Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, johnnyb4031 we know you have the bike. None of this waiting stuff for us!

Pics, initial reports, hell if I can do a ZX-14 write-up you can get us something on this darn thing, post haste! All of us are dying to know a real consumer's first hand experience, not the hype and media crap but rather the real straight dope!

PS Some questions that scooter_scum came up with off hand, which were good ones:

Please please comment as much as you can on:

1. engine vibration - is it as smooth as the ZX14 - the new benchmark for inline fours
2. MPG (even if it is the value on the trip computer)
3. Seating position.
4. General handling for a sport tourer
5. Power (I think I know the answer to this one -- that's why I can't sleep at night)
6. Wind Protection -- is it smooth stream of air?
7. How smooth is the transmission and clutch?

·
Registered
261 Posts
LMAO... you think he is even close to a computer right now??? He's off on the test ride of his life... we may not see him for days..

Ride on johnnybdamnlucky!

·
Registered
368 Posts
johnnyb4031's last known whereabouts were somewhere between "over hill and dale" riding off into the sunset.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ok, I am back, I will answer a few of your question. First my trip was 300km,180miles each way. I picked the worst weekend to buy a new motorcycle, I hit rain, hail, and more rain. The councourse was solid, took it all in stride, handled very well in bad weather.
I have only had the zx 14 out twice, and the councorse is as smooth if not smoother then it. No engine vibration and transfer of power to the drive shaft is excellent. Fuel consumption is hard to tell considering break in, but I got 300km out of 18l of fuel, I think that would be 37.6mpg. But again this is during break in so may be harder on fuel.
Windscreen works as promised. I am 5'11" and it easly deflected the air around me. Seat and riding position is excellent. I have had the FJR out once and riding position seemed simular.
The K pass system works well, but keep forgetting to have the FOB with me, and had to keep going back to room to get it. If you are not standing right next to the bike no one can turn the ignition on. Really reccommned reading up on this if you get one, it does have a method of starting bike if FOB battery dies. LED tail light is very bright, and the guys I was ridding with said they could see my signal ligths with no problem.
At first apperance it appears big and bulky, it is larger then the FJR, but after I got use to weight and a higher and a more upright seeting position I had no problem handlining the bike in slow turns in a parking lot, city streets or hyw, and was very comfortable.
Where there you go. I am not use to writting my first impression on motorcycles, I usually look forward to reading them. If there are any other questions I would be happy to answer them if I can. I expect you will see more people with opinions about the concourse on here soon, the dealers here in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick now have there bikes, I know of one other that is now on the road.

·
Registered
261 Posts
johnnyb,

Glad you made back to write us.. And even though it was a bad weekend weather wise (hail? ouch) its sounds as if you are happy overall? Would that be true?

Is the seat firm? bottom out at all after a few hours?

I know it was wet.. but how's the braking?

I'm 5'11 too, when the windshield is down, where does the air catch you at? Just below helmet, chest? How's the wind noise? down and up?

Let us know more when you can ride in better road conditions as to how everything works.

Anything you really dont like?

Inquiring bikers need to know!

Thanks in advance,

Jerry

·
Registered
41 Posts
Braking was excellent, had to slow down fast a few times as cars where stopping on the side of the road when the hail started.
With the wind screen down the wind hits me in the chest, when fully up it comes over the top of my helmet, noise is what you would expect, and no buffiting. To say I am happy with the bike would be an understatement, it is smooth, has plenty of power, from what I have been able to do so far. The seat is great, after 3 hours of straight riding in the rain I was not uncomfortable, and the short ride I had the wife on she liked to passanger portion.
The bike feels solid in the corners, tracks well.
\LIke i said , I am use to reading not writting, so ask any question and I will try to cover.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Braking was excellent, had to slow down fast a few times as cars where stopping on the side of the road when the hail started.
With the wind screen down the wind hits me in the chest, when fully up it comes over the top of my helmet, noise is what you would expect, and no buffiting. To say I am happy with the bike would be an understatement, it is smooth, has plenty of power, from what I have been able to do so far. The seat is great, after 3 hours of straight riding in the rain I was not uncomfortable, and the short ride I had the wife on she liked to passanger portion.
The bike feels solid in the corners, tracks well.
\LIke i said , I am use to reading not writting, so ask any question and I will try to cover.
Hello Johnnyb,

Really appreciate the update on your Concours and it sounds fantastic. Sure would like to know if you are flat footed on the bike or touching the ground on your tip toes. Also, would like to know the rpm at 60 or 70 or 80 mph.

Keep on riding and updating all of us who are not so luck.

Very envious,
Bob

·
Registered
261 Posts
Johnnyb,

Yes I also am interested in rpm's at speed since the gearing is shy of overdrive.

Also, a headlighting report please.. it looks like it should be like freakin daytime in front of that thang.... can you notice the driving beams? can they be turned off? Is the headlight adjustable? from the cockpit?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am close to flat footed. The headlights worked good and yes they are adjustable. The driving lights con not be turned off, at least on our canadian model. As I am still going throught breaking in I was taking it easy, at 4000rpm in six gear, or OD, I was travellling at 135kmp, approx 80mph,at 5000 rpm I was running at 175kph, aprox 105mph. I did however bring it up to 7000rpm once or twice and it pulls excellent. Red line is 10500rpm. Around the city the fan comes on quick, I have noticed that this causes a bit of heat around the ankles.

·
Registered
151 Posts
First Impressions

Thank you for your first impressions.
I have a great interest in “Tetra-Lever Shaft Drive”.

As I read your impressions, I came to want to ride the GTR more and more early. :smile
I envy Johnny, too.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks so much Johnnyb!

Just heat around the ankles? I can live with that.....when the fan comes on on the original connie everything bakes.

WOW.....175 kph = 108.739959 mph

What are you tach'n at 90kph?

Should get pretty good mileage between there and 65mph.

2600rpms at 55mph?

Jerry

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ruiloureiro,

That link doesn't work for me.. anyone else?

Jerry

·
Registered
261 Posts
my bad...the second link does work for me...thanks!1

Jerry

·
Registered
33 Posts
johnnyb4031

I know it is hard to report on a bike. We all really appreciate any insight to the characteristics.

So nobody has said anything about the clutch and transmission. With no comments probably means it is pretty good?

What are your general impressions on the shifting of the bike?

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you have ever been on the zx14 it is as smooth if not smoother then it. One other feature I like about the Councourse is the 4 way flashers. When ridding in the rain and hail this past weekend they came in handy while trying to find an over pass to hide under.
This is my first sport tourer, I know I am not doing it justice by written about it. To me it is a very well made, quality motorcycle. It has great power, tracks well in corners and feels solid.but.
I would love to see heated grips on it, and maybe cruise control, but that may be asking to much or getting more into touring bikes. As well I would like to see the glove box lock, or not be able to open it till the key was in, like the FJR.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts