Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked this up last weekend:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To the best of my knowledge, it hasn't been run or ridden in many years. Its been down on both sides, but not hard. After the last falldowngoboom, the original owner parked it... for years. It changed hands a few times and was torn down to what you see in the photos some time last year. Everything you see is dusty & dirty, it was stored outdoors on a patio. Stinkin' (literally) gas tank was out in the yard against a fence.

I bought it without hearing it run. I drained the oil with the guy I bought it from, looking for rod bearing material. There might have been some shiny material in the oil, but I but it was cheap, so I bought it anyway. I figured if the engine was bad I could part it out.

Good news: It looks to be straight, it's mostly all there. No expensive parts broken. Corbin seat - I like Corbin seats. Other than the minor crash damage, it's generally unmolested. 16,xxx miles.

Bad news: previous owner lost the gas cap, missing passenger seat latch and lock, broken start button, broken right rearset, broken shifter, brake pedal.

Good news: I put 3 quarts of cheap oil in it, a battery from another bike, Gerry-rigged a gas tank, and... It runs!
and it doesn't make the sick rod knock my ZX11 project makes...:mfclap

Bad news: It's going to be expensive to register...:scared

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
...Bad news: It's going to be expensive to register...:scared
Why's that? I think my bikes are like $60/yr.

Like your sense of humor! :lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CA DMV fees suck for vehicles with expired registration. It will cost at least $400 to register... It's worth more parted out, but I'm a sentimental fool... however if DMV tells me they want $600 or more to register, then I'll bail on the project...

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
The new owner is responsible for past due registration fees too?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Seems a little odd to me too. I bought my bike out of state then had it a year before registering in CA. Had to get an inspection by the CHP then took the "pass report" to DMV to register. I don't recall exactly what the charges were, but including the penalty for not registering within 10 days of ownership, I think the charges were $115. This was to register Non-op. When it came time to shift from non-op to "fly" it was like $60.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From CA DMV's fee estimator:

Current Registration: 43.00
Current California Highway Patrol: 23.00
Current Vehicle License Fee: 1.00
Current Motorcycle Safety Fee: 2.00
Current County Service Authority for Freeway Emergencies Fee: 1.00
Current Fingerprint ID Fee: 1.00
Current Auto Theft and/or DUI Crime Deterrence Program: 1.00
Current Abandoned Vehicle Fee: 1.00
Current Air Quality Management District: 6.00
Alt Fuel/Tech Reg Fee: 9.00
1st Prior Year Registration: 31.00
1st Prior Year California Highway Patrol: 23.00
1st Prior Year Vehicle License Fee: 1.00
1st Prior Year Motorcycle Safety Fee: 2.00
1st Prior Year County Service Authority for Freeway Emergencies Fee: 1.00
1st Prior Year Fingerprint ID Fee: 1.00
1st Prior Year Auto Theft and/or DUI Crime Deterrence Program: 1.00
1st Prior Year Abandoned Vehicle: 1.00
1st Prior Year Air Quality Management Dist: 6.00
2nd Prior Year Registration: 31.00
2nd Prior Year California Highway Patrol: 22.00
2nd Prior Year Vehicle License Fee: 1.00
2nd Prior Year Motorcycle Safety Fee: 2.00
2nd Prior Year County Service Authority for Freeway Emergencies Fee: 1.00
2nd Prior Year Fingerprint ID Fee: 1.00
2nd Prior Year Auto Theft and/or DUI Crime Deterrence Program: 1.00
2nd Prior Year Abandoned Vehicle: 1.00
2nd Prior Year Air Quality Management Dist: 6.00
Transfer: 15.00
Use/Sales Tax: 8.00
City Vehicle Use/Sales Tax: 1.00
CHP Penalty: 80.00
1st Prior Year Registration Penalty: 30.00
1st Prior Year Vehicle License Fee Penalty: 1.00
2nd Prior Year Registration Penalty: 50.00
2nd Prior Year Vehicle License Fee Penalty: 1.00
Total Registration Fees: $398.00
Total Use/Sales Tax: $9.00
Grand Total Registration Fees: $407.00

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
@ e1: Yes, if I want to register it, I get to pay the fees. But the sale price reflected the cost to register, so I guess I won't complain...

@Rick: Yeah, it's cheaper to bring a bike in from out of state. CA vehicles with long expired registration, even cheap projects, can cost upwards of $600 or more to register.:rant

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Dude that is a nice looking project bike.
So many project B 9's popping up this winter.
If you need a hand or any parts, let me know, i've been down this road as well as Rick S and a handful of others.
You're in good hands here with this bike though.
Glad you got it running, they are pretty stout machines.
Good luck and don't forget to update with as many pics as possible.

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
Any updates on this project?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not working on it at the moment. I decided to make sure I can register it before proceeding much further... I'm currently waiting for additional paperwork from the PO...

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
excited to see this done.
do the best you can to maintain the buzz lightyear paint scheme it was one the best from the era.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha! I hate the buzz light-year paint scheme!

·
Registered
104 Posts
fyi bud, i have a 95 zx9r B2 that i need to part out. so if you need anything... hit me up. though im in Dallas,TX.

here she is - i havent been able to find a motor replacement in 3 months - so parting her out. (valves dropped, piston fried, not sure bout crank etc)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
What's an engine worth? CA DMV wants $$$ to register mine, and they have a few too many hoops they want me to jump through as well... I've considered parting out mine...

Or how much would you want for the entire bike? Does it have a current title? I could put my engine in your chassis... and keep min for spares...

·
Registered
383 Posts
@ e1: Yes, if I want to register it, I get to pay the fees. But the sale price reflected the cost to register, so I guess I won't complain...

@Rick: Yeah, it's cheaper to bring a bike in from out of state. CA vehicles with long expired registration, even cheap projects, can cost upwards of $600 or more to register.:rant
dude, put the plate from your zx11 on the back of that thing when you ride.. no one will know the difference.. as long as you dont have any type of decals on your bike.

·
Premium Member
5,923 Posts
Here in Oregon they used to make us pay back registration for camper trailers. They finally did away with it, I think because there were so many camper trailers sitting around decomposing on ther axles.

Seems pretty stupid for the state to expect that. If the bike wasn't being used for a few years, then it wasn't on public roads and should not be paying fees IMO.

·
Registered
23 Posts
just bought myself a 94 zx9r... and I need fairings bad!!!! and a muffler... do you still have any parts from the 95?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts