Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a reminder to slow it down and be safe . . . . There were several motorcycles down today on the Los Angeles freeways, and at one point during the mid-afternoon there were two of them down at the same time in different locations. Coming back home tonight (30 minutes before sundown), while racing to get home before dark, I came across another motorcycle accident -- the mountain highway (Los Angeles Crest Highway) had to be temporarily shut down and I watched as the helicopter landed on the highway and airlifted the rider off the mountain. I sure rode a lot slower the rest of the way home once the highway was opened up again.

·
Registered
888 Posts
funny that you were racing to get home on your reminder to slow it down post ;)

but thanks for looking out.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah -- watching the airlift, combined with the earlier news about motorcycles down on the freeways, was a wake-up call for me indeed. The post was directed at myself and anyone else who likes to emulate Evel Knievel.

·
Registered
478 Posts
road hazards!

Watch out for road hazards! A guy here hit a mattress on his motorcycle and died......He did not have a helmet on.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Thats ironic. Hits a mattress (something thats supposed to be soft), and dies from hitting the pavement.....

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It is unbelievable how many people I see on the L.A. freeways with mattresses on top of their cars with just a rope around the the center and the windows down. When I was younger, I used to say that if I die on the bike, it will probably be because of a mattress on the freeway. Years later, I realize there are a million and one more possible ways of biting the dust. I continue to train myself to look for any debris, but I still do not have the quick reflexes necessary to avoid something at 70 miles per hour unless I see it way in advance. I still find myself going over small potholes on the freeway, and am almost on top of them by the time I finally see them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just a reminder to slow it down and be safe . . . . There were several motorcycles down today on the Los Angeles freeways, and at one point during the mid-afternoon there were two of them down at the same time in different locations. Coming back home tonight (30 minutes before sundown), while racing to get home before dark, I came across another motorcycle accident -- the mountain highway (Los Angeles Crest Highway) had to be temporarily shut down and I watched as the helicopter landed on the highway and airlifted the rider off the mountain. I sure rode a lot slower the rest of the way home once the highway was opened up again.
thanks for the reminder.:smile

·
Registered
888 Posts
speaking of road hazards in california..

i have mixed feelings on voting for the safety system like the other states do.
i mean having to take your car/bike to a place to be checked and pass for safety separately from smog is a pain in the ass, but that would also make california a safer place.. some people will ride their tires here until you see the fibers or hold their fenders together with ductape until it falls off and a motorcyclist hits it.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
I dont mean to sound like a dick but Ive been on a couple incidents myself and wearing my gear is pretty much the only reason I still walk around, so I can't really feel sorry for people who die due to no gear...and at 70 mph you gotta scan way ahead to be able to evade but you can still practice evasive manouvers whenever on the highway use the lines as an obstacle, just make sure theres no traffic around and be smart. I used to scan as far as my eyes would let me make things out and pick a line then try to cross to the next lane on the brake before it...start out slow maybe around 55-60 mph and don't force it trying to hard could cause you to loose control.

·
VP Whoring
14,930 Posts
Thats ironic. Hits a mattress (something thats supposed to be soft), and dies from hitting the pavement.....
He must have pissed the bed that morning. Karma..

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since my parents installed a bed alarm, which forever traumatized me the first night that it went off, I haven't re-offended.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

1 - 12 of 12 Posts