Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a '92 ZX11 - i'm 37 and this is my first bike since i got rid of my 86 ZX1000 15 years ago.

Anything in particular i should know about these guys? Any tricks tips etc?

Thanks - i enjoy the posts.

Brian

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just be careful these bikes are not ment to be riden buy beginners, not that you are a beginer but, it's very easy to get in over your head on these bikes. Other than that have fun and be careful.

·
Registered
122 Posts
There's always that #3 rod bearing issue...
Seems like the #3 rod bearing on our bikes starves of oil at high sustained RPM. There have been a few people I know that had the #3 piston decide to leave the engine. I bring mine up to but never past the redline, but just for a very short blast... I then hit third and back off.

That's enough thrill for me.

·
Registered
498 Posts
There's always that #3 rod bearing issue...
Seems like the #3 rod bearing on our bikes starves of oil at high sustained RPM. There have been a few people I know that had the #3 piston decide to leave the engine. I bring mine up to but never past the redline, but just for a very short blast... I then hit third and back off.

That's enough thrill for me.
2 of my friends had the same prob.... be careful my friend. It's one powerful beast you got there. Make sure u treat her right and she'll return the favour. Get hold of the service manual and familiar yourself of it's internal.... anyway, enjoy your bike...

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
The best and absolutely more important advice is to always keep the oil level very high. Do not use the maximum recommanded level but fill it until only a small bubble of air appear in the sight window.

The lower and higher levels have small marks casted in the engine cover. Do not consider those levels but go as I wrote above.

Also, avoiding wheelies is a good habit to take to avoid #3 going away...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Funny you said that - that exact thing happend to this bike a number of years ago - he ended up getting another ZX11 engine and replacing the whole thing (because the piston decided to 'leave' the engine).

Thanks for the replys - this board is a wealth of information.

b

1 - 8 of 8 Posts