Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up until this evening I rode a 2005 Connie. That was SO then!!

Four hours ago I rolled out of Casey City City in Newport News, Virginia. Six seconds later I stopped at the Mc Donalds my wife wanted to eat at. It looked REALLY cool sitting in the parking lot though.
15 minutes later I had permission to get underway and immediately headed west towards Yorktown and the Colonial Parkway ( a very beautiful 45 mph get to know you road). I was in love after the first quarter mile. I now know what it is like to ride a stick of butter. Smooth doesnt do it justice, seamless fits better.
It really is deceptively fast. At 3500 rpms I was doing 85 on the I64, and had to check speed. Averaged about 36.5 on this part. The mirrors do block a lot of the view directly behind you but riding just off the center of the lane makes up for it. I'll do this the short way:

-Shifts up and down extremely smoothly
-Headlights are very adequate once adjusted up a bit
-Front brakes are feather light to operate
-Acceleration below the break in 4k rpms is wonderful (cant wait to get out of the break in period)
-The windshield is great as well. I am 6'4 and when fully up the shield directs the wind into my head, but thanks to the old Connie I am used to it.
-Engine heat was not bad. It was warm but very tolerable.
-This bike moves better than any bike above 500 pounds that I have ever ridden. And better than some under 500 pounds.
-My XL HJC helmet fits in the cases fine!!!!!!!!!!!

Downs:
-Have to be really careful getting off so you dont bump the cases
-The key takes some getting used to but your seven year old will believe its magic!

More later...

·
Registered
85 Posts
You finally got it! I was starting to feel guilty for having mine. Congrats.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Congrats reesdp! I should have mine tomorrow! Thanks for the short review.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Congrats!

I'll have mine tomorrow and that's why i will be on holiday friday! :crazyloco :crazyloco

marc

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, up to 125 miles now. Still LOVE it!!

New things to love:
-Halfway up on the shield seems to be the best for me
-I LIKE the "glove box". I have to have an ID ready every morning to get on base, so its really handy.
-Cant say enough about how flickable it is. Ran into stopped traffic on the interstate right at an exit. I was in the left lane and was going down the ramp before I even thought about it.
-I am tall. I always felt like I was sitting high on my old Connie. On this one, my kness fit into the tank like it was made for me, and my big feet dont rub on anything.
-Everyone gives it the double take, and you can see on their faces they are thinking ZX, but not quite...
-Mileage is still about the same 34-36 around town/interstate.

Annoyances:
-None

Hope to make a run this weekend that takes me across the James river twice, and through some other very nice parts of Virginia. Will do Deals Gap the last week in September, so am trying very hard to get my first 1k miles out of the way. Seriously considering Two Bros titanium...

·
Registered
33 Posts
The heat on the inner thighs is a fairly easy fix. I went to WalMart and picked up a Car Windshield sun shade. It looks like bubble wrap with reflective material on each side. Cut it up in the approximate shape of the plastic parts under the tank. Remove one hex screw and stuff it up under the fairing.

Be careful in replacing the hex screws. They can push out the rubber grommet that hold the nut. Don't ask me how I know.

Congrats on the new ride! Look forward to your posts.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
302 miles now, and wish I could get back on it and go some more. Today I rode Colonial Parkway again only this time I took the ferry across the James River at Jamestown. Bikes galore, I dealt with a small crowd around the Connie. I followed these guys the last few miles and could see them peering into their mirrors to get a look. On the boat they all said they thought it was a Beemer, and to a man were VERY surprised to find it was a Kawasaki. The jaws dropped even further when I told them the price. One of them had an FJR (he didnt say much, the jealousy was obvious). Anyway, 4k rpm's is very frustrating, but passing is still SUCH a pleasure! Stopped for a cold drink at the BP station and had to answer more questions from a guy who saw the ZX14 influence.

Ups: All the previous ones still apply
-Tried the center stand today. No problems but I am 6'4 250lbs
-Cleaning wheels of brake dust is much easier than on my old C10
-Passed $40 worth of two Harleys on talking to the tow truck driver.

Concerns
-Think the dealer will be replacing my glove box, it is very hard to open
-Cant get to 500 miles fast enough

1 - 7 of 7 Posts