Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got another bike!!! Ive heard alot about oiling issues...the guy I got the bike from said that kawasaki resolved the oiling issues and the 97 is okay.is this true??? what other issues does anyone know of...I should know?? I had a 1980 1000 the engine had alot of engine noise.not rattles or knocks...but valves and such,shifts were well noted...the zx11 has the same engine noises.are these common??? the bikes got 13k on it..what should I do besides oil and filter change to keep the bike in shape????

·
Registered
208 Posts
Find out when the last tune-up was performed (mileage-wise). Specifically, when was the last valve adjustment? Like all high performance sportbike engines, getting the valve adjustment done on time (every 6000 miles for the ZX11) is extremely vital. Failure to do this will sooner or later result in burnt valves (usually exhaust), head rebuild and replacement of burnt valves, and of course time and money.

If it didn't come with the bike, go to the dealership and order an owners manual for your bike. In it is the periodic maintenance table detailing all the factory recommended maintenance and at which precise time and/or mileage intervals these should be performed! VERY IMPORTANT!

I've got over 83K on my '01 that I got brand new in 2001. She runs just like new! I use full synthetic oil and follow the recommended maintenance in the owners manual as best as I can.

Congratulations on the new bike! Welcome to ZXForums! And welcome to the elite group of ZX11 owners worldwide!!

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
The oiling issue have never been eliminated; improved a tiny bit but not eliminated. As ninja11zx wrote, the best single advice is to keep level at the top of sight window, even if it's a bit higher than maximum recommended level. 2nd and 3rd best advices are: avoid wheelies and avoid long and continuous high RPM/speed running.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts