Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ive been riding dirt bikes for a while and took a msf riders course about 2 years ago. I just bought a 95 zx9r from a guy my father worked with, original owner and his co-worker was his mechanic. Im a auto mechanic myself so i was wondering what i should do maintance wise to is. It has 14,5xx miles an has been sitting since September/October last year. The bike took a couple trys to start but did. I smoked for about 2 mins out the exhaust but then subsited. It idles around 1,000-1,200 rpms and is steady. If you turn the throttle to around 3xrpms it stays for a second then drops down. Im thinking the carbs are a little dirty. I was going to change the oil, air filter, clean and lube the chain, and try some fuel cleaner to see if that works. Anything else i should do? Coolant?, brake fluid? (pads still have meet). Also i just replied to a thread about service manuals. Does anyone still have one i can download? I asked him about the maintance an he said he would bring it to his friends house (the mechanic) every few months. He doesnt really know what he was getting done haha.
Btw i paid $1,900 for it. Its a marron color in great shape cosmeticly, motor didnt have any knocks or rattles, and the bike idled for about 10-15 minutes and never overheated or anything.
Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Good deal and good price.
Change all fluids and filters , fuel filter too.
Clean the carbs.
Synch em up.
I have an FSM give me an email and I"ll send you it in pdf.
14.5k is super low mileage, bout half of what my 96 has on it.
You found a cherry though, take care of her and you'll have a great bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My email is [email protected] ...thanks. Also should i change the coolant too? Regular prestone is fine right? I know its safe for aluminum. Also i think ill send the bike to the shop for the carbs tho. I never worked on a carb before (fuel injection era now) Any idea how much that should cost? To clean and synch them? Is the fuel filter a universal kind? The exhaust was changed to yoshimura but its just the can.
Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anybody want to chime in on what i should do? Also is the haynes manual good? I always have them for my cars but dont know if the bike ones are good too. Also is there a chart to tell me all the capacitys as far as oil, coolant, and what kind to use.
Sorry for being a pain, just really excited :smile
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
yes the Haynes are the 'ducks guts' just run through the usual stuff you would for a car .... do the coolant, oil, filters.... etc and see how she goes after a shake down .... might be all good ... good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks, by any chance do you know what size fuel filter i would need? It seems everyone uses a universal one like bikemaster or russel. An is the regular green prestone ok? An synthetic or non for the oil?
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I just got the bike home and off the trailer. Went to take the old battery out to replace it. No battery! Looks as tho the original owner litterally ripped it out. Can anybody take an actual picture off there battery so I can see which go to positive and which go to negative. There's the regular leads then approx 5 more thin gauge wires. One I know is postive the others I'm not sure about. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Upon further inspection. 2 of the wires were for a yusa battery tenders. No there is one spade wire. An one wire with a fuse holder at the end with a 25 amp fuse in it. Everything is covered with a layer of electrical tape close to half an inch thick.
By the way I tried looking threw diagrams but all I see is one thick postive and one thick negative with one thin negative. Is that right? I don't want to fry anything.
Thanks

·
Registered
497 Posts
Upon further inspection. 2 of the wires were for a yusa battery tenders. No there is one spade wire. An one wire with a fuse holder at the end with a 25 amp fuse in it. Everything is covered with a layer of electrical tape close to half an inch thick.
By the way I tried looking threw diagrams but all I see is one thick postive and one thick negative with one thin negative. Is that right? I don't want to fry anything.
Thanks
For my 95 zx7, if I am looking from the rear of the bike forward, my positive is on the left hand side. My neg is on the right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know that. I just don't how many wires are supposed to go to the negative terminal an how many to the positive. There are 2 extra thin wires. One with a fuse holder an a 25 amp fuse. Positive terminal but I don't know what it's for. The other I dont know if its a ground or not.
How many wires go to the negative an how many go to the positive?
Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
got the battery figured out. changed the oil and filter. went to change the air filter and found 4 k&n filters on the carbs. ive noticed the revs hang a little after cracking the throttle. the hang at about 2500 then drop down. i think its a sticky throttle tube tho cause it goes down with help. how do i know if the carbs were adjusted for the k&n and the yoshimura slip on? i noticed the carbs have a sticker saying for race use only. i also noticed oil on the block between the first two exhaust pipes, i think its the head gasket but may be the valve cover. it never overheats even with idling for 15-20 mins, should i worry or no? the coolant level is still good but im going drain and reful with new prestone.
also i noticed the muffler makes like a squeaking noise but stops if i slightly cover the exhaust pressure, does that mean it needs repacking? its not the actual muffler mounting making the noise.
thanks for any help you can provide me
Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts