Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get some input from some who have done it themselves or had someone else do it. I have an '07 ZZR600...getting ready to do an exhaust swap which includes a different style header. Do I do the work myself or would it be over my head?...I am mechanically inclined, know how to read directions, and I am sure I probably have the tools to do it...but would it be better to have someone else do it? I know I would still want to have someone tune it, but the big bucks are spent on the install. Thanks for any input. Be safe.

·
Registered
649 Posts
If you have an '07 there will be no jetting as it is fuel injected. Get a PC3 and look for some maps for it on line. You can do it all yourself and save a bit of dough for something else.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you feel confident in doing it then do it. I done mine on my '00 GSXr 600. It wasn't too bad. It can be time consuming to get it dialed in. Just make sure you hook up all hoses, wires and other stuff after you're done.

Good luck and let us know how it runs!

·
Registered
201 Posts
When you do the exhaust and jet kit be sure to disconnect the emmissions canister. It is the only way to accurately tune the carbs when doing a jet kit and get rid of the deceleration pop from the exhaust when you let off the throttle. Good luck they aren't that hard to do. :crazyloco

·
Registered
201 Posts
I know on my 9R it is just above the valve cover. On my bike it was a small long round canister that has a hose going into it from each side. It helps to recirculate some air to help lower emissions on bikes. Once you are ready to do the mod let know I will send you some pictures of the components and how it should look when it done. With detailed instructions on how to do it. :crazyloco

·
Registered
990 Posts
The most daunting thing about the exhaust swap first time is having to remove the bodywork & anything that gets in the way of the pipes i.e. oil cooler & radiator. On my 1100 I had to drain the coolant & remove the radiator but the oil cooler swung out of the way.

Make sure the new exhaust system comes with new gaskets where the pipes go into the exhaust ports, as the old ones will be crushed & will not give a good seal. If not make sure you get a set beforehand. Also get a tube of exhaust cement to seal the joints if needed, check instructions. The cement is handy for sticking the gaskets in the ports.

Do a trial fit of the system using the old gaskets to make sure everything goes together okay, paying attention to clearance around the pipes. The collector will most probably twist around until you get everything lined up properly. Once it is all in place, mark the joints so that you can do the final fit without too much fiddling around.

When you refit the bodywork make sure no plastic is touching. The system may come with wadding to go between pipes & bodywork or the plastic may need a trim.

Check the website of the maker of the exhaust, it should tell you what jetting changes are needed, if any. Jet kits can be got but if you are going for a performance exhaust the final setup is best done on a rolling road. The biggest difference to jetting would be if you were fitting a more free flowing air filter element, this would need jetting up & would also give the biggest increase in power.

Alternative is just to swap the end can.......... Check to see how much difference changing the whole system actaully makes, it could save a lot of hassle if the power gains are only marginal :squint

The parts diagrams on http://www.buykawasaki.com/Default.asp? are handy for looking up what is what on the bike. Click Motorcycle & look up your model then the parts diagrams.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I wanted to get some input from some who have done it themselves or had someone else do it. I have an '07 ZZR600...getting ready to do an exhaust swap which includes a different style header. Do I do the work myself or would it be over my head?...I am mechanically inclined, know how to read directions, and I am sure I probably have the tools to do it...but would it be better to have someone else do it? I know I would still want to have someone tune it, but the big bucks are spent on the install. Thanks for any input. Be safe.
Whatever you do do NOT take the carbs off the bank,cuz you will need to synk them and without a stick it really sucks. Jetting is trail and adjustment(not too bad though) start by setting the e-clip (on your needle) in the middle and please, take your time do not try to rush the job and you will be golden~

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hey dude, if you do it yourself : pm me and I'll give you my number and walk you through it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an '01 ZX-6R, which is nearly identical to the 2007 ZZR, and I installed a stage one Dynojet Kit about 2 years ago with a Muzzy full titanium exhaust system. I did it myself, and it was the first time I had done one.

First I took off all the body work (~25 minutes).
Next I removed the gas tank/air filter (~15 minutes)
I did not need to drain any fluids, I only needed to loosen the radiator and swing it forward from the top bolts to get the new exhaust to fit. However, my new exhaust is the same shape as the stock one.

To the real question... I removed the carbs as a 4 piece unit. Do not disassemble the carb assembly into individual units.

Once they were out, it took mere minutes to swap the jets. I used the recommended c-clip settings on the dynojet needles (there were 4 to choose from), and it was spot-on so I didn't need to go back in and adjust it. I have a California model, and didn't disconnect the emissions canister or anything else when tuning and it runs beautifully; better than the day I bought it in fact. If you only touch what you're supposed to, there shouldn't even be a need for tuning, especially on a 2007.

I have a four tube manometer for syncing the carbs, but I didn't even have to use it. Again, If you only touch the jets you're supposed to, the idle mixture should remain intact across all four carbs.

The hardest part of the whole thing was installing the carbs back in the bike and hooking the throttle cable back up (you don't even need to take it off actually). I needed a LOT of patience trying to squeeze the carb assembly back in, a really long T-handle allen head wrench to tighten the rubber boots around the carb, and the usual sphaghetti fingers. All in all, I did mine in one afternoon/evening, but I took extra care that I'm sure most mechanics would not.

I bolted on the new exhaust (new gaskets included), pieced together the gas tank and bodywork, and I was done. Very gratifiying.

It helps to have the factory service manual, which I had, but there is NO substitute for labeling your own cables, hoses, and wires! Also, the exploded parts diagrams available for free on the kawasaki website can go a loooong way if you don't have a manual.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts