Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1996 ZX-9R
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking online for bikes for a colleague's kid who wants to learn how to ride. Didn't find what they were looking for, but I found myself what I think is a screaming deal on a '96 ZX-9R, so yeah ...now I have a '96 ZX-9R.

Anyway, it's been in storage a little while and will need some TLC before I can take it to the streets. I figured I'd start with some spool lift brackets so I could at least work on the bike upright.

I ordered some Pingel spool stand bobbins from Dennis Kirk, and the website read that they would fit. Pingel's P/N is #62222 and the DK P/N is #494843.

Well, they don't work. The bolt is too small for the holes on my bike's swingarm.

Does anyone know a good spool/bobbin that fits? Manufacturer/part number? I've been reading a little this morning, mostly on the ZX forums, and I'm reading that they're both 10mm and 12mm? I'm guessing they're 12mm, but wonder if there's a mix out there?

My bike was built in Aug. '95, so it's an early build '96, maybe they welded two different mounts? I know they revised the shock linkage and rising rate on the '96 bikes, but are the swingarms the same for B3 and later models as they were for the B1 & B2 models?

· Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
5,165 Posts
I was looking online for bikes for a colleague's kid who wants to learn how to ride. Didn't find what they were looking for, but I found myself what I think is a screaming deal on a '96 ZX-9R, so yeah ...now I have a '96 ZX-9R.

Anyway, it's been in storage a little while and will need some TLC before I can take it to the streets. I figured I'd start with some spool lift brackets so I could at least work on the bike upright.

I ordered some Pingel spool stand bobbins from Dennis Kirk, and the website read that they would fit. Pingel's P/N is #62222 and the DK P/N is #494843.

Well, they don't work. The bolt is too small for the holes on my bike's swingarm.

Does anyone know a good spool/bobbin that fits? Manufacturer/part number? I've been reading a little this morning, mostly on the ZX forums, and I'm reading that they're both 10mm and 12mm? I'm guessing they're 12mm, but wonder if there's a mix out there?

My bike was built in Aug. '95, so it's an early build '96, maybe they welded two different mounts? I know they revised the shock linkage and rising rate on the '96 bikes, but are the swingarms the same for B3 and later models as they were for the B1 & B2 models?
What's the size on the 93-95 zx7 spools?

· Registered
5,165 Posts

· Registered
3,913 Posts
Run to your local Ace hardware, grab 2 m10 SHCS and 2 m12 SHCS and check, keep the receipt and return whichever didnt work, i want to say it is m12, but you'll need the length as well. Easy to figure out if you have either size metric tap as well.

· Registered
1996 ZX-9R
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The spools on this bike (and I'm guessing all B-Series bikes) are 12mm, and I got a set from Pit Bull (the paddock stand people). They fit and work fine.

Coincidentally, I was able to use the 10mm spools on my '14 KTM 1190 ADV.

· Registered
1996 ZX-9R
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Who makes a great carb rebuild kit for this model bike? I ordered a 4-pack of bottom side rebuild kits (labeled "K&L Genuine", P/N 18-9338), and they're junk. Both the float/needle valve seat assembly is too small in the bore it sits in, the little filter that clips onto it is in turn too large to fit on it, and the carb bowl gasket doesn't match the contours of the channel in which it sits.

Is the All Balls kit any better? Or do I just have to source the OEM parts I need from Keihin one-at-a-time, X4?

· Registered
5,165 Posts
Who makes a great carb rebuild kit for this model bike? I ordered a 4-pack of bottom side rebuild kits (labeled "K&L Genuine", P/N 18-9338), and they're junk. Both the float/needle valve seat assembly is too small in the bore it sits in, the little filter that clips onto it is in turn too large to fit on it, and the carb bowl gasket doesn't match the contours of the channel in which it sits.

Is the All Balls kit any better? Or do I just have to source the OEM parts I need from Keihin one-at-a-time, X4?
Some people swear by All Balls products. Some people have opposite experience with them. I haven't had the opportunity to use them yet. But, I'd give anything a try.

Reactions: Highway61

· Registered
1996 ZX-9R
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1) Is it possible to buy "stock appearing" decals for this bike that don't cost 20% of my purchase price?!? OEM stickers are nuts! The 'Ninja' labels on the rear cowl are around $105-$125 each, depending on where you get them from, and that's only if they have them, and they're in stock. I would like to put the tail stickers back on my bike and the 'ZX-9R' stickers on the bottom of the upper cowl, but all in --that's spendy.

2) Also, looking for a cool slip-on (and I assume the mid-pipe, but not sure). Is eBay (ugh) my best bet? I've seen some slip-ons listed as 'universal' on eBay and Amazon (also ugh) but finding parts that fit a 26-model-year-old bike is about as tough as you'd expect.

3) Did the North American ZX-9Rs come with passenger grab handles on the rear cowl? I've seen some B3s with them, and others without. I'd like to get some in white if it's an easy bolt on.

· Registered
486 Posts
1) Is it possible to buy "stock appearing" decals for this bike that don't cost 20% of my purchase price?!? OEM stickers are nuts! The 'Ninja' labels on the rear cowl are around $105-$125 each, depending on where you get them from, and that's only if they have them, and they're in stock. I would like to put the tail stickers back on my bike and the 'ZX-9R' stickers on the bottom of the upper cowl, but all in --that's spendy.
If you can source any OEM decals at this point, I would not hesitate. Wait until you have to pay a vinyl artist to replicate one. :oops: OEM is cheap.

· Registered
1996 ZX-9R
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My every-so-often search for a cool slip-on for my '96 ZX-9R isn't going so well, but I thought if I could branch out to other years/models, maybe I'll have better luck. I see some overlap in part numbers for ZX-9Rs and ZX-7Rs. Is anyone aware of a cross-reference guide for what may fit both bikes? Or a list of what may work from other bikes?

· Registered
1992 ZX-7(J) 2017 Z650
132 Posts
I snagged a muzzy slip-on off an FJR1300 for my ZX-7 for $120. I got very lucky but it fits and runs as well as it did before (according to my very scientific butt dyno).

· Registered
1996 ZX-9R
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I snagged a muzzy slip-on off an FJR1300 for my ZX-7 for $120. I got very lucky but it fits and runs as well as it did before (according to my very scientific butt dyno).
Did you need a specific mid-pipe to make that work? Did you already have one?

I see plenty of slip-ons for sale in the world, but I'm concerned about the mid-pipe to canister connection not working for this particular ZX-9R. Many, many after-market slip-ons came with a replacement mid-pipe for just this reason, which is what's holding me up to this point.

Is that a valid concern? Or will just about any silencer/end can work with the stock mid-pipe?

· Registered
1992 ZX-7(J) 2017 Z650
132 Posts
Wish I could tell you, it already had a muzzy slip on when I bought it, so I don't know if it had a full system already or if it's just stock pipes. I took a chance and figured if it didn't fit it'd be good garage wall art and I would do my due diligence the second time around. I'm guessing somebody else will be able to help though, there's a lot of 7/9 people on here.

7,245 Posts

K&L is what most everyone uses. It sounds like you got a kit for a different bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts