unknown here in Europe...The bike is only known as GTR1400. What emblems are you referring to Ozzy?

Stef

BTW, hi Beans and Ozzy, I've introduced myself with a post in the Announcement area. Hey there, Warchild -- we know each other already ;-)))
The emblems on the side panels that say Concours 14

#13 · (Edited)
I haven't bought a new bike for a while. Usually when Kawasaki releases next model year bike? June of the previous year? December?

I was looking at getting a FJR/1200GT/ST as either an addition or replacement for my 97 XX for long distance riding.
Now I think I'm going to wait for the GTR1400. Does anybody know how good is Kawasaki with their 1st model year bike
in their history?

Thanks again.

#14 ·
lonerider said:
Does anybody know how good is Kawasaki with their 1st model year bike in their history?
I know it's a first year run for this particular model, but I dont consider it to be a first year run with the engine. All of this came from the ZX-14 which will have had two years in the marketplace by the time the GTR1400 is available.

#15 ·
beansbaxter said:
I know it's a first year run for this particular model, but I dont consider it to be a first year run with the engine. All of this came from the ZX-14 which will have had two years in the marketplace by the time the GTR1400 is available.
True, BUT.... not with the new valve train, which is different from the ZX-14.

I recall reading in one of the recent marketing spins that we should see the bike in the dealerships by Apr-May timeframe.

Which will likely translate to mid-summer or later, if historical trends are any indication.

#17 ·
Hello everyone ! like you I have been waiting for this bike for a long time.
As I was not satisfied with the other choices for one reason or another.
The concerns that we all share seem to be met as much as possible and I hope the end result is what we want in a true SPORT- tourer. If I have to wait I will wait .I have had a deposit on a silver abs since NOV 3 this is the bike that closest discribes what I wan't without paying the price and the service charges of a K12GT . IN a lot of way's I think it will be a more of an enjoyable bike.

Daka

#18 · (Edited)
Hi folks;

Add another rider waiting for a C-14... I just sold one of my current bikes in order to pay for the yet to be seen Kawasaki. On paper, it sure looks like the ride I have been waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for.

I just wish the Kawi Mother Ship would release the final specs, release date and MSRP...

Well, the good news is that the longer it takes, the longer the money that I put in savings will draw interest. Heck, maybe I'll have enough to pay for the C-14 in cash by the time it gets here...:crackup

Ride Safe
Dan

Edit: BTW, VERY nice site ya'll got here!!!

#19 ·
Hey Stef and Warchild. 04 FJR Pilot here with a new name and hopefully a new machine in the coming months. I'm really interested in this incarnation of the "Connie". Hopefully the specs will be out soon with accurate numbers on the HP and Torque. I would hope the numbers are better than the BMW since they are talking the fastest SS tourer. I might be alone here but more power is always welcomed. Not that the FJR is underpowered by any stretch but I just like bigger better faster especially if it is at close to the same price point.

#20 ·
Hey y'all

Welcome to the hopefuls' circle.:smile

I actually share all of your expectations but I've very recently decided I'll keep my FJR1300 for at least one more year for the following reasons:

1. Connie/GTR14 will be delivered (maybe) in August.:rant That's too late for me.
2. No hard data on weight/power ratio yet
3. Likelyhood of severe teething problems increases with the lack of info this close to the originally-announced release (see the K1200S affaire) :headscratch

This does it for me. Love the new bike but at this stage nothing yet tops the FJR.
BMW's K-GT (barely) does in fact but the price delta is huge and I think the bike's fugly...:angry

#21 ·
Sorry to hear this Teerex. As for your points:
1) with the winters we're having this shouldn't be a problem ;)
2) I'm with you here. If the GTR doesn't have considerable more hp's than the FJR I will even consider buying the -cheaper- FJR
3) I trust Kawi in this. The very new ZX-12R and e.g. the ZZR1400 were launched without -big- problems.

I think you will change your mind once the GTR is actually here :smile

#26 ·
1. Connie/GTR14 will be delivered (maybe) in August. That's too late for me.
2. No hard data on weight/power ratio yet
3. Likelyhood of severe teething problems increases with the lack of info this close to the originally-announced release (see the K1200S affaire)
1) with the winters we're having this shouldn't be a problem ;)
2) I'm with you here. If the GTR doesn't have considerable more hp's than the FJR I will even consider buying the -cheaper- FJR
3) I trust Kawi in this. The very new ZX-12R and e.g. the ZZR1400 were launched without -big- problems.
My turn:

1.) If you intend to sell an existing bike yourself, you won't get as much for it in the late summer or fall. If you have the space in your garage, go ahead and buy the C-14, but wait until next spring to sell the older bike. If you have two bikes to sell like I do (XX and FJR), then one possible strategy would be to test ride the C-14 to see if you want to buy it, and if you are convinced that you want to buy it, go ahead and sell one of the two bikes in the late summer, then wait until next spring to sell the other one and buy the C-14.

2.) The weight/power ratio is a critical consideration, but the logic, whereby it makes sense to decide at the present not to buy the bike at a later date because the information that you would need to make an informed decision at that later date is not presently available, escapes me. Unless, that is, you were trying to decide between buying something else right away vs. waiting patiently to find out whether the C-14 is even a bike that you would prefer. That is the only scenario where that logic makes sense to me, and in that scenario, it makes perfect sense. Additionally, it seems highly unlikely to me that the difference in acceleration between the FJR and the C-14 will be adequate to justify a preference of one over the other. While I am hoping that the high-speed acceleration of the C-14 will be a tad better than it is with the FJR, that isn't the principal reason that I am keen on the idea of replacing the FJR (and the XX) with the C-14. Principally, I hope (and fully expect) that the C-14's engine will be inordinately less buzzy than the FJR's engine, which I find excessive and bothersome.

3.) It does not make sense to me that the delay in delivery should be interpreted as an indication that there will be teething problems. Nor should the delay be interpreted as an indicator that there will not be teething problems. The delay just doesn't tell us anything at all about the likelihood of new-model problems. If the K1200S had 1st-year problems that were corrected in the 2nd year, that is useful information in the sense that it tells us that it is sometimes smarter to wait until the 2nd year, but it still isn't particularly relevant because (a) it is to be taken for granted that 2nd-year models will have fewer problems than 1st-year models, and (b) Kawasaki is not BMW. (I am curious to know which specific 1st-year problems that the K1200S had, were subsequently fixed such that people who waited until the 2nd year did not have those problems. The major problem that I know of, is the engine vibration, which is not likely to have been solved, and if it was solved, it evidently wasn't until after the K12GT was introduced, because the reviews invariably mentioned the excessive engine vibration. But even if by chance this has since been solved and thus has the characteristic of a "teething problem", it still isn't particularly relevant to the C-14.)

#29 ·
2007 Automotive Engineering Exposition (自動車技術展 人と車のテクノロジー展 2007)

“1400GTR” Strip Model
The 1400GTR will be exhibited in Pacifico Yokohama.

Detailed Information //ENGLISH//:http://tech.jsae.or.jp/expoguide/detail_en.aspx?cid=2007094
Detailed Information //JAPANESE//:http://tech.jsae.or.jp/expoguide/detail.aspx?cid=2007094

Exhibit (KHI): Adaptive Front-lighting System, Helmet Mounted Display, etc.
Keyword: ASV (= Advanced Safety Vehicle)

☆Helmet Mounted Display(pdf-p27), Adaptive Front-lighting System(pdf-p29) /PDF/:
http://www.mlit.go.jp/jidosha/anzen/01asv/resourse/data/asv2development.pdf
☆Development of Advanced Safety Vehicle "Kawasaki ASV" /HTML/:
http://www.khi.co.jp/tech/ne162tr11.html

Kawasaki ASV (prototype): ZZR1400+ZZR1200 ASV ?? :smile

#32 ·
Hi All, first time posting here.
I have just talked to my local dealer and ordered my new Concourse. Expected del is End June Price is under 18000 canadian for Non ABS and 19500 for ABS. This is the same price point as a FJR or at least close. I have a Nomad and a Sprit RS now , but will be trading in the Nomad on the new bike. Has anyone else heard about pricing in your area?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.